Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Thus the Republic falls to applause: Death of Kendrick Johnson
Blackcatmagic is the one who reminded me about this

More on the story

Brothers Deny Any Involvement, Wrongdoing In Gym Mat Death Of Kendrick Johnson

Quote:Branden and Brian Bell, the brothers accused of involvement in the January 2013 death of Georgia teenager Kendrick Johnson, are speaking out for the first time since the 17-year-old’s body was found rolled up in a gym mat.
In an investigative report by WSB-TV Atlanta, the brothers, who are also sons of FBI agent Rick Bell, denied any wrongdoing in the teen’s death. Johnson was found dead in a rolled up gym mat at his high school in Valdosta, Georgia. The brothers (ages 18 and 20) were accused of tormenting and assaulting Johnson before his death. Medical examiners said he died by positional asphyxia, but an independent autopsy commissioned by his parents found “unexplained, apparent non-accidental blunt force trauma” to Johnson’s body.

Brian and Branden said they tried to grieve like the rest of their classmates, but were shocked to find out they were being accused of his death. Brian said he was in class at the time, while Branden alleges he was changing to prepare for a wrestling match out-of-town.

Quote:“We have nothing to hide. And the truth always comes out,'” Branden said. “I want everyone to know the truth. And they can ridicule me and they can say whatever they want, but in the end the truth will prevail. Me and my brother have been innocent and will always be innocent. Neither me or my family had anything to do with his (Johnson’s) death.”
At the time of Johnson’s death, students spoke with police, though the Bell brothers did not. Brian, who was on the varsity team with Johnson, had fought with the teenager on the school bus the year before.

The Bell family’s home in Valdosta was raided by U.S. Marshals, who took phones and emails to assist with the investigation into Johnson’s death. Branden addressed speculation about his alleged time with Johnson on the day he died. He was filmed on camera walking near the gym shortly after Johnson, but said he didn’t see him because he was weighing himself for the wrestling match. He also added the suspected blood on his shirt was just a printed logo.

Johnson’s family believes the Bells had something to do with their son’s murder; the young men were named along with county officials in their $100 million wrongful death suit against the state.
Branden and Brian maintain they aren’t racist, but friends told reporters their social media presence allegedly showed racially insensitive tweets.

No charges have been filed in Johnson’s death, however a federal investigation initiated in October 2013 by U.S. Attorney Michael Moore is ongoing.

Interesting someone AT the wrestling event is at the school during time of death

and

Feds Seize Emails, Phones In Kendrick Johnson’s Gym Mat Death Investigation

Quote:The investigation into the mysterious death of a Georgia teen found rolled in a gym mat two years ago received new life when federal marshals seized emails from the sheriff’s office this week, CNN reports.
Kendrick Johnson was found dead in a Valdosta high school gym in January 2013, a death Lowndes County sheriff’s investigators ruled an accident. While reaching for a shoe at the center of a rolled up gym mat, Johnson got stuck and died of “positional asphyxia,” investigators initially said.

But Johnson’s family believed otherwise, commissioning a second autopsy that showed the teen died of “unexplained, apparent nonaccidental blunt force trauma.” On Tuesday and Wednesday, more than two years after the high school basketball player’s death, U.S. Marshals presented a warrant to Lowndes County IT offices to seize emails and phone records related to the teenager’s death.

At this point, the contents of the emails and records are unclear.

Johnson’s parents haven’t given up the fight to determine what happened to their son on that January day two years ago. Earlier this year, the parents filed a $100 million lawsuit that accuses two former schoolmates, who are brothers, and their father, who is a local FBI agent, of wrongful death, CNN reports.

Quote:Ron Hosko of the Law Enforcement Legal Defense Fund, which also represents the family, said computers, thumb drives and cell phones were seized.
“The case is built solely on suspicion, innuendo and rumor, not evidence,” attorney Brice Ladson, who represents the same family, told WCTV, noting that no one has been indicted in the federal grand jury investigation and that there’s no evidence that anyone from the family is involved.
Nine months after Johnson’s death, the Justice Department launched a federal investigation, but very few details about their findings have been released to the public.

We’ll keep you updated with the latest.
SOURCE: CNN | PHOTO CREDIT: Getty
SEE ALSO:

Kendrick Johnson’s Parents File $100 Million Suit In Gym Mat Death
Prosecutor: Sandra Bland’s Autopsy Reveals Death Was Not Homicide
BEATING DEATH GEORGIA IINVESTIGATION KENDRICK JOHNSON RACE

Messages In This Thread
RE: Thus the Republic falls to applause: Death of Kendrick Johnson - by Armonica_Templar - 06-21-2016, 01:28 AM