Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
White House Warns of Global Food Shortages After Ukraine Invasion
(03-22-2022, 03:49 PM)Snarl Wrote:
(03-22-2022, 08:57 AM)Ninurta Wrote: ETA: This is a photo I took of my Dear Old Dad still plowing with pony power in 1974:

[Image: attachment.php?aid=10949]

Two horses for each rider in your household.  Three mules.  Half a dozen hunting dogs.

Short these ... anyone trying to survive SHTF is gonna find themselves hard-pressed.

We kept two horses all the time, but no mules. At one time, we had 17 hounds. Dear Old Dad liked his dawgs! We usually kept 2 or 3 pigs, and at one time had 400 game chickens and 8 or 10 ducks. My sisters kept cats, but Dear Old Dad hated cats - he said they had no purpose in life. One day, I saw with my own eyes, Pap pick up a hickory nut sized pebble and sidearm it 30 feet straight into the side of a cat's head because the cat was crouched and about to try to jump one of his chickens.

When I was about 15, I had to shoot my own dog for killing chickens. Sometimes in life, a man has to be able to shoot his own dog... and pap liked his chickens.

One winter, we had 400 chickens going into winter, and 20 left coming out the other side of winter. That year was a hard winter, and we got snowed in for two solid months, couldn't get out to get supplies, so we ate chicken and eggs for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. What we didn't eat froze to death, all but that surviving 20.

I still can't hardly stand to eat chicken to this day.

Diogenes was eating bread and lentils for supper. He was seen by the philosopher Aristippus, who lived comfortably by flattering the king.

Said Aristippus, ‘If you would learn to be subservient to the king you would not have to live on lentils.’ Said Diogenes, ‘Learn to live on lentils and you will not have to be subservient to the king.’

Messages In This Thread
RE: White House Warns of Global Food Shortages After Ukraine Invasion - by Ninurta - 03-22-2022, 07:20 PM