Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Survival Shopping in Oz with OL, on $35 budget for 2wks with coffee, bacon, icecream!
Quote:Now for comparison a cheap packet of 20 cigs cost about $28 now a days in Australia at Woolworths.

Good lord! that's about $18.68 USD or 14.5 GBP - PER PACK! that's frikkin' robbery! Do y'all need some tobacco seed? DIY beats hell out of getting rolled on the daily! I quit smoking about 5 months ago, but when I quit I was only spending between $2.50 and $3.00 USD per pack - a far cry from $18.68!

Around here, ramen noodles run about 10 cents a pack, and I tend to get them in cases of 36, frozen burritos go for about $3.50 per 8-pack, and I stocked up on MRE's for about $1.50 per meal for the upcoming war. Additionally, rice is fairly cheap and keeps well - and comes in pretty filling once you expand it with water and cook it up. Beyond those staples, whatever you choose to spice them up or fill them out with varies as to cost. All prices above in USD. Beans and corn meal for bread are a staple, and none too expensive - they can be grown out back, which makes them even cheaper.

.22 shells are around 12 cents each, and one, well placed, can feed you for about 3 days or so, depending on what you shoot with it. In any event, supplementing the above supplies with what you can drag out of the woods doesn't hurt, and brings the price per meal down, some times substantially.

Wild food from the countryside helps in stretching the budget. For example, a weed called "goosefoot" (chenopodium sp.) can be eaten for greens, used to expand a meal, or - at the right time of the year - have seed harvested from it for pseudo-cereal grains. In fancy places, they call those seeds "quinoa" or "chia", but out here in the weeds, we just call it a cheap meal (and it has been so for over 5000 years)... so long as we don't use those fancy folks as a middle-man. They tend to mark it up a lot! Then again, ANY markup is "a lot" when you consider it's a weed free for the picking...

An example of how it works would be 4 packs of ramen noodles (40 cents), a can of chili (3.50) and a pack of cheese (2.00) can be made into a layered casserole that will feed one person for about 3 days - 5.90/3 days = 1.97/day to eat like a king... and it contains all of the basic food groups, including meat and dairy!
Diogenes was eating bread and lentils for supper. He was seen by the philosopher Aristippus, who lived comfortably by flattering the king.

Said Aristippus, ‘If you would learn to be subservient to the king you would not have to live on lentils.’ Said Diogenes, ‘Learn to live on lentils and you will not have to be subservient to the king.’

Messages In This Thread
RE: Survival Shopping in Oz with OL, on $35 budget for 2wks with coffee, bacon, icecream! - by Ninurta - 02-08-2020, 05:18 AM