Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
US Navy: 9 suicides in 9 months on the USS George Washington
Happen to catch this tragic story from David Paulides. WTF is going on??

"You aren’t hearing about this, 9 suicides in 9 months on the USS George Washington. Why now? What changed? I’ve stated hundreds of times in the last 18 months, the number of suicides in the USA is off the charts and the reason CDC won’t release stats for last 2 yrs."

Quote:Hundreds of Sailors Being Moved Off Carrier After Surge of Suicides, Captain Tells Crew

The commanding officer of the USS George Washington told his crew Thursday that the Navy will begin to move sailors off of the aircraft carrier following a string of suicides and complaints from service members about conditions aboard the ship, whose projected departure from the shipyards has been pushed back once again.

Capt. Brent Gaut announced that the ship will move 260 sailors "to an offsite barracks-type living arrangement on Norfolk Naval Shipyard in Portsmouth" -- specifically, a Navy Gateway Inn and Suites -- starting Monday, according to a recording of the announcement reviewed by Military.com.

"We'll be able to expand that number at about 50 additional beds per week as we figure out exactly what is needed," Gaut continued.

The moves comes at the end of a month that saw three sailors aboard the ship die via suicide, after a previously undisclosed string of suicides going back to at least July of last year.

Military.com has been able to confirm at least five suicides by sailors assigned to the ship in the last 10 months -- the Navy has disputed the cause of death for one of those sailors -- and eight in total since November 2019.

It also follows an April 22 visit to the ship by the Navy's top enlisted official, Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy Russell Smith, in which the crew was told the service is largely powerless to improve conditions.

Smith told a sailor who had asked about living conditions that the Navy "probably could have done better to manage your expectations coming in here" before informing the crew that raising concerns should be done "with reasonable expectations and then understanding what ... what this is like."

"What you're not doing is sleeping in a foxhole like a Marine might be doing," he added.

According to the commanding officer, the ship currently has 422 sailors living on board. Since sailors typically do not receive an allowance for housing until the E-5 rank, those living on board a ship while it's in a shipyard tend to be the most junior crew members.

I personally spent time in dry dock shipyards and granted it effin sucks big time, but C'mon it's not so bad to take your own life. The ever weakening of our military is deeply concerning. I guess today's generation is much weaker/woke shit then when I served. Very sad & angry at same time.

Aside from the Navy, the growing homelessness & drug addiction due to skyrocketing rent & home prices is only going to increase the suicide rate all over the Country. The fall of civilization is nigh?
"The New World fell not to a sword but to a meme." – Daniel Quinn

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that." ― John Lennon

Rogue News says that the US is a reality show posing as an Empire.

Messages In This Thread
US Navy: 9 suicides in 9 months on the USS George Washington - by EndtheMadnessNow - 05-04-2022, 09:29 PM