Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Lets STOP With The Mask Charade Masquerade! Designing A New Medical Mask!
Explanation: Uhm @"Mystic Wanderer" and @"gordi"

Newly Designed Nanowire Material For Face Masks Can Actually Destroy Pathogens

Quote:The benefits of wearing face masks to help slow the spread of COVID-19 are now well understood, but scientists are still searching for better materials to use – and a filter 'paper' made up of titanium oxide nanowires is showing a lot of promise.

The new material is so good at trapping pathogens, and destroying them when ultraviolet light is applied, it could also be used in air conditioning units and ventilation systems, according to the developers.

While the nanowire-based mask looks as though it's made from regular filter paper, it brings extra antibacterial and antiviral properties to the material, making it far more effective at eliminating germs – and making it reusable, too.

"Since our filter is exceptionally good at absorbing moisture, it can trap droplets that carry viruses and bacteria," says physicist László Forró, from the Laboratory of Physics of Complex Matter at EPFL in Switzerland.

"This creates a favourable environment for the oxidation process, which is triggered by light."

The photocatalytic properties of titanium dioxide are key – when ultraviolet light hits the mask, its fibres convert moisture held in the nanowires into oxidising agents (including hydrogen peroxide), which then have the potential to destroy pathogens upon contact.

In experiments on the material, the team showed how the filter could destroy Escherichia coli bacteria and degrade strands of DNA, essentially wiping out dangerous microorganisms in the mask itself.

Please read the FULL article linked above ok.

@"Ninurta"

As for neck seal requirement for the helmet ... I disagree and feel that a POSITIVE pressure environment which expels air out around the neckline and keeps the outside air out and acts as an air conditioning unit to heat or cool the person wearing it. In other words I am fine for outward going leaks of air.

@"Bally002"

That have being said ... I however agree that the 3d face scanning is NOT required as much as I desire it.

Here is why ...

Is 3D Printing with rubber possible?

Personal Disclosure:  @ Everyone ...

The incoming air needs to be properly filtered and decontaminated BUT the expelled air could also be refiltered and decontaminated before being exhausted ... I particularly liked the face hugger mask design with the over the shoulder breathing exhaust airhose tail which can easily be adapted to house a filtering system.

Please let me know how you feel about the above information that I have supplied ok?

Cheers minusculebeercheers
OL at beez - "Here, if you have a milkshake, and I have a milkshake, and I have a straw. There it is, it's a straw, you see? Watch it. Now my straw reaches across the room and starts to drink your milkshake. I... drink... your... milkshake. I drink it up!"

Do not engage in useless activity ... and ... from one thing, know many things!

Think Globally, Act Locally, Feel Internally ... Wash, Rinse, Dry and Repeat!

It's Just A Ride!

Messages In This Thread
RE: Lets STOP With The Mask Charade Masquerade! Designing A New Medical Mask! - by OmegaLogos - 08-18-2020, 11:57 AM