Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
What it’s like to live with polio
(07-01-2020, 03:44 AM)CottonGinWaste Wrote: My understanding is that a person who "recovers" from polio will then live with the remaining involved musculature working at close to 100% capacity.  At some point those muscles fatigue, and then function declines.  The muscles cannot be strengthened - - they were already working at maximum capacity for many years.  Scheduled rests, and adjustment of activities and routines can help prolong function and independence.  Post-polio syndrome is especially brutal for those persons who had pulmonary involvement.

Bless your mother; she is very tough to achieve all she has.

I was a huge believer in innoculations / vaccinations esp after working at a vet clinic during the parvovirus outbreak in the very late '70s, and seeing so many dogs vomit/shit blood until they died (bleach still smells like perfume to me).   HOWEVER during the mid 2000s the info coming out did not always add up; new flu vaccines had to be taken in the spring, etc.  Sadly, I do not trust our profit-based health care system so much anymore.
Yeah, lately the flu vaccine has not been working for many people. In March 2018 I got the flu real bad. I had the vaccine the previous October. I was sicker than a dog for a week, missed a whole week of work. I ran a 101 degree fever for seven days straight. My husband wound up in the hospital for five days with flu and pneumonia. Awful time. The vaccine didn’t do squat for me.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=8180]

Messages In This Thread
What it’s like to live with polio - by ChiefD - 07-01-2020, 01:37 AM
RE: What it’s like to live with polio - by beez - 07-01-2020, 01:43 AM
RE: What it’s like to live with polio - by ChiefD - 07-01-2020, 03:50 AM