Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
World population in 2100 could be 2 billion below UN projections
The population likely WILL drop, but I don't see world order rearranging itself as they predict. It's just not going to be that rosy. For example, sub-saharan Africa cannot sustain the sort of economic or industrial growth they predict, and especially not Nigeria. They do not have sufficient social structure to sustain what is predicted. What is more likely to happen are lots more tribal wars and such, much hotter than they have been at any time since the 1960's. 3 times as many people competing for the same level of resources cannot go well with the tribal mindset in sub-saharan Africa. That's why one tribe runs through the villages of other tribes chopping off hands to begin with. No hands means their enemy tribesmen cannot reach for the limited resources they themselves want to control and use.

China is already trying to get ahead of the curve for a population decrease by attempting to "annex" ("claim what isn't theirs" is a more accurate description) bits and pieces of 21 of their closest friends and neighbor's turf.

India is already ahead of the curve for industrialization, but I have to wonder how that is going to play out with an increased population there, given the problems they already have with pollution from industrialization there.

I personally - and this is just one man's opinion - think that we will be more likely to see more wars and rumors of wars as different societies try to seize resources from their neighboring societies, who are unlikely to be willing to give up their own resources so easily.

Matter of fact, those wars may cause the population increase to be sharply less than the predictions given in that article. When you add a massive death toll to a sharp decrease in population replacement, the net result is nowhere near the population growth most models predict. I hear that arctic lemmings undergo such reversal every 7 years or so when their population exceeds the carrying capacity of their resources.

Humanity has already exceeded the carrying capacity of our planet. I don't see a continued unfettered population increase in the future as some do. The human population has already more than doubled from what it was when I was born, just in my lifetime. This lifeboat rockball we all live on is overdue for capsizing already.
Diogenes was eating bread and lentils for supper. He was seen by the philosopher Aristippus, who lived comfortably by flattering the king.

Said Aristippus, ‘If you would learn to be subservient to the king you would not have to live on lentils.’ Said Diogenes, ‘Learn to live on lentils and you will not have to be subservient to the king.’

Messages In This Thread
RE: World population in 2100 could be 2 billion below UN projections - by Ninurta - 07-16-2020, 06:50 AM