Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Ancient British Isles
My own British DNA history links directly back to Cheddar Man, So I have an interest in the history of the Isles, and the various migrations that went in to making that history.

This video proposes a different history of the Irish and Welsh, making them Celts by culture but Bell beaker by DNA. Strangely, it reminds me of the Irish Book of Invasions, where the Tuatha de Dannan were vanquished by Milesian invaders (Iberian Celts, "Gaels"), but were driven "underground" to become the faery folk of legend, living on to this day.

Maybe they do.

ETA: VSO word order - Verb, Subject, Object. "Killed Amergin Lludh"--> "Amergin killed Lludh" by modern Englisjh reckoning.

Also ETA: My own genes link to Cheddar Man, a neolithic Englishman, but also to later invasions that replace that population - a few Bell Beaker folk from England and Scotland, Saxons in England, Vikings in England and Scotland. Now these are genetics, direct ancestral links, but "Celtic, Viking, Saxon", etc seem to me to be more cultural than genetic. I can track my ancestry to Wales, Ireland, Scotland, and England - northern and southern. not so much the Middle lands - but culturally? well that was pretty transient,

Diogenes was eating bread and lentils for supper. He was seen by the philosopher Aristippus, who lived comfortably by flattering the king.

Said Aristippus, ‘If you would learn to be subservient to the king you would not have to live on lentils.’ Said Diogenes, ‘Learn to live on lentils and you will not have to be subservient to the king.’

Messages In This Thread
Ancient British Isles - by Ninurta - 01-20-2022, 05:28 AM
RE: Ancient British Isles - by ABNARTY - 01-21-2022, 01:13 AM
RE: Ancient British Isles - by Ninurta - 01-21-2022, 06:49 AM
RE: Ancient British Isles - by ABNARTY - 01-21-2022, 04:16 PM