Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
WACO Biplanes, Brand new...!
I remember when your average Joe could afford to buy an airplane. Fuel was cheap enough that you could even fly your pride and joy on the weekends.

It has been a few years since I have come back to the states but one of my friends who owns a big hanger (has six aircraft that rent space from him for 250 to 300 a month depending on size of the aircraft) plus his own aircraft stays in his hanger. Fuel at the airport was just about $5.00 a gallon, so 60 gallons would set you back $300 big ones.

An engine overhaul got to be stupid expensive. I blew a jug on an Continental engine. I ordered a new one for less than $1400 and was back flying within 3 days. That same jug now would cost close to $3000... I hated to see the industry die that slow death but it did for many people .

I always wanted a WW2 P-51 but with the price of fuel (in cruise you could get her back to 40 to 60 gallons an hour) and the outlandish cost of any part if something breaks I hung up that dream unless I could own a few hundred producing oil wells !

I used to fly all over the south doing airshows and I was even sponsored or paid to go to many shows. It got to the point where it was a losing proposition. Maintenance (I did almost all of my own), insurance, and hanger space just got so expensive that I finally said "For sale " and got out of general aviation. My first aircraft I paid $4700 and sold it for $7500 after I cleaned it up.. There were several to follow until my last aircraft was sold for $98,000.  I absolutely loved that bird but it was time to get out IMO.

I am glad I lived when I did and was able to do the things that brought me a great deal of satisfaction and happiness.

Messages In This Thread
WACO Biplanes, Brand new...! - by PLOTUS - 08-27-2020, 05:13 PM
RE: WACO Biplanes, Brand new...! - by ABNARTY - 08-28-2020, 12:54 AM
RE: WACO Biplanes, Brand new...! - by 727Sky - 08-28-2020, 11:00 AM
RE: WACO Biplanes, Brand new...! - by Snarl - 08-28-2020, 11:03 PM
RE: WACO Biplanes, Brand new...! - by 727Sky - 08-29-2020, 06:39 AM
RE: WACO Biplanes, Brand new...! - by Snarl - 08-29-2020, 03:31 PM