Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Any suggestions and help appreciated, buying pistol
(04-23-2022, 12:57 AM)OmegaLogos Wrote: Explanation: Get the gun you feel comfortable using ok ...

However you are asking for suggestions and here is mine ...

I am NOT a gun expert at all ok ... so having said that I think the following is both logical and reasonable to suggest ...

Older petite female who needs a C&C firearm thats reliable ...

Its a no brainer ... I suggest the S&W model 640 .357 Magnum/38 P+ with the concealed hammer [for snag free usage when C&C'ing]

https://www.smith-wesson.com/product/model-640

[Image: 163690-sw-OnWhite-Right.png?itok=bYfoBjjk]

Quote:Specs
SKU 163690
Model Model 640
Caliber 357 Magnum, 38 S&W SPECIAL +P
Capacity 5
Length 6.6
Front Sight Black Blade
Rear Sight Fixed
Action Double Action Only
Grip Synthetic
Cylinder Material Stainless Steel
Barrel Material Stainless Steel
Frame Material Stainless Steel
Frame Finish Satin Stainless
Barrel Length 2.125" (5.4 cm)
Weight 22.1 oz.
State Compliance CA,MA

MSRP: $ 795.00

Quote:Smith & Wesson J-Frame revolvers have had your back since 1950.  These small revolvers were designed to fire a full power round and are as simple and easy to use as they are reliable.  Available in various calibers and with three diverse hammer designs, it is no surprise that the Smith & Wesson J-Frame has become the most popular, small-frame, defense revolver on the market.
The Model 640, is a variation of the Model 40 Centennial that integrates the time-tested features of the original with modern advancements.  The Model 640 is a small-frame, concealed-hammer revolver that packs a full-sized punch.

• Stainless steel frame, barrel and cylinder
• Black Blade Front Sight and Fixed Rear Sight
• Snag-Free enclosed hammer
• Rated for continuous +P Use

ALL BACKED BY OUR SMITH & WESSON LIFETIME SERVICE POLICY.
Availability subject to applicable federal, state and local laws, regulations, and ordinances.

At near $800 it is not cheap ... but it does tick every other box and with 2 types of ammo available it may be cheaper in the long run ammo-wise.

Personal Disclosure: I hope this helps! minusculebeercheers 

Thank you!!

Yes, I went to the store today and was trying out different ones. 
A couple felt better than others, due to short butt (handle)

But I am not familiar with the different brands, hence why I am reaching out for suggestions.

Jim's Hi Power Browning 9mm is an excellent weapon but I just do not feel comfortable using it for C&C

I know I want a pistol with a mag, holding at least 10+ -- although I know some only hold 8+1 

There is another gun shop in town, so will check there too but do not believe they carry as many in store to be able to look at and try out.

We also have a 38 Special revolver, that I keep in our bedside table
Jim's Browning however, I have by me where I sit most of the time in the living room. Just in case, I want some serious stopping power if the situation ever calls for it  (hopefully not)

a.k.a. 'snarky412'

Messages In This Thread
RE: Any suggestions and help appreciated, buying pistol - by senona - 04-23-2022, 01:15 AM