Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Amazon is a RipOff
(04-13-2022, 07:49 AM)FlyingClayDisk Wrote: Senona and DTOM,

I'm all for getting something from Amazon if the item can be had at a reasonable price, but a lot of the stuff I've been looking at lately is far from reasonable.  I still check Amazon, but anymore I'm a lot more apt to shop around at several online locations prior to buying it on Amazon.  That's relatively new.  Not that long ago just about no one could beat Amazon price wise, but now not so much.

And it's not just Amazon proper; the vendors have a lot to do with it too.  I mean, they're the ones who set the prices, not Amazon for the most part, but I think many of the vendors on Amazon are getting greedy.  Just tonight I was looking up A5 sized hardcover notebooks.  Staples had one for $6.29, and the exact same notebook was $19.50 (and that was the cheapest of about 5 amazon vendors).  That's better than 3x the cost on the exact same item.  Just to make sure it wasn't a mistake at Staples, I also checked Office Depot and Target, and their prices were all between $6 and $7 bucks for the same notebook.  Another example, two days ago I was looking for filters for one of my 3M respirators (for auto painting).  Granted, these are not cheap filters, but Amazon wanted $80 bucks for them (and my respirator takes (2) of them).  I found them for $29 buck for a set elsewhere, and again I checked several places and they were all the same ballpark.  $80 bucks on Amazon vs. $29 bucks elsewhere (that's more than 2.7x higher on Amazon).  The real kicker was...these filters aren't even sold separately, they're sold in pairs! 

If it was 10-15%, and I could get it next day, then no problem, but it was 270% higher on Amazon.  Hey, I was born at night, but I wasn't born LAST night, Amazon!

And another thing, I see a lot of reviews where people are getting 'used' stuff on Amazon when they bought new.  I was reading the reviews on my filters (above) and several people said the ones they got from Amazon were not in the foil packaging.  WHOA!  That's a BIG deal!!  Someone could get killed over stuff like that!  Those filters have a lifespan, and once they come out of the foil packaging the clock starts ticking.  Use an old one where the activated carbon is spent, and you could be taking the big "dirt nap" from just a few minutes in a paint booth!!!  Same for insecticides...you don't mess around with that stuff.  I don't think it was malicious, probably just someone exchanged the product when it didn't fit their off-brand respirator, but still.  I've seen the same thing on Amazon Basics (stuff sold by Amazon itself, as the vendor).  Not respirator filters, but things like luggage and other items, and people receive stuff which is clearly worn or used, but sold as new.  That's straight-up fraud right there.  Granted, it's not all Amazon's fault, but they don't do anything to police stuff like that either, AND Amazon's return policy is so generous it just invites behavior like that because Amazon just pushes it all off on the vendor (so the vendor has no recourse outside of an insurance claim which they're not gonna' do unless it's big bucks).

Anyway, if the product can be had for reasonable prices from Amazon I'm all for it.

BTW...I really don't have an issue with products from China (like some do).  The reality is, China can manufacture stuff cheaper than the US, and unfortunately it's just a fact of life...and money don't grow on trees (at least not in my yard anyway).  So China wasn't the issue, as much as the way Amazon prioritizes some of the Chinese products over specific search results for an exact manufacturer (like an alternate).

I completely understand where you are coming from about the increase in prices, hence why I research first before I buy anything. 

When it comes to notebooks and such, I usually go to Office Depot so I can look at them in person. 
To see how they are made and the quality. 

CVS has some planners/notebooks that are made nice for a little more, but I usually get a 40% off coupon for one item and will use it on it

YES, I have noticed that too about the complaints of receiving used items.
So far, knock on wood, I have yet to experience that.

But if I ever do, you can bet your sweet azz I will be returning it. LOL
(.... and get a coupon from Kohls while I'm at it  minusculerolleyes)

a.k.a. 'snarky412'

Messages In This Thread
Amazon is a RipOff - by FlyingClayDisk - 04-13-2022, 05:24 AM
RE: Amazon is a RipOff - by DontTreadOnMe - 04-13-2022, 06:05 AM
RE: Amazon is a RipOff - by senona - 04-13-2022, 06:23 AM
RE: Amazon is a RipOff - by FlyingClayDisk - 04-13-2022, 07:49 AM
RE: Amazon is a RipOff - by senona - 04-14-2022, 12:17 AM
RE: Amazon is a RipOff - by GeauxHomeLittleD - 04-13-2022, 03:13 PM
RE: Amazon is a RipOff - by guohua - 04-13-2022, 09:22 PM
RE: Amazon is a RipOff - by kdog - 04-13-2022, 10:17 PM
RE: Amazon is a RipOff - by guohua - 04-13-2022, 11:41 PM
RE: Amazon is a RipOff - by beez - 04-14-2022, 12:34 AM