Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
At Grandma's house.
(09-24-2020, 11:13 AM)PLOTUS Wrote: Grandma's house, is where the hands of the clock take a vacation with us and the minutes unhurriedly arrive.
Grandma's house is where a simple pasta and homemade bread seem to have different flavours, delicious...
Grandma's house is where an innocent afternoon, can last for an eternity of games and fantasies.
Grandma's house is where the cupboards hide old clothes and mysterious tools.
Grandma's house is where the closed boxes become chests of secret treasures, ready to be unveiled.
Grandma's house is where toys rarely come ready, they are invented on the spot.
Grandma's house, is where everything is mysteriously possible, magic happens and without worries.
Grandma's house is where we find the remains of our parents' childhood and the beginning of our lives.
Grandma's house, on the inside, is the address of our deepest affection, where everything is allowed.

All true - and now I live in that house, with an attic full of treasures from the "good ol' days" that grandma and grandpa thoughtfully left behind... there are still two feather beds up there!

... and now I AM grandpa!

I can stand on my porch and gaze down the hillside to the bridge across the creek, and the years peel away... I'm 5 years old again, fishing off that same bridge with a jerk-pole grandpa made from a cut sapling and fleshed out with a raid on granny's sewing box for thread to make fishing line and a bent straight pin for a hook, little gobs of rolled bread for bait... and you KNOW I had granny fry those bullhead minnows I caught, now don'tcha?

On the side of the house there is a deck now, where I can stand and look over a weedy patch of ground, and if I squint hard enough, I can still see grandpa's bee gums that used to stand there...

Just across the back fence used to stand an old hog house that I tore down last summer. At the corner of it was a blackberry patch where I saw my first bear when I was 8 or 9 years old...

Everywhere I look here, I'm a kid again. Here's hoping that the country survives long enough that MY grandkids have that same experience when they are old, and I am long gone.

Diogenes was eating bread and lentils for supper. He was seen by the philosopher Aristippus, who lived comfortably by flattering the king.

Said Aristippus, ‘If you would learn to be subservient to the king you would not have to live on lentils.’ Said Diogenes, ‘Learn to live on lentils and you will not have to be subservient to the king.’

Messages In This Thread
At Grandma's house. - by PLOTUS - 09-24-2020, 11:13 AM
RE: At Grandma's house. - by Moonmagic - 09-24-2020, 11:31 AM
RE: At Grandma's house. - by NightskyeB4Dawn - 09-24-2020, 01:56 PM
RE: At Grandma's house. - by Moonmagic - 09-24-2020, 03:04 PM
RE: At Grandma's house. - by NightskyeB4Dawn - 09-24-2020, 03:17 PM
RE: At Grandma's house. - by Moonmagic - 09-24-2020, 03:34 PM
RE: At Grandma's house. - by hounddoghowlie - 09-24-2020, 01:48 PM
RE: At Grandma's house. - by GeauxHomeLittleD - 09-24-2020, 03:10 PM
RE: At Grandma's house. - by PLOTUS - 09-24-2020, 04:24 PM
RE: At Grandma's house. - by Ninurta - 09-24-2020, 04:51 PM