Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Latest Beer Review
(04-02-2022, 05:21 AM)Michigan Swamp Buck Wrote: A fellow at work suggested I try this brew, so I did. Here is my beer snob review . . .

New Belgium Brewing, Fort Collins, Colorado and Asheville, NC

VooDoo Ranger - Imperial IPA Pale Ale

A full, moderately lasting head (upon a quick pour) with ample lacing. Well carbonated with a clear amber color and no particulates. It has a strong piney aroma with a sweat grapefruit accent. The first taste is a strong hops flavor the same as the aroma, but not as strong tasting as the aroma would lead one to believe.  It has a quick foamy mouth feel that dissipates quickly into a fruity finish and a well lived, mildly dry, peppery after taste. A rather full bodied pale ale with a nutty malt flavor in the background adding to the body.

The alcohol is not very noticeable , something I expected before the finish, but after I consumed my first 12 ounce bottle, I could feel the 9% ABV reported on the label. Overall, it's quite good regardless of the  name "VooDoo Ranger" and cartoon label design. The glass bottle is actually nice having a raised band embossed with the brewery's name where the shoulder of the bottle meets the neck. It may become a collectible bottle someday with the cartoon label even adding to it's value.

Commercial Description: A rare blend of choice hops creates an explosion of fresh cut pine and citrus flavors for a complex, rich and delicious finish. 9% ABV.
Includes an "Enjoy by" date about one month from purchase.

Interesting you'd pick this particular brew.  Personally, I like New Belgium a lot too, but they have made some waves here in Colorado recently.  New Belgium Brewing was purchased by Kirin Holdings Inc., a Japanese brewing empire, in 2019.  I've not tried the 'VooDoo Ranger' persuasion yet, but I do like New Belgium beer in general.  Fat Tire is probably my go-to.  The sale to Kirin kind of takes them out of the "Craft Beer" market segment though. 

The whole craft beer thing in Colorado has a pretty interesting trajectory.  Lots of really good local brews are available here.  Some not so good ones too, and even some really bizarre ones here as well.

Messages In This Thread
Latest Beer Review - by Michigan Swamp Buck - 04-02-2022, 05:21 AM
RE: Latest Beer Review - by Snarl - 04-02-2022, 02:38 PM
RE: Latest Beer Review - by FlyingClayDisk - 04-02-2022, 02:57 PM