Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Australia Wields a New DNA Tool to Crack Missing-Person Mysteries
(05-29-2022, 09:45 PM)EndtheMadnessNow Wrote: *Predictive* policing — going after a suspect based on what he or she *might* look like, from recovered DNA, is dangerous Minority Report territory, imo. DNA phenotyping predicts possible physical appearance — hair, eye, skin color, height, race, etc. — from, say, a single hair follicle.

Yes, it's a dangerous notion, in more ways than one.

Genetic phenotyping is pretty inexact, and needS more work and development. It only predicts "probabilities", not certainties. For example, my own genetic phenotype predicts blonde hair and brown eyes. I have (had) black hair and blue or gray eyes. My folks said I was actually born with blonde hair, but that it turned black within hours of my birth and was black ever since, until it went gray.

so it's not unlikely that police could get an incorrect phenotype that did not actually pertain to the subject, and based upon that description, look at arresting the wrong people while the actual perpetrator skated off free as a bird. So not only could it put innocent people in the hotseat, it could let the guilty go free. to do more crime unobstructed.

Diogenes was eating bread and lentils for supper. He was seen by the philosopher Aristippus, who lived comfortably by flattering the king.

Said Aristippus, ‘If you would learn to be subservient to the king you would not have to live on lentils.’ Said Diogenes, ‘Learn to live on lentils and you will not have to be subservient to the king.’

Messages In This Thread
RE: Australia Wields a New DNA Tool to Crack Missing-Person Mysteries - by Ninurta - 05-29-2022, 10:38 PM