Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Collaborative Writing please join in the story
So many questions were racing through my mind. Did someone set fire to everything here? Was it an attack directed at me because of who I am, what I know? The lawnmower wires caused me to think something else could have been responsible. Perhaps two different kinds of attacks then. There had been no lights on the horizon for awhile now. I rubbed my head where there was still a tender spot and thought, could this be what sent me into the swamp? Was I attacked here as I was gathering supplies? I needed time to think but I was afraid time was running out.

I saw lightning in the distance and decided I’d better get out of the weather and the shed looked about as good as it would get. I had an old cot and a few camping supplies stored in there. I grabbed the cot and moved it away from the wall. Behind it was the tote that stored my camp stove and lanterns. I had fuel for those against the wall. I opened the tote and found coffee. I had forgotten I left that in there last time I went camping. There were also three cans of Vienna sausages and a box of saltine crackers.

I put fuel in my camp stove grabbed the coffee pot out of the tote and started coffee as I got my room for the night ready. Just before the rain started I heard scratching at the door. Cally. I let her in and she began her ritual of going in circles before she plopped down on an old towel. I sat on the cot with a map studying the coordinates. As I popped the lid off a can of the sausages Cally’s head swiveled toward me. I tossed her one and said “You know, this partnership feels like a one way street”

As I was looking at the map I thought of the note. The name John seemed so familiar. Why couldn’t I remember? Odd that it was written on that clipping and the numbers, did I write them or did he? The writing does look different. Thinking was making my head hurt. I went over to pour another cup of coffee and saw a picture of me and someone who seemed to be a government official on a shelf propped up on the wall. Then it hit me. John is my brother.

I spent a troubled night tossing and turning on my cot with the rain pouring down noisily on the metal roof of the shed. I figured that I’d look around for more clues tomorrow. I woke up early in a panic because I couldn’t move my legs. I was shocked when I figured out why. Apparently Cally had gotten tired of the floor and decided I’d make a better bed. I scooted out from under her and made some more coffee.

As I made my way around my burned out ranch I didn’t see much of anything I’d call helpful. Then I saw the syringe laying on the ground by where my garage once stood. I was pissed. Someone had come here and did this to me, to my home. I was going to figure this out and someone was going to pay. I had an idea of where to go next but it was going to be a long walk. I heard Cally yip, looked toward her and saw Dennis, my mule. Cally was smart and stayed away from his hooves. I knew she’d be ok though because Dennis had never gone after a dog and since she’d been around me I figured she smelled more like a dog than a coyote.

Now I had a decision, ride out on Dennis or walk the entire way to John’s cabin.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Collaborative Writing please join in the story - by VioletDove - 11-25-2021, 04:43 AM