Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Biden's E.O.s
(02-18-2021, 10:56 AM)Freija Wrote:
’Ninurta’ Wrote:Not everything is a cis-trans argument.

Nor was I making one. I was speaking in general about all forms of discrimination and human rights inequalities and referencing privilege that I think I’ve adequately explained above.

Understood. I think we have different optics here because I don't frame thought in terms of "human rights". I'm not really a big believer in them. To me, the entire concept of "human rights" is perhaps the biggest waste of paper that humanity has ever devised. Discrimination happens. Always has, always will - and it's not limited to sexual orientation or race, or any other "ism" of the day. Personally, whenever I get discriminated against, I prefer to just leave their office quietly, slash all 4 of their tires, and just get on with living, considering it too have been evened out. But that's just me.

Quote:
’Ninurta’ Wrote:So you think using LBGTQ rights as a pretext for raping other nations of their resources is a GOOD thing?

I honestly don’t know what you’re on about? Do you have any examples or citations? You’re a great guy that’s been nice to me and a friend but sometimes I think your imagination runs a bit wild.

Sure. I was referring to the same part of the post that I thought you were referring to, but I may have been wrong. it's always a bad idea to make assumptions, but sometimes I just can't resist. that part I was referring to was this one:

Quote:ABNARTY

Extend protection to LBGTQ people around the world. I guess instead of injecting freedom, the US military will now be injecting protection. Have a resource in your country K Street is all ga-ga for? BAM! LBGTQ discrimination going on, send in the Marines. Think I am joking? "Swift and meaningful" is the language used. 

It's a given that the US frequently invades other countries under the guise of "helping" them when the reality is that we are there to take some natural resource or another. Now we have a whole new "ism" to use as a pretext for invasion, apparently with the blessings of BidenHarris and the shiny new EO.

In my doddering old age, I've increasingly take the tack that maybe we should just leave other countries alone, and let them run their house as they see fit. After all, it's THEIR house to run, not ours. I think "Team America: World Police" should remain a cheesy movie, and not become a way of life. As long as they ain't bothering us here, I see no need to run over and kick their barstool out from under them.

Maybe I'm just getting weak in my golden years. No, no maybe about it - that's a given, too.

Quote:As I’ve tried to show here, I am open for intellectual discussion and dialog but when its blatantly partisan, as 90% of the board appears from my point of view, things aren’t always as productive as I would like them to be and I’m not always the best at expressing myself so I usually just keep my mouth shut. Believe me though if I wanted to, I could complain bigly about the previous administrations policies and EOs that have directly affected my life or my “tribe” in negative ways or commented about the spate of Republican sponsored legislation currently aimed squarely at making the lives of people like me more difficult but I haven’t said a word as ignorant and as egregious as it all may be. I am not an activist or SJW but while maybe not with a target on my back personally, I do try to think of others and try to bring that perspective to the discourse. Because of my privilege, that's what feels right for me to do.

Oh, I commiserate! I see lots of partisan posts too. It's just that I never developed the maturity necessary to keep my yap shut. I see over-the-top bullshit posts from both ends of the political spectrum every day, and all of them make me cringe. Some folks go so far off the rails that I have to wonder what their starting point even was to get them so far "out there". I take my only solace in knowing that those folks are not truly dangerous, they're just mouthy. When they get as far off the rails as some I see, I know for sure they can not hit their target, since they have entirely lost sight of the target... whatever it was to begin with. I have no way of figuring that out from some of the crazy things they post. That goes for both Right and Left. They get so far out in the weeds that they become utterly lost, and of no practical use - or danger - to anyone. They are just yelling loud, hoping someone will find them and get them out of the weeds.

I'm with ya on the "Federal EO vs. state prison systems" thing... I think. The Feds only have control over their own prison system, anyhow. They have no say in how the states choose to run theirs. It's not a big deal to me that Biden's EO would only affect the federal System. It WOULD be a big deal to me if he thought he could affect the state prison systems via a Federal level Executive Order too, however.

Diogenes was eating bread and lentils for supper. He was seen by the philosopher Aristippus, who lived comfortably by flattering the king.

Said Aristippus, ‘If you would learn to be subservient to the king you would not have to live on lentils.’ Said Diogenes, ‘Learn to live on lentils and you will not have to be subservient to the king.’

Messages In This Thread
Biden's E.O.s - by 727Sky - 02-16-2021, 08:26 AM
RE: Biden's E.O.s - by Freija - 02-16-2021, 09:23 AM
RE: Biden's E.O.s - by Wallfire - 02-16-2021, 11:50 AM
RE: Biden's E.O.s - by Ninurta - 02-16-2021, 09:04 PM
RE: Biden's E.O.s - by Freija - 02-16-2021, 09:27 PM
RE: Biden's E.O.s - by Ninurta - 02-16-2021, 10:36 PM
RE: Biden's E.O.s - by Mystic Wanderer - 02-16-2021, 11:00 PM
RE: Biden's E.O.s - by ABNARTY - 02-17-2021, 04:12 AM
RE: Biden's E.O.s - by Freija - 02-17-2021, 06:14 AM
RE: Biden's E.O.s - by ABNARTY - 02-17-2021, 03:31 PM
RE: Biden's E.O.s - by Ninurta - 02-17-2021, 08:20 PM