Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Lets STOP With The Mask Charade Masquerade! Designing A New Medical Mask!
(08-16-2020, 05:06 PM)F2d5thCav Wrote: How do you propose to manufacture the mask, with 3D printing?

Not many will have those devices for quite a while.

So, after the mask is printed, who -ensures- the file is not merely deleted, but bleached as in bits scrambled beyond any hope of re-ordering them?

Yeah, I'm suspicious.  If I can't control a process with that kind of data in it from start to finish, I won't do it.

Probably are ways around this concern, but one can't assume that users will have control of 3D printers and any data they may produce.

Cheers

The 3D face scan is a non-issue, as it is worse than useless, it could actually be counter-productive. A better solution is a pliable rubber face seal as it found along the edges of a gas masks. That will conform to any changes in facial structure (temporary ones are what I have in mind - swellings from violence and that sort of thing), and it is softer on the face, making it easier to wear for a longer term. They also seal to the face well enough to allow for negative internal pressure which seals the mask to one's face even tighter. Anyone who has ever performed a gas mask function test after donning one can attest to that.

A bigger problem is the 3D printing aspect. If I can afford a 3D printer, I can afford a case of surplus gas masks. 3D printers ain't cheap, and I'd never buy one (and the printing materials, too) just to print out a mask.

If one is going with a helmet design, the facial seal is a non-issue as well. What would have to be sealed is where the air gets in, which in a helmet design is around the neck. Who wants a tight seal around their neck? Because of that, the helmet may need some sort of shoulder support, which is then the part that would need to be sealed, not the facial portion of the helmet, which would be sealed to the headpiece of the helmet rather than the face.

Just some thoughts.

Diogenes was eating bread and lentils for supper. He was seen by the philosopher Aristippus, who lived comfortably by flattering the king.

Said Aristippus, ‘If you would learn to be subservient to the king you would not have to live on lentils.’ Said Diogenes, ‘Learn to live on lentils and you will not have to be subservient to the king.’

Messages In This Thread
RE: Lets STOP With The Mask Charade Masquerade! Designing A New Medical Mask! - by Ninurta - 08-17-2020, 01:21 AM