Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Life Starts Kicking Your Butt From Birth
Have been spending a lot of time this week in meetings and in classes. It has been a bit of a brain buster, and being one of those people that has the question "why" perpetually on my lips, a paper I just read gave me pause. Not because it was new information, but because it was old information being view in a new light.

It has been accepted for years among the medical community, that early life experiences and exposure to chronic stress, can have lingering effects into adulthood. They have a screening tool used in many area to identify some of those stressors. ACE screening for Adverse Childhood Experiences, is commonly used, because it is believed to improve efficacy and efficiency of health care, better support individual and family health and well-being, and reduce long-term health costs. So the premise is not new, but I will admit I was a bit puzzled and the gears in my mind sped up when I read the paper presented.

The paper read:

Quote:“This ‘two-hit’ hypothesis is extremely interesting when we think about disease progression across the lifespan. When an inflammatory disease, something like COVID-19, hits someone after a life of chronic stress, that second event tips the scales,” said Molly Hyer, Ph.D., a postdoctoral fellow in Neigh’s lab.

Now Neigh's lab has determined that
Quote:The team discovered that the same stressors can affect both sexes, but the impact is different according to biological sex, scientifically defined as the hormonal and chromosomal profile of an organism.
 Which has me questioning if they believe adolescents will be affected by the stressors of COVID later in life, but men will react differently and display a different set of symptoms from women. My bigger question is if they are looking at the effects of the virus, or the actions that we have taken in response to the virus, they are suspecting will affect the population in the future.

Are we creating health, and possibly mental problems that can be avoided? We are having lots of talks about potential damage in the future, but we are not being very proactive about doing much in prevention. We are big at teaching to avoid the stressors that we know can affect a child later in life. If the life stressors of COVID is being included on the list, we are at a point where we can do something about it, beside talk about what to expect in the future.

In my opinion.

For every one person that read this post. About 7.99 billion have not. 

Yet I still post.  tinyinlove
  • minusculebeercheers 

Messages In This Thread
Life Starts Kicking Your Butt From Birth - by NightskyeB4Dawn - 07-31-2020, 05:48 PM