Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
What might it all mean?
(10-16-2020, 03:35 AM)Antisthenes Wrote: Then the game is up, my friend. I fear it is anyways. You fight for your righteous world and I will fight for mine. (-;

As usual, you're probably right, and the game probably is up. That doesn't obviate us of the necessity to go down kicking and screaming, though, so the second thought there sounds like a winner, too. Kicking against the goad is a human quality found in nearly all Americans - it's how we wound up in this nation to begin with. Someone, somewhere, came here to get away from that noisome goad, and now it's in our blood, in the national DNA.

Also in common with immigrants everywhere in all ages, we likely brought too much baggage with us from the Old Country in an effort to retain some of "the comforts of home", and thereby created a new home not all that dissimilar from the one we were escaping to begin with. It's a vicious cycle.

Harking back to a previous post you made, I too have been a lifelong Republican, from at least a few previous generations of Republicans. Before that, most of my forbears were Democrats, but they made a sea change some time after Reconstruction when the parties started shifting sides, and the previously conservative Democratic Party radicalized, while the previously radical Republican party calmed it's young ass down and became more conservative. So, in reality, I suppose I come from a long line of Conservatives, possibly "Libertarians" in modern parlance, independent of whichever party identified as Conservative at the time. So conservative that my grand dad was called "Whig" by all who knew him. Not "A whig", just "Whig", as if it were a proper name.

I disassociated myself from the Republicans during the Bush years, when it became apparent that RINO "Neocons" had taken over the party and started steering it away from the conservative liberty it had previously represented. That was during the Bush years - not W, but his dear old pa GHW. I didn't leave the party so much as it left me, shifting too far to the Left, radicalizing once again as it had been when it was born before the Civil War, and as it came of age in that blood bath, and as it had matured abusing it's iron fist during Reconstruction, before it calmed it's ass down and swapped polarities with the Democrat party.

The election of the Bad Orange Man is what brought me back towards it. He represented the party as it as when I first knew it, supportive of liberty and railing against the Totalitarian status quo that the Republican party was fast developing under the steerage of the Neocons. Republicans were shifting left, Democrats shifting even Lefter, and he brought something of a halt to that shift among Republicans.

I could never vote for a Romney or a McCain - they are - or were in the case of mcCain - fine representations of the very Neocons who hijacked what used to be my party. I'd vote for a rattlesnake first - at least it's honest about what it is.

So, while we may have somewhat similar political histories with the Republican party and our affiliation with it, we're not the same, and different enough to keep life interesting in these discussions! I'm more of a Libertarian or a "Whig", while you appear to be more of a "Radical Republican" of Lincoln's era... yet the "R" still stands there staring at us in both cases, all the same.

Diogenes was eating bread and lentils for supper. He was seen by the philosopher Aristippus, who lived comfortably by flattering the king.

Said Aristippus, ‘If you would learn to be subservient to the king you would not have to live on lentils.’ Said Diogenes, ‘Learn to live on lentils and you will not have to be subservient to the king.’

Messages In This Thread
What might it all mean? - by Antisthenes - 10-14-2020, 10:03 PM
RE: What might it all mean? - by Finspiracy - 10-15-2020, 04:15 AM
RE: What might it all mean? - by Wallfire - 10-15-2020, 08:38 AM
RE: What might it all mean? - by Ninurta - 10-15-2020, 10:18 AM
RE: What might it all mean? - by Antisthenes - 10-15-2020, 07:15 PM
RE: What might it all mean? - by Finspiracy - 10-16-2020, 02:03 AM
RE: What might it all mean? - by Antisthenes - 10-16-2020, 02:10 AM
RE: What might it all mean? - by Ninurta - 10-16-2020, 03:20 AM
RE: What might it all mean? - by Antisthenes - 10-16-2020, 03:35 AM
RE: What might it all mean? - by Finspiracy - 10-16-2020, 05:01 AM
RE: What might it all mean? - by Ninurta - 10-16-2020, 05:41 PM