Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
ITF: 11 Crewmembers Abandoned on Sinking Bulker Off Somalia
@"Guohua" - Yup, it's Somalia. Somali pirates are not noted for their overabundance of brains, just violence. I had a friend who was thinking of starting up a security company to provide maritime security to ships running that area, looking for advice against pirates. I told him I figured 4 or 5 guards per ship with two 50 cals among the group and an assault rifle or SMG per man, maybe a few AT rockets, ought to do the trick against Somali pirates. The key is to dump them and their boats to the bottom of the sea before they get close enough to board, and all that requires is at least one man on watch for them 24/7, and enough firepower to punch their boat full of holes at a distance greater than their weapons range. Most Somali pirates just use AKs and RPG-7's. a .50 cal will outrun them. If you can dump them to the bottom or turn them around beyond 500 yards, their AKs and RPGs are useless.

Somalia has a strip of relative civilization on the north coast, around Berbera, but the rest of the nation is just a failed state owned and operated by Muslim warlords, kinda like Afghanistan will be by this time next year.

Diogenes was eating bread and lentils for supper. He was seen by the philosopher Aristippus, who lived comfortably by flattering the king.

Said Aristippus, ‘If you would learn to be subservient to the king you would not have to live on lentils.’ Said Diogenes, ‘Learn to live on lentils and you will not have to be subservient to the king.’

Messages In This Thread
RE: ITF: 11 Crewmembers Abandoned on Sinking Bulker Off Somalia - by Ninurta - 12-11-2021, 07:10 PM