Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Why Italy and Iran
Regarding the 300,000 Chinese workers in Italy, unless I miss my guess the virus outbreak kicked into high gear in Italy shortly after the end of the Chinese New Year, when those workers would have been returning from home to start working again. If a few of them were coming back from the Wuhan area, that could have been several "patient zeros" in Italy, and if the virus does indeed have a spread factor of 2.5 persons infected by each infected person, it could have spread fairly quickly, explaining why Italy has been hit so hard.

On the other hand, I've not seen a breakdown of the numbers from Italy by nationality group, so I don't know if ANY of the Chinese workers had it at all.

Another factor in Italy at least is the age of their population - Italy has a sizeable number of people over 60, and that demographic is the hardest hit by this virus, meaning Italy has a higher proportion of at-risk individuals, and therefore would be expected to have been hit harder than nations with a younger demographic.

P.S. - If you'd like me to lighten the text in your post, I can do that. Several of mine have posted with that "dark" theme as well lately, and I've had to learn how to fix them. It seems to happen most often when I cut and paste text from other web pages for some reason. I don't know why it's doing that, however.
Diogenes was eating bread and lentils for supper. He was seen by the philosopher Aristippus, who lived comfortably by flattering the king.

Said Aristippus, ‘If you would learn to be subservient to the king you would not have to live on lentils.’ Said Diogenes, ‘Learn to live on lentils and you will not have to be subservient to the king.’

Messages In This Thread
Why Italy and Iran - by 727Sky - 03-26-2020, 07:13 AM
RE: Why Italy and Iran - by Ninurta - 03-26-2020, 11:59 AM
RE: Why Italy and Iran - by Wallfire - 03-26-2020, 01:55 PM
RE: Why Italy and Iran - by 727Sky - 04-18-2020, 12:13 AM