Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The new military gun sight
(03-05-2022, 03:39 AM)727Sky Wrote: Weight !! Anyone who had had to hump a heavy rifle for any distance appreciates just about anything lighter. Good news is there should be some ACOG scopes for sale military surplus in the not to distant future. Red dots work until you get astigmatism then the dot turns into a daisy !! I carried a 14' AR chambered in 5.56 with a Russian 2.5 pound night scope for pig killing... that got heavy before morning but it was a killing machine so back then it was worth it..

Yeah, those Russian scopes were the bomb. I had a Russian PSO-1 off of a Dragunov that I mounted on an AK-74 - Yeah, the mounts are the same. It had a rangefinder reticle calibrated for a 1.8 meter tall man, but you still had to use Kentucky elevation on it, because the round ballistics were different. It was calibrated for Russian 7.62x54R, and I was shooting 5.45x39.

So far, astigmatism hasn't been a problem with the red dot, and I like the lack of magnification, as the sight picture doesn't go all wonky when I leave both eyes open. It just superimposes the reticle on the spot the bullet is going to be in about a second, and keeping both eyes open helps with target acquisition.

Not only should there be a flood of ACOGs, but if they are switching rifles and rounds to 6.8mm, then there ought to be a flood of surplus 5.56 coming to the market, which should drop ammo prices a bit! I've only got about 1000 rounds of M855 green tip, so I could stand a few more, but pricing has not been cooperative with that goal.

Diogenes was eating bread and lentils for supper. He was seen by the philosopher Aristippus, who lived comfortably by flattering the king.

Said Aristippus, ‘If you would learn to be subservient to the king you would not have to live on lentils.’ Said Diogenes, ‘Learn to live on lentils and you will not have to be subservient to the king.’

Messages In This Thread
The new military gun sight - by 727Sky - 03-04-2022, 12:00 PM
RE: The new military gun sight - by Ninurta - 03-05-2022, 01:06 AM
RE: The new military gun sight - by 727Sky - 03-05-2022, 03:39 AM
RE: The new military gun sight - by Ninurta - 03-05-2022, 04:44 AM
RE: The new military gun sight - by 727Sky - 03-06-2022, 08:49 AM
RE: The new military gun sight - by Ninurta - 03-06-2022, 10:24 AM
RE: The new military gun sight - by ABNARTY - 03-10-2022, 10:49 PM