Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Jeff Sessions loses comeback bid in Alabama runoff
(07-15-2020, 12:02 PM)MarioOnTheFly Wrote:
(07-15-2020, 11:56 AM)TheRedneck Wrote: His recusal was pretty much his entire job performance. What else did Sessions do besides recuse himself? I can't think of anything.

Alabama may be known for our corrupt politics (we did hire Governor James "Big Jim" Folsom - the "honest crook"), but we do expect our politicians to do more than sit there like a bump on a log. The idea was to drain the swamp, and it seems we have just drained at least one of those swamp critters.

TheRedneck

When Trump appointed him, I remember the republicans were all full of praise for him. I'm not in the know about how much he did while he was in this position so I'll take your word on that. 

Thinking about him recusing from the Russia case...was it legally correct ? I know if I were Trump I wouldnt like it of course, but...did he have a choice ?

The recusal itself was probably legally correct, since he was so involved with the campaign. The problem came with the fact that everything that happened afterward, including several things that Sessions' recusal should not have mattered in, were tied back to the recusal. Had Sessions fought that, I would be much more forgiving. Had Sessions tried to conduct investigations into the tons of questionable actions taken by those around him, I would likely have been more forgiving. But he did nothing, leaving Trump to fight all by himself against an obviously corrupt political machine.

Donald Trump tends to knee-jerk, especially when attacked. That's a personality flaw that I am well aware of, and it is the main reason he is known for firing people. That means that it is completely possible he fired Sessions in such a knee-jerk reaction to something that we were not privy to. Had that happened, he would likely have forgotten all about the issue by now and not have been so anti-Sessions. The fact that he still has such concerns after all this time tells me that Sessions' firing was not a knee-jerk reaction and thus was probably well-deserved.

None of us know what exactly goes on in the DoJ. It is secretive for a reason. So I guess I needed that recommendation from Trump to let me know that there wasn't something happening that I just wasn't seeing. Sessions really was just resting on his laurels.

TheRedneck

Messages In This Thread
RE: Jeff Sessions loses comeback bid in Alabama runoff - by TheRedneck - 07-15-2020, 12:42 PM