Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Suicide deaths forecast for 13.7% increase
Explanation: I asked a couple of questions related to covid19 and mental health in another thread ...

Left-wing views among young women are linked to mental illness   by @"Wallfire" 

and I quote myself ...

Quote:@ Everybody ...

What if I told you that Covid19 only affects like 1-2% [1in 50-100] of the population and of those infected ... about 4-5% die [1 in 20-25] ??? [Image: tinyhuh.png]

Would you shut down everything and spend megabux in the billions of $'s range on fixing that?

Personal Disclosure: Now what if I told you that 25% of everybody on earth [1 in 4] ... will suffer a mental health issue inside a single year ... and that 60% [6 in 10] will suffer a mental health issue inside a single lifetime??? [Image: tinywhat.png]

Would you shut down everything and spend megabux in the trillions of $'s range on fixing that?

And I realized I hadn't considered nor included the mortality rate for mental health issues.

So I went and looked things up and did some basic research and here is what I have found out ...

How common are mental health problems?

Quote:Suicidal thoughts and self-harm
Suicidal thoughts and self-harm aren’t mental health diagnoses. But they are related to mental health. Over the course of someone’s lifetime [2]: Women are more likely to have suicidal thoughts and make suicide attempts than men [2]. But men are 3 times more likely to take their own life than women [4].

Suicide deaths forecast for 13.7% increase

Quote:According to the model, under the best-case scenario, Australia was likely to see 19 878 suicide deaths over the period 2020–2025, an increase of at least 13.7%.

The best-case scenario also forecast that there would be 173 123 hospitalisations for self-harm and 1.6 million mental health-related ED presentations.

Quote:This latest report comes after InSight+ last week published a View from experts at the Black Dog Institute questioning the validity of the Brain and Mind Centre’s previous place-based modelling. That modelling, released in May, had projected that increased unemployment, social disconnection and health services at capacity would result in an extra 750–1500 suicides per year over 5 years, with an increase rate of 25–50% per year.

Personal Disclosure: Ok let me crank the maths now eh ...

The % of covid10 deaths overall [using the above figures ok] is 1 in 1000 people die OR 0.1%!

OK we round off 19,878 to 20,000 for ease of doing maths ... and the Australian population is 26million people [2020 numbers rounded up]  divided by 20,000 = 1300 ... 100/1300 = 0.077%

So mental health issues AFFECT far more people BUT kill less than covid19 kills. 

I hope this new perspective helps my fellow rogues make the best decisions they can in regards to how deadly covid19 and mental health issues are.

Stay Healthy ok. minusculebeercheers
OL at beez - "Here, if you have a milkshake, and I have a milkshake, and I have a straw. There it is, it's a straw, you see? Watch it. Now my straw reaches across the room and starts to drink your milkshake. I... drink... your... milkshake. I drink it up!"

Do not engage in useless activity ... and ... from one thing, know many things!

Think Globally, Act Locally, Feel Internally ... Wash, Rinse, Dry and Repeat!

It's Just A Ride!