Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Report From The Real World
(06-28-2020, 10:41 PM)ChiefD Wrote: I really enjoyed reading your thoughts. I agree that nobody seems to focus on those of us in “flyover country” so to speak. I think in smaller towns and out in the country, it is much more real than in big cities. I have nothing against big cities. I agree with you and others that the media focuses too much on all this unrest in big cities.

I live in a town that has a smidge over 25,000 people. Just the right size. Small town friendliness and yet much nearby. We have a thriving downtown, unlike many small towns. I was eating outside at my favorite watering hole the other day. As a bus came by around the corner, I saw a African American guy shout for the bus to stop for a minute. It turned out the bike rack in front of the bus was sticking out, and could have damaged another vehicle. The gentleman put the rack back as it was. As he came walking back, I gave him a thumbs up, and he smiled at me. No matter what color/whatever someone is in our town, we all are in this together. Acts of kindness go on every day in our town. 

This kind of stuff gives me hope. I like to focus on what we have in common rather than what may divide us.

One of my neighbors is still on furlough. They have given him a target date in September for a possible date for reopening. He is Italian, has spent half his life in the hospitality industry, and is bored out of his mind. He loves to cook, so he is constantly doing something in the kitchen. What does he do with his experiments? He makes his neighbors fat.

He just sent down a very tasty dish made up of a variety of fresh vegetables, pasta, turkey cubes, and salami. Yesterday it was fresh baked bread straight from the oven. I have another neighbor that sends me one to two dozen of eggs every week. Another that sends fresh produce from the garden.

I see every day the goodness of people. None of which will ever be shown on TV. If someone places it on the internet, it will never go viral unless it supports an agenda or fits into a premise they are trying to sale. While out, I saw an older man standing by his car on the side of the road with his hood raised. He wasn't the same race as me, so what? I am an old lady and I know nothing about cars, but I stopped anyway to ask if I could help him. He told me a tow truck was on its way, and he was genuine in his gratitude. As I drove off, I saw three other people offer him help, because that is what a community does. Because that is normal.

I honestly believe that good will always triumph over evil, and that evil never grows weary.

Messages In This Thread
Report From The Real World - by NightskyeB4Dawn - 06-28-2020, 08:35 PM
RE: Report From The Real World - by kdog - 06-28-2020, 08:46 PM
RE: Report From The Real World - by kdog - 06-28-2020, 10:13 PM
RE: Report From The Real World - by ChiefD - 06-28-2020, 10:41 PM
RE: Report From The Real World - by NightskyeB4Dawn - 06-29-2020, 12:28 AM