Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 5 Average
It's Been 20 Years, Do You Still Watch And Remember?
I remember that day like it was yesterday. So many have forgotten it seems. I was a drilling reservist with the Navy Reserves back then, a low ranking E5. I was working at my civilian job as I call it. Started off like any ordinary day. Beautiful weather, and I was sitting at my desk listening to the radio. Music was interrupted for a special bulletin that a plane had crashed into one of the World Trade Center towers. I remember hearing that and thought how awful that sounded. I was picturing a little Cessna or something. They said firemen were heading to where the plane crashed, and I got a shiver. I was kind of half listening to the radio, and half working. My hubby, who had the day off from his job, called me from home shortly after and asked if I heard about the plane crashing into one of the towers. I told him yeah, and how awful. Within a couple minutes into the phone conversation, my hubby shouted, swore, and dropped the phone on the floor. I heard the phone thud, and I was like “what’s going on, are you all right?”. He told me a second plane, a large passenger jet, crashed into the other tower. It felt like my heart froze into my chest. I knew then that we were under attack. 

The rest of the day was kind of a blur. Nobody in our office got any work done the rest of the day. One of the departments where I worked had a satellite TV, and it just kept showing the South tower crashing to the ground over and over, like an instant replay. I almost threw up. I was just in shock, was crying, angry, and wanted to punch someone. I recall attempting to call my reserve center to see if they needed any assistance. I wasn’t able to get through. Later that night, my unit commanding officer called me. They were doing a phone muster to account for everyone at the reserve center. He sounded so tired, and I remember hearing his baby screaming in the background. Just a horrific day. It changed things forever for many. 

Never Forget!
[Image: attachment.php?aid=8180]

Messages In This Thread
RE: It's Been 20 Years, Do You Still Watch And Remember? - by drussell41 - 09-12-2020, 12:20 AM
RE: It's Been 20 Years, Do You Still Watch And Remember? - by ChiefD - 09-12-2020, 01:12 AM