Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Common medicines including cold and flu tablets, heartburn drugs and sleeping pills '
OH,,, How I Believe this to be TRUE!
But then, I'm a Herbalist and Acupuncturist and I practice and tech Traditional Chinese medicine.
I also use Cupping and Gua Sha treatments.

I do believe that the Chemicals used in todays medicines have adverse effects on your entire Body and Most Of all your Brain.

Quote:Common over-the-counter medicines should be avoided by older people as they have been linked to memory loss and problems in thinking, scientists have discovered.
Treatments for colds and flu, hay fever, allergy and heartburn tablets containing anti-cholinergic drugs had the effect for one month after treatment, a study found.
Effects associated with taking the drugs included having slower brain processing times and smaller brains overall.
Well known treatments including the heartburn medicine Zantac, Night Nurse Liquid containing Promethazine and the sleeping tablet Nytol, containing diphenhydramine, are included among drugs that may result in the effects, the research said.
The drugs block the chemical acetylcholine, which is involved in the transmission of electrical impulses between nerve cells.
The treatments are prescribed for a wide range of conditions, including Parkinson’s disease, overactive bladder, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, nausea and vomiting, sleeping problems, high blood pressure, depression and psychosis.
But the authors warn: ‘Use of AC [anti-cholinergic] medication among older adults should likely be discouraged if alternative therapies are available.’
Previous studies have linked the drugs with cognitive impairment, increased risk of dementia and falls.

Quote:However, the new study by Indiana University School of Medicine, is the first to explore their impact on brain metabolism and 
atrophy through brain scans.
Dr Shannon Risacher, the university’s assistant professor of radiology and imaging sciences, said: ‘These findings provide us with a much better understanding of how this class of drugs may act upon the brain in ways that might raise the risk of cognitive impairment and dementia,’
‘Given all the research evidence, physicians might want to consider alternatives to anticholinergic medications if available when working with their older patients.
‘The impact of these drugs have been know about for over a decade, with a 2013 study finding drugs with a strong anticholinergic effect cause cognitive problems when taken continuously for as few as 60 days. Drugs with a weaker effect could cause impairment within 90 days.

Read the rest of this article here: Link
Once A Rogue, Always A Rogue!
[Image: attachment.php?aid=936]
Oh shit, Lasix is on the list 

Jim has been taking that for years -- one/ twice daily

As well as Isosorbide (heart) /one daily
And Metoprolol  (heart) /one daily

Wonder if that applies to the generic form too?
I bet it does

So he is taking 3 pills that is on the list, not good
And yes, he is experiencing thought process difficulties 

I will say this.....
Jim's parents took NO meds what so ever
I take that back, his Dad had sugar, so he only had that one med (Mom=none)
And other than your typical "old age" couple, neither one exhibited dementia/Alzheimer of any form
Just your normal old-age behaviors, nothing out of the norm

Yet Jim, which I am leaning towards a combination of all the meds he takes, has been showing quite a bit of cognitive issues lately
Like slow to process things on a whole...and nothing major mind you, just simple day to day activities 
And not to mention twice last year, he "forgot" how to do 2 of his airbrush samples....easy 'name' samples that he has been doing for years

And these are not over the counter medicines either

The article itself is talking about OTC products, but on the list, it has a host of regular prescription meds
Scary indeed

As for myself, I hardly ever take allergy medicine (or anything for that matter)
If I do, I take Chlor-Trimeton, which is on the list
However, it has been a couple of years since I took any and when I do, it is for only a few days until it clears up

I strongly suggest anyone who takes prescription meds, to double check that list at bottom of page
It is not just OTC medicines on that list, even tho the article makes it out to seem that way

a.k.a. 'snarky412'

Senona, go online and use the Med Name Jim takes and look up the Herbal or TCM ( Traditional Chinese Medicine ) alternative.

Everyone should.
(05-22-2016, 06:32 AM)guohua Wrote: Senona, go online and use the Med Name Jim takes and look up the Herbal or TCM ( Traditional Chinese Medicine ) alternative.

Everyone should.

I'll check it out for sure (for me anyway)
But cannot say if Jim would swap over or not, being as he is used to taking what he has been over the years

I have been more open with him about his 'thought process' issues that I have noticed, and surprisingly, he has been taking the news okay (more or less)
Better than expected, let me put it that way.
Like maybe he knows already that something isn't "right" with his brain/mind 

In fact, he asked me about Ginko/Ginseng the other day and I was like YES!! 

*makes note to get turmeric too*

a.k.a. 'snarky412'

Good Heavens!  Is nothing safe out there anymore? (Stomps floor!)

A person can't rely on anything these days to not kill them if it comes from anything other than natural sources, and by "natural", I mean go pick it in the woods or grow your own! 

Now, where did I put that joint?  
:thinking:
(05-22-2016, 06:35 AM)Mystic Wanderer Wrote: Good Heavens!  Is nothing safe out there anymore? (Stomps floor!)

A person can't rely on anything these days to not kill them if it comes from anything other than natural sources, and by "natural", I mean go pick it in the woods or grow your own! 

Now, where did I put that joint?  
:thinking:

Time for 'smudging', eh???

a.k.a. 'snarky412'

anti-cholinergic medications and supplements effect our comprehension and make us believe what others say without questioning it.  I studied these chemistries pretty well.  Some foods also contain this chemistry.  Foods they tell us are good for us.

The potato has anti-cholinergenic properties but also contains a form of niacin which can bind to the receptor and fire it up.  It is similar in action to nicotine.  Nicotine actually fires up the nicotine/acetylcholine receptors very well.  That is why they are pushing for everyone to quit smoking.  The chemistry they are using won't work to dope us up and make us believe that trump and Hillary are good candidates for president.

The zombie drug is a flower from south America that possesses this property.  Unlike the potato, it does not contain the nicotine like chemistry that balances the lowering of the anticholinergic action. Acetylcholine inhibitors are used to make people believe in what they are told and we have been conditioned to listen to people who have degrees in the subject or are supposedly professionals.  In the case of those in medicine, they are told that certain meds are used to treat certain symptoms.  Now, doctors rarely have the time to investigate the action thoroughly and if you question their diagnosis they do try to give you medicines that make you believe them.  These anticholinergenic medicines and acetylcholine inhibitors are used for this.  They do not call the zombie flower illegal, it's chemistry is actually incorporated into our food supply.  When they tell you something is really good for you, it is usually something that calms you or dopes you.  Once you start looking at this stuff enough, you can find the chemistry fairly easily, it is even in some foods they tell us will lower our blood pressure.

I have no doubt in my mind after studying this stuff for seven years that we are being led to believe a lie.  This chemistry makes us more susceptible to people who con us.  Even cayanne pepper possesses some of this chemistry that makes us believe in things not real.  Things that open our mind and let us see what is really happening are called bad for us and we need to take a medicine if we become aware of what is really going on.

This brainwashing has been going on for many decades.  They are just getting better at convincing us to pay to be doped.  I like coconut oil, it has many great properties, but it also has some doping qualities.  Some of this calming chemistry is necessary, but foods can provide all we need if we want to be calm.  People who want energy and are a little rowdy won't eat the calming chemistry.  Those who are nice like to be nice and they wind up ODing on the calming chemistry because they believe in the crap that is being told to them.  Milk was the biggest push of calming chemistry used to control society that was ever done, now they tote whole wheat bread which still has the opioid peptides in it as good for you.

Even researchers are often unaware that their research parameters are being cherry picked to show what the ones paying for the research desire.  Examining the research parameters is necessary.

This is a very complex subject, I am trying to evaluate how to fix some of the problems that occurs from these things.  The overwhelming amount of this chemistry in our foods make it hard.  I see people I know well all doped up on medicines and they believe they are doing better, that is because they have been doped to believe it.  Just because you believe something does not mean it is real.  The problem is consensus of the time is all messed up, people are believing in deceit and evidence is created to back the deceit.

I am very much for calming people so they can get along, but interfering with our comprehension is not good.  There are mild calming chemistries out there that do not interfere with our health so bad.  I treat my temporal lobe epilepsy with food pretty decent but do experience some physical health side effects which I have to pay attention to.  I now have it so I am not all doped up or have too bad side effects by moderating different chemistries. I use about five calming chemistries to control my TLE.  Sometimes I over do it, but I have only been doing it for eight years, some food chemistries screw up my desired state, the attractant chemistry in highly prepared foods and certain natural foods can raise neurochemistry and alter it's balance which can also cause messed up thinking at times.  My wife likes that umami food, the free and bound glutamates.  It makes her happy.  If I ate as much as her with my reduced ability to break down dopamine, I would be all messed up.  I always used to eat different than her when we were both working, we went to restaurants with real food and I ordered my kind of food and she ordered her kind. 

OOPs, getting a little long and off topic.
Not offtopic Really and a Good amount of information.
Thank You  minusculegoodjob
I can't let this subject go because I am seeing too much of this doping going on in our society.  I see they have steered us away from eating foods that contain chemistry that makes us think better.  If you start thinking poorly, they have you go to the doctor and take meds that make you not be able to comprehend that you can't think.  No use complaining though, I would rather supply answers as to how you can combat this bad chemistry and start thinking more clearly.

Here is one chemistry that we can use.  Put some poultry seasoning on your chicken and it helps you think.  You need to use the one that is high in sage though, they have two different kinds.  I go buy sage at the coops and use it in my soups.  It is actually pretty potent in it's action, it blocks the enzyme that breaks down acetylcholine.  Too much and you could get obsessed, but usually adding some will help because it increases your wisdom and awareness.   

Here is a link that talks about this. https://www.reddit.com/r/Nootropics/comm...g_herbwow/

This works different than coffee and cigarettes.  Tobacco actually increases awareness by exciting receptors and caffeine works by increasing energy and flow through the brain.  Proper mineral levels are needed to make things work well too. Especially a little molybdenum and selenium.  They only help to break down toxins and restore balance in the thyroid and adrenal system.  You still need many other micronutrients

Increased brain energy without ability to focus is not a good thing  If things are getting out of hand maybe try a little cooked cabbage in homemade soups with a little sage added for flavor or potato and leak soup.  I know a lot about calming and focus chemistries in foods.  I know quite a bit about Nootropics and the chemistries they add to foods to make us dumbed down.  I agree we do need to be social and we need some things to make us feel good occasionally, but living in a life of delusion is not good.  People will take advantage of you if you are too naive or unaware, they will feed on your desire to get ahead to take your money away from you.

Read this article and look at natural things that make us smarter.  They said caffeine was bad for us, they convinced many that sage was a toxin but failed to tell us that a little is beneficial for us.  They now attack tobacco, why, because it can make us able to fend off the anti-choline chemistry they put in our entry level meds and in our foods.  Yes, they have some chemistries that are approved to be added to our foods that accomplish doing this.  There are about four ways that they can block our ability to reason, and they try to make us think that you are smart if you can memorize things, they steer us away from being able to reason as a sign of wisdom.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nootropic

This is just the tip of the iceberg, most of the threat is not visable.  A combination of things is needed to combat this chemistry without going nuts.  You need to balance things, that takes two or more people to do, each monitoring each other.  That is because these things effect comprehension, gaining knowledge tends to steer you towards being prowd of what you know and effects your impartial judgement of things.  Also, initially you may feel good and a month down the line or even six months later you may start to have side effects.  Learning to evaluate and keep an eye on what can occur is important.
@"rickymouse" ,
You're Absolutely Correct.
Many ingredients that can be added to Meats and Soups that are found growing in Nature can help you.
Sage is Very Good and Garlic too.
Let's not forget Bay Leaves, remove from soup, don't eat the Bay leaf, it's soft from boiling but hard on your throat.

Other herbs will do really good when cooked, Woody Herbs are best for keeping their Flavor and helping your Digestive Track and give you need Vitamins, Like Oregano, Thyme and Rosemary.
Basil and Chives are Very Good for you but loose their flavor.

One of the Very Best Teas to make for yourself would be a Ginger tea made from fresh Ginger Roots.
Slice the Ginger as Thin as You Can and Boil for 5 to 10 minutes.
Let cool and if you can Inhale the Steam and after it cools enough, Drink.
Yes Ginger can be tough to drink, so my using Brown Sugar ( Not White ) Sweeten Just Enough To Drink.
After running into more issues with Jim not "thinking" right this past week, when I went to renew his daytime meds, I asked the pharmacist about Lasix, metoprolol and Isiborbide about causing cognitive issues.

He said that he had read something about it on Facebook, but was looking for something more substantial to go on.
He was aware of it however.

I tried explaining some of the problems I have seen Jim having lately, and he confirmed what i thought, that the spironolactone is also a fluid pill.
So he did not know why Jim was on both.

That is when I told him "why" Jim was put on that to begin with....it was after his former doctor put him on the controversial sugar drug Avandaryl.
Not suppose to give to patients with heart problems, yet he did anyway.
Jim gained about 60 pounds that year, much of it fluid, and his legs swelled when they never did before.

I told the doctor about that, he blew me off said Jim was drinking too much soda.
He also said there was nothing to worry about regarding the drug, that it was only 1 Senator in D.C. making a stink about it.

Finally,  time goes by, and they recall Avandaryl.
So he puts Jim on the other controversial drug Actos.

We asked him you mean to tell us there is nothing else he can put Jim on, and he said (and I quote) "no, not unless you want to do injections".

Now, fast forward to a couple years ago.

His old doctor retired, forcing us to find another doctor.

The first thing his new doctor did was take him OFF Actos (new doctor was against it) and put him on Janumet, which proved his old former doctor lied to us about there not being any other sugar med Jim could be put on. smh.

Anyhow, Jim lost all that weight and his legs no longer swell.

So our trust in doctors are not all that high.
Not when it comes to putting patients first above drug companies.  :smallundecided:

a.k.a. 'snarky412'

BTW, due to Jim not "being right" any more, I told Mr.Ralph that this will probably be our last year on the road, after 31 years.

And I think we will stop about 4 weeks earlier in the fall than we normally would, being as the last 4 spots are not really that great (expensive rent) and it would put us 150 miles further from our Winter Quarters.

Not sure what we will do, guess I will have to find some kind of sucker job, although I hate the thought of leaving Jim alone for that many hours a day.
Still will give the airbrush website store a try, if Jim is still willing and capable of doing it.

Unsure of anything at the moment....sigh.

a.k.a. 'snarky412'

(07-09-2016, 08:29 PM)senona Wrote: BTW, due to Jim not "being right" any more, I told Mr.Ralph that this will probably be our last year on the road, after 31 years.

And I think we will stop about 4 weeks earlier in the fall than we normally would, being as the last 4 spots are not really that great (expensive rent) and it would put us 150 miles further from our Winter Quarters.

Not sure what we will do, guess I will have to find some kind of sucker job, although I hate the thought of leaving Jim alone for that many hours a day.
Still will give the airbrush website store a try, if Jim is still willing and capable of doing it.

Unsure of anything at the moment....sigh.
I still have you and Jim in My Meditations and My Thoughts and Well Wishes Everyday.
I'll Meditate On Your Future, Concentrating For Only The Very Best For You and Jim.
Posting this older article for reference purpose.

It has Metformin listed, where as the other article did not.
(yes, Jim has been taking that in the Janumet sugar med)

Plus herbs that may cause issues

Memory Loss Can Be Caused By Over-The-Counter Drugs

Quote:Most of the drugs that cause MCI have a property called “anti-cholinergic.” They inhibit activity of the neurotransmitter acetylcholine, which plays a critical role in memory and cognitive function.

Here’s the problem: only a few of these drugs are officially classified as anti-cholinergic. The official anti-cholinergic drugs are mostly used for relieving intestinal cramps or bladder irritability and are labeled “anti-spasmodic.” They’re at the top of the list below.

But there are 17 additional types of drugs used for many other purposes that may also have anti-cholinergic effects. The list includes commonly used drugs like antihistamines, acid blockers and antidepressants. Unfortunately, many doctors and pharmacists are unaware of the anti-cholinergic properties of these medications.

So that makes 4 drugs on the list that Jim is taking.

He does not have "forgetfulness" like cannot remember where he put his keys.
Nothing of that sort.

But rather problems computing how to do something.

Like not being able to spell the name 'STEVEN' on a tshirt after 3 attempts.
His brain just could not "get it"

That is something else other than Alzheimer/dementia and I am leaning towards these damn meds messing with his brain, causing him to have cognitive issues.

Or as this article stated mild cognitive impairment (MCI).

-----------------------------

Correction, make that 5 drugs Jim is taking

Cholesterol-lowering drugs (Statins) are on the list it seems and he had been taking Lipitor for years, until about 2 years ago.
His doctor switched him to a less harsh (???) pill -- Pravastatin (Pravachol)

Quote:2. Cholesterol-lowering drugs (Statins)

Why they are prescribed: Statins are used to treat high cholesterol.

Examples: Atorvastatin (Lipitor), fluvastatin (Lescol), lovastatin (Mevacor), pravastatin (Pravachol), rosuvastatin (Crestor) and simvastatin (Zocor).

How they can cause memory loss: Drugs that lower blood levels of cholesterol may impair memory and other mental processes by depleting brain levels of cholesterol as well. In the brain, these lipids are vital to the formation of connections between nerve cells — the links underlying memory and learning. (The brain, in fact, contains a quarter of the body's cholesterol.)

A study published in the journal Pharmacotherapy in 2009 found that three out of four people using these drugs experienced adverse cognitive effects "probably or definitely related to" the drug. The researchers also found that 90 percent of the patients who stopped statin therapy reported improvements in cognition, sometimes within days. In February 2012, the Food and Drug Administration ordered drug companies to add a new warning label about possible memory problems to the prescribing information for statins.

aarp.org

Oh yeah, I'm gathering information, printing this stuff off and will confront his doctor when we get to see him this fall.

And all of them say, not good for older patients to take.
Yet he is.....sigh

a.k.a. 'snarky412'

@"senona" 
Quote:Oh yeah, I'm gathering information, printing this stuff off and will confront his doctor when we get to see him this fall.

And all of them say, not good for older patients to take.
Yet he is.....sigh

Good For You, That's the Right Thing To Do!
Doctors aren't GODS as many believe themselves to be.
Keep Up The Investigation, you might find as the medications leave his system he improves.