Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Remember the girl who was raped in the school bathroom
Pointessa Wrote:I in no way want to be rude, I could care less about your sexuality. I don't really care about anyone's gender identity. What I am more concerned with is people that want to perpetuate ANY sort of victimology narrative for a group of people. It is truly a disservice.

Not to be rude either but I think perhaps your privilege is showing? Either that or you lack a degree of insight into minority perspectives or truly believe discrimination and or oppression for some groups really isn’t a thing?

pointessa Wrote:… As a young, attractive woman I had multiple stories I could use to create my status as a victim. As an addict, no longer practicing, I could claim victimhood and make it my familiar life narrative. I have been raped, I was a victim when the incident happened then it was over and life goes on but I am not making a lifestyle of it. A story I keep telling myself, looking for confirmations of this in my reality. Looking for atta boys because something happened to me that I didn't want to happen.

Congratulations! Here’s your atta boy for rising above.

Snark aside, I hear what you’re saying but some people aren’t as strong and resilient as others and some people that are traumatized in some way never really get over it and their victimization does become part of their narrative. In either case our experiences become part of our story or you wouldn’t have shared yours but how they’re responded to varies from person to person and some aren’t fortunate enough to be able to move on especially if the situations victimizing them in the first place are ongoing. Rather than vilify them for their weakness or help to lift them up, at least try to walk a mile in their shoes, show a little empathy and recognize one’s own privilege.

Pointessa\ Wrote:I believe that I should treat others as I would want to be treated. If as a culture we find that not to be a case, we work to correct.

How? I think one of those ways is by pointing out inequalities and injustice through educating and advocating for those that aren’t being treated how they would want others to treat them which explains why I’m even participating in this thread. In an obviously right-leaning, conservative venue such as this that borders on being an echo chamber of like-minded individuals most of the time, if I can add a different perspective into the conversation to maybe make people expand their thinking or better understand issues that most people have no personal experience with other than Fox News or cesspits like ATS and the like, then I feel I’m doing my part to do something positive to help even if it falls on deaf ears and makes me unpopular.

Pointessa Wrote:We live in a culture that rewards victims...think about that. I have read accounts of young women pursuing gender change because they saw the support and approval others got, not because they had spent a lifetime feeling they were another gender. What does that say about our culture?

Here’s what that says about our culture – it’s as misogynistic, sexist and broken as it’s ever been, modern feminism is cancer based on victimization and the pressures on young women today to be Instagram beautiful or TicTok famous are tremendous and extraordinarily damaging. As a “young, attractive woman” you should know well what it feels like to have your body sexualized by the male gaze and how creepy and traumatizing that can be especially if sexually assaulted so is it any wonder some young girls want to escape or disassociate from that entirely by becoming boys? It is unfortunate and sad evidence of what little progress humanity has made.

Girls are also more likely to have eating disorders, depression, anxiety and self-harm too and all I can say is I feel damn lucky the child I raised grew up before the internet because if I was a parent of a young girl today, I’d be terrified. It is unfortunate that being trans or non-binary has replaced emo, goth, punk, grunge etc. as the cool thing to be but I know as fact that beyond cultural and social influences and pressures, there are a rare minority of children that truly are gender dysphoric and suffering and I feel great compassion for their plight.

Pointessa Wrote:I have a tendency towards righteous indignation, but it really is not helpful.. I don't get to control the behavior of others, I am not better, worse or anything else. The best that I can do is to defend another if they need it in a given situation, to listen to them. Perpetuation and promotion of victim hood is the biggest disservice you can do any group.

So who exactly is playing the victim card here? Straight white Christian middle-class schoolgirls that might have to pee in a private stall next to a trans girl doing the same or a disenfranchised and misunderstood minority with a legitimately diagnosable medical condition whose treatment by society needs to be handled better?

You talk about trying to stand up and to defend when a situation calls for it. That's all I'm doing.
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Remember the girl who was raped in the school bathroom - by Freija - 10-29-2021, 04:59 AM