Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The Earth Day Special
I meant to post this yesterday.

Quote:The Earth Day Special (1990)

EA[R]TH [D]AY=[D]EATH [R]AY: https://www.nasa.gov/press-release/nasa-...hdayathome

with the "planet healing" & eco-celebs applauding depopulation of the poor like this malthusian 1970 poster its time to take a look back at the ABC[IA] 20th anniversary earth day special!

If you were born in the 80s this is a must-see just for star power alone, every cameo gets a wow--fresh prince, ice-t, heavy d, queen latifah, kid, play & tone loc rap against pollution, murphy brown reports on doogie howser caring for mother earth bette midler, meryl streep slides into ponytailed bartender kevin costner's dive. hoffman.... streisand.... E.T... even a married with children sketch! fucking bugs bunny is in this, boasting he was "at the first earth day" (know who else was?). can you imagine one of these made in our balkanized media conglomosphere today, itd be awkwafina & benedict cumberbatch introducing john mulaney or some other amateurhour shit--the breadth of this krusty-gets-kanceled parade of a-list unreality feels like the last gasp of a postwar superpower monoculture idealized & mobilized. but for what?
I'll get around to geller /SRI /russell targ another time (bobby fischer too) & btw if anybody knows tom bearden's relation to CIA media liason (meet the parents, charlie wilson's war) & suspected bin laden handler milt bearden lemme know cuz i cant find it, tho in a 1999 nyt editorial milton defends the taliban's refusal to hand over osama saying they have "no more obligation to extradite Osama bin Laden to the United States than, say, the French do in the case of Ira Einhorn" which was bizarre to find in a casual read (its quoted on bearden's wiki!) without specifically looking for ira content.)

::3. MKULTRA psi-doc andrija puharich engineered the murder as revenge for [???]

ira's mentor, who boasted he did "LSD work for the CIA," spent his life on the parapsychological fringes of amerikkkan intelligence. einhorn edited puharich's "beyond telepathy" and frequently visited his ossining, new york "turkey farm" where he trained a group of 20 psychic "star kids"* til it burned down in 1978 (they blamed CIA but cops suspected a "disgruntled psychic subject" - ira?)...
His usual lengthy review continues at link above.

Stars Dan Aykroyd, Candice Bergen, James Brolin. IMDB
"The New World fell not to a sword but to a meme." – Daniel Quinn

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that." ― John Lennon

Rogue News says that the US is a reality show posing as an Empire.

(04-23-2022, 07:46 PM)EndtheMadnessNow Wrote: I meant to post this yesterday...

His usual lengthy review continues at link above.

Stars Dan Aykroyd, Candice Bergen, James Brolin. IMDB

I took a look at the IMDB quotes of the movie you kindly linked and I was astounded by the amount of virtue-signalling
and social-class designation. Below are a couple of lines from the script.

Kelly Bundy: (Christina Applegate) "Miss Rhoades, how long can the Earth survive if we don't start doing this?"
[recycling]
Marcy D'Arcy: (Amanda Bearse) "Who knows? Maybe as little as a hundred years."
Al Bundy: (Ed O'Neill) "So what's the rush? A hundred years? We'll all be dead by then! A hundred years.
I thought this was an emergency."

Kelly Bundy, a hair-head character with promiscuous tendencies and struggles to grasp the everyday reality of growing-up.
Applegate's character is an ideal Hollywood example of what they see as innocence. Free from the taboo of sexual-restraint
and due to her gullibility, willing to ask a question she believes others more academic than herself hold the answer to.

Marcy D'Arcy, a neighbour who works in a bank. Obviously -(supposedly), this character is more informed because of her
employment environment. Hollywood likes to show that those who work in offices are smarter than those who work on
construction sites or sell shoes.
However, D'Arcy's reply to Kelly's question is in the form of a question. She doesn't know and is just adhering to the fear-tactic
used throughout the 'Earth Day Special'.

Al Bundy, a stereotypical male character who's parsimonious view on life shields him from the nuances of the proposed reality
and is there to reflect a narrative many in Hollywood like to present on men who are deemed 'defective ideal husbands'.

Hospital director: (Edward James Olmos 'Gaff' from Blade Runner) [Doc Brown shows images of polution on a computer screen]
"You want me to believe this is the future?"
*Note: 'Pollution has two 'L's'.

Dr. Emmet' Brown: (Christopher Lloyd) "No, this is the present. I've been to the future. It's not that good."

Pure 'Trust The Science' from Hollywood, even then back at the beginning of the nineties. Anyone who works in a hospital or carries
the label 'Doctor' is far-more intelligent than the average person and should always be listened to. I'll guarantee Fauci went to see this
movie!

Walter Samson: (Morgan Freeman) "The forests are the lungs of the planet, and if they stop breathing we stop."

With Mr Freeman's Grand-father's confident drawl, the character's quote will seem as verity and the simple wording indicates the facts
are in and any debate is fruitless.

Odd isn't it? The plastics and the atmosphere-damaging fumes come from industry and yet a movie is made for the public to view
and digest. Wouldn't the money spent on this all-star cast be better used on convincing the global industries to just stop manufacturing
these alleged planet-killing commodities and residue? Only the consumer is barraged with this guilt-laden narrative and the companies
that create the supposed problem are never identified or accused in public.

It's almost like the gripe about pollution -whether with one 'L' or two, is constructed in a business-like form, a constant bombardment of
words to terrify the public of something they're not the primary culprits of and are merely respondents to the advertising that tempts them
to purchase such Earth-damaging wares.

Maybe those who create and use TV commercials to gain money should be partly held accountable for the concerns these well-paid
actors and actresses are saying...? Er, but that could lead to blaming Hollywood and we can't have that now, can we?!
Edith Head Gives Good Wardrobe. 
(04-24-2022, 09:52 AM)BIAD Wrote: It's almost like the gripe about pollution -whether with one 'L' or two, is constructed in a business-like form, a constant bombardment of
words to terrify the public of something they're not the primary culprits of

Humans can't hurt the Earth.  Can barely even leave their mark on Her.
(04-24-2022, 03:23 PM)Snarl Wrote: Humans can't hurt the Earth.  Can barely even leave their mark on Her.

I'd have to argue with that, a couple of images where humans have left their mark.

The the world's largest at 4.3 km (2.7 mi) long, 3 km (1.9 mi) wide and over 900 m (3,000 ft) deep. Chuquicamata, locally known as “Chuqui”, is the biggest open-pit copper mine in the world by excavated volume. The pit is located in the north of Chile. The mine is owned and operated by Codelco, the Chilean state enterprise.
[Image: R-66f983793f41bab09690e0dce9cafa48.jpg]

Located in Siberia, Russia, the Mirny mine is a former open-pit diamond deposit, now inactive. The mine is 1,722 ft deep and has a diameter of 3,900 ft, being the second largest excavated hole in the world. The airspace above the mine had to be closed because helicopters were sucked in by the airflow.

[Image: MIRNY-DIAMOND-MINE-OF-SIBERIA-mod.jpg]

Quote:Here is my list of the Top 15 largest and biggest mines in the world:   They are economically big and physically large, taking a lot of time and power to excavate using special mining equipment. But in their core, there’s what big mining companies are looking for: the precious ore. Join us as we explore the world of the largest man-made canyons yet.

Top 15 largest and biggest mines in the world:

then there's Clear Cut Logging, this is a link for images in just the Amazon. You can do a search for for where ever logging is a big industry and see the same thing.

clear cut logging in the amazon

Then you have to think about all the damns that have been built, Three Gorges, TVA, Hoover, just to name a few.

All that i pointed out are the large ones, didn't even go into other industries or smaller operations which there are thousands world wide.

Now don't miss understand me, it's nothing compared to what nature the earth can do, and  I realize that humans need the resources that these produce. But to say that building or getting  them in such massive scale is not leaving a mark long term is incorrect.

ETA: I left one out that I wanted to show, they say this is estimated to be twice the size of Texas, or three time the size of France. It kills marine life and, birds thst feed off of it, and also gets into the human food supply from the fish and other marine life that eats the plastic.

The GPGP (Great Pacific Garbage Patch)

[Image: Great-Pacific-Garbage-Patch.jpg]

There another one in the Atlantic, I'd call that a big ol mark.
[Image: TWBB.png]

(04-24-2022, 04:09 PM)hounddoghowlie Wrote:
(04-24-2022, 03:23 PM)Snarl Wrote: Humans can't hurt the Earth.  Can barely even leave their mark on Her.

Now don't miss understand me, it's nothing compared to what nature the earth can do, and  I realize that humans need the resources that these produce. But to say that building or getting  them in such massive scale is not leaving a mark long term is incorrect.

(Good post) I wouldn't argue your point.  I firmly believe the Great Sphinx is manmade and has withstood the test of time (even though Nature almost buried it at one point).

If civilization fell ... in a thousand years ... there'd be little to nothing left.  Megaliths (that would likely include your mines) tend to stay.  Probably our nuclear waste will too, unless we find a way to give it back to the Earth's core.  Kind'a wonder about the micro-plastics issue too.
(04-25-2022, 01:25 PM)Snarl Wrote: If civilization fell ... in a thousand years ... there'd be little to nothing left.  Megaliths (that would likely include your mines) tend to stay.  Probably our nuclear waste will too, unless we find a way to give it back to the Earth's core.  Kind'a wonder about the micro-plastics issue too.

True, any thing that wouldn't rot, deteriorate in a few years would be incorporated back into nature somehow. Like the cities that have been swallowed up in south and central america by the jungle, before lidar you could be walking in the middle of one and never know it.

(04-25-2022, 01:35 PM)hounddoghowlie Wrote:
(04-25-2022, 01:25 PM)Snarl Wrote: If civilization fell ... in a thousand years ... there'd be little to nothing left.  Megaliths (that would likely include your mines) tend to stay.  Probably our nuclear waste will too, unless we find a way to give it back to the Earth's core.  Kind'a wonder about the micro-plastics issue too.

True, any thing that wouldn't rot, deteriorate in a few years would be incorporated back into nature somehow. Like the cities that have been swallowed up in south and central america by the jungle, before lidar you could be walking in the middle of one and never know it.

My mind always goes to concrete.  Ours doesn't last anywhere near as long as the stuff the Romans built their aqueducts with.

So, I guess there would be deposits of the stuff thousands of years from now, but would anyone from a follow-on civilization be able to deduce what they once were.
(04-25-2022, 01:58 PM)Snarl Wrote:

My mind always goes to concrete.  Ours doesn't last anywhere near as long as the stuff the Romans built their aqueducts with.

So, I guess there would be deposits of the stuff thousands of years from now, but would anyone from a follow-on civilization be able to deduce what they once were.

I've thought about concrete myself, it's not unusual to be digging in the yard and find some or get a load of fill dirt that had big chunks of it in it.
Another thing I thought about is land fills. The county I live in when we first moved the farm here landfill, you used to have to drive down into the pit that was about 75 foot deep, that was 50 years ago. Now you have to drive around a a trash mountain that I'd say is least 150 200 foot tall.

Some trash depending on how it is compacted takes for ever to deteriorate, and some never does.glass, some metals, plastics, hell on the farm we use to find trash dumps of old bottles and coffee cans and even had some paper you could still read the writing on. We knew that the family that owned the 500 acres use to dump trash in several spots and it was three generations that lived on it.

(04-25-2022, 02:16 PM)hounddoghowlie Wrote:
(04-25-2022, 01:58 PM)Snarl Wrote:

it's not unusual to be digging

Buried stuff does tend to last longer.

We uncovered some really old C-Rats in the field at Fort Hood.  I think they were from back in the '40s ... they had 4 cigarettes in a pack.  Still edible too.  Talk about young and dumb ... LMAO ... I'll never know how I survived my youth.