Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Is anyone else's weather just SUCK recently?
You know, I don't mind changing weather, especially in the spring time, but if there is one thing I just thoroughly hate, it's wind!  I swear, we have had nothing but non-stop, relentless, freaking WIND for the past week just about!  I am completely sick of it!  Just wind, and more wind...and then it gets really windy.

The last two days we've had non-stop gale force winds averaging about 35mph and gusting to 80mph.  You can't do anything outside...period.  I can take snow, frosty ass cold, pouring rain, I don't care, but the wind just absolutely BLOWS!  GAH!

I've got animals we need to move, and I can't do a damn thing because nobody wants to cooperate in this damn wind.  All the animals just get freaked out, about everything, shit's blowing all over the place (tumbleweeds, paper, plastic bags from Gawd knows where, etc.), spooking them.  Nobody can hear anything, not even the dogs. 

And the short and long-term forecasts???  More freaking wind!!  Even more wind than we've already had!  I can't freaking believe it, and it's making me crazy!  We've been under Red Flag warnings for the past three days.  The wind just makes everything 100x more dangerous.

C'mon, wind...cut me some slack, would ya???  Please??  Pretty Please???

Just let me get these damn bulls out of here!  I've got two junior adult bulls I need to move through about (3) pastures, get them into a chute, once for a vet, and once again to get them loaded.  The danger factor is already high when you're handling adult sized bulls, and when you add in the crazy ass winds we've been having the risk factor just goes right off the scales!!

Sorry, I'm ranting, but this really SUCKS!  We've got these animals sold, and I can't freaking move them five feet without putting everyone's lives in danger.

DAMMIT!  Just DAMMIT!

/rant

Sorry, all.
The rainy season started almost three months early here. Occasional rain during the day but mostly at night which is very civilized IMO. Only had to cancel one golf outing because of rain as I do not like playing when it is raining and wet which makes the greens like trying to putt in a bathtub with a 1/4 inch of water standing.

All in all last year and this year has been great as the winter got down to high 40s during the night and the daytime temps were around high 70s to low 80s. Night time sleeping with just a fan on is nice. I dread the summer but you have to take the good with the bad.
We got some cold weather and a little snow coming this weekend.

Where is all this global warming they keep threatening us with ?
The Truth is Out There, Somewhere
(04-07-2022, 07:02 AM)FlyingClayDisk Wrote: I swear, we have had nothing but non-stop, relentless, freaking WIND for the past week just about!  I am completely sick of it!  Just wind, and more wind...and then it gets really windy.

You need wind for the dust bowl.  Dust bowl ... depression.  OMG did I just say that?

smallcrackingup
The weather here seems to be all over the place. Cold one day, extremely hot the next.  The wind has been terrible here too and is supposed to pick back up later today. We did finally get some much needed rain. Not enough to fill my pond back up though but at least it was something. We’ve been pretty dry for months. What storms that would come through would be mostly thunder and wind.

It’s Oklahoma though, so the weather here is just gonna suck at some point on any given day.
Phoenix, Arizona seems to be warming up a month early.
Once A Rogue, Always A Rogue!
[Image: attachment.php?aid=936]
The west coast blows and the east coast sucks;  therefor, wind!

SCIENCE!

tinylaughing
"I be ridin' they be hatin'."
-Abraham Lincoln
Massive wind for over a month here in the two Virginias (eastern KY getting it too). I was clearing my neighbor's roof off of my lawn a couple weeks ago, the weather service said the airport recorded a 50+ mph gust that afternoon but I know for a fact it was stronger than that (I've been through 2 hurricanes in my lifetime). Severe T-storms moved through over the last couple days and nights in the area, luckily we didn't get the worst of it.
Every week there is a major wind storm. The one that got the roofs off a couple nearby houses was the worst of them, but they just keep on coming. So many trees down, out back it's a mess down the hill, just a total windy mess.
(04-07-2022, 10:47 AM)727Sky Wrote: The rainy season started almost three months early here. Occasional rain during the day but mostly at night which is very civilized IMO. Only had to cancel one golf outing because of rain as I do not like playing when it is raining and wet which makes the greens like trying to putt in a bathtub with a 1/4 inch of water standing.

All in all last year and this year has been great as the winter got down to high 40s during the night and the daytime temps were around high 70s to low 80s. Night time sleeping with just a fan on is nice. I dread the summer but you have to take the good with the bad.

Wow, you must be way north!  I thought you were a lot further south.

When I was in Malaysia, I don't think the temp ever dropped below about 82F the entire time I was there (that, and about 12,000% humidity).  I remember one time it got into the mid-80's and everyone was running around wearing parkas!  LOL!

Wasn't real fond of that weather, but I'd gladly take it over the crap we've been having lately!
(04-07-2022, 04:39 PM)fishertail Wrote: Massive wind for over a month here in the two Virginias (eastern KY getting it too). I was clearing my neighbor's roof off of my lawn a couple weeks ago, the weather service said the airport recorded a 50+ mph gust that afternoon but I know for a fact it was stronger than that (I've been through 2 hurricanes in my lifetime). Severe T-storms moved through over the last couple days and nights in the area, luckily we didn't get the worst of it.
Every week there is a major wind storm. The one that got the roofs off a couple nearby houses was the worst of them, but they just keep on coming. So many trees down, out back it's a mess down the hill, just a total windy mess.

I hear ya!  This shit BLOWS!!

Snuck out this morning about 3.5 hours before sunrise and got the cows fed while it was just just blowing about 20mph.

Now, it's picked up to 35mph sustained winds and gusting to 50mph.  This afternoon it's supposed to actually get "windy".  JEEZUS!
(04-07-2022, 11:32 AM)Snarl Wrote:
(04-07-2022, 07:02 AM)FlyingClayDisk Wrote: I swear, we have had nothing but non-stop, relentless, freaking WIND for the past week just about!  I am completely sick of it!  Just wind, and more wind...and then it gets really windy.

You need wind for the dust bowl.  Dust bowl ... depression.  OMG did I just say that?

smallcrackingup

Trust me, I get it!!

If this Moron in Chief ever "worked" at anything in his entire life, it's that!!  Driving the honest, hard-working AMERICAN taxpayer headfirst into the dirt like a PILE DRIVER!
(04-07-2022, 11:24 AM)kdog Wrote: We got some cold weather and a little snow coming this weekend.

Where is all this global warming they keep threatening us with ?

It's supposed to rain and snow, off and on, here through the middle of next week.

With the freaking wind the way it has been the past week or so, if it started snowing right now (or raining even) fifty feet above the roof of the house the moisture wouldn't hit the ground until it got to central Kansas!

This is just ridiculous!
Sick and tired of moving my planters in and out! Shorts and short sleeves one day, sweat pants and jacket the next. Snow showers expected tomorrow and Saturday, highs near 80 all next week- but probably cold again by next weekend per our current pattern. 

Wind has been nutty here in northern Kentucky as well. Have to be on guard for flying branches and such on my daily walk.

Go home Mother Nature- you're drunk! 
"As an American it's your responsibility to have your own strategic duck stockpile. You can't expect the government to do it for you." - the dork I call one of my mom's other kids
[Image: Tiny-Ducks.jpg]
Gawd, and just to think, we always used to joke about the wind growing up in Wyoming!

It has been 10x windier than it ever was in WY!!  I've never seen wind like this, and it just doesn't let up!!

GRRRRRRRR!
(04-07-2022, 05:02 PM)GeauxHomeLittleD Wrote: Sick and tired of moving my planters in and out! Shorts and short sleeves one day, sweat pants and jacket the next. Snow showers expected tomorrow and Saturday, highs near 80 all next week- but probably cold again by next weekend per our current pattern. 

Wind has been nutty here in northern Kentucky as well. Have to be on guard for flying branches and such on my daily walk.

Totally agree!

Our only neighbor, a widowed gal down the road (friends with the wife) just had a new deck built on the front of her house this year.  Had a whole pergola built over it and everything, real nice job.  A few nights ago an 8 foot diameter stock tank came out of nowhere, all the way across a 500 acre fallow wheat field in front of her house, and slammed into her new deck like a locomotive!  Demolished it.  Even broke the damn concrete!!  If it hadn't been for that new deck, that stock tank would have wound up in her living room!!

We can't even figure out where the stock tank even came from.  The nearest place in that direction is several miles away.

When I say "wind", I'm talkin' about some serious, serious, wind!!
(04-07-2022, 07:02 AM)FlyingClayDisk Wrote: You know, I don't mind changing weather, especially in the spring time, but if there is one thing I just thoroughly hate, it's wind!  I swear, we have had nothing but non-stop, relentless, freaking WIND for the past week just about!  I am completely sick of it!  Just wind, and more wind...and then it gets really windy.
It's funny you mention that, strong wind is my least favorite part of weather. It has always been the fact that it messes up my hair, and sometimes it takes your breath away, but the worst was losing shingles off the house constantly. That changed when we put the metal roof on but I still worry about the big maples and pines in our yard. 

The weather has been rainy for the last month with a smattering of snow and a couple of nice days. It sucks.

-- Hal 
Not quite as windy here but not far off….something like 25 sustained with gusts to 45. 

Doesn’t seem that bad just saying it but then again when you hear it or feel it….wow. I have a new 1500 Sierra which is not a small or light truck and it was literally rocking while sitting in traffic.

In north Texas by the way. And yeah Texas weather is a riot, rain and freezing one day and 80 or 90 the next and back down.
"Earth - Mostly Harmless" ~ The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy
We are supposed to get six to eight inches of heavy wet snow in the next twenty four hours....that sucks, winter lasts too long up here in the U.P.  It is not that unusual to get a spring storm like this....but it sucks when you are tired of plowing and shoveling snow.
(04-07-2022, 05:02 PM)GeauxHomeLittleD Wrote: Sick and tired of moving my planters in and out! Shorts and short sleeves one day, sweat pants and jacket the next. Snow showers expected tomorrow and Saturday, highs near 80 all next week- but probably cold again by next weekend per our current pattern. 

Same here, but we are about twice as far above sea level as y'all are. I think you're at around 950' - 1000', and we are at about 2240'. So I just take my plants out for some sun when it gets above 50 degrees F, and plan on bringing them back in around 7 pm. It's just naturally a little cooler up here, and because of the steep mountain ridges on both sides of us, we only get a few hours of sunlight centered on about noon.

Those same ridges break a lot of the wind - it flies over our heads. Gets windy as hell up on the ridge tops, but not so much down here in the hollers. It does get gusty enough to blow my itty bitty greenhouse container apart every now and then, so I started taping it to keep the wind from flattening my cute little weeds.

Grace allowed as how I could plant it all outdoors so it can get the full compliment of sun, but that can't be. She's used to lower elevations, and up here the last frost is towards the end of April, occasionally into the middle of May. Traditionally, kids start going barefoot around here around the first of May, and not before.

This time of year, anything goes. We've had temperatures in the 70's. but a sudden cold snap is starting right about now, and continuing through the weekend, and there is a promise of a wee bit of snow to come with it. We'll see. barometric pressure dropped so suddenly around 8 pm this evening that my ears popped like when you're climbing a steep mountain pretty fast.

So, yeah, there is likely to be some falling weather coming, and something of a cold snap. It's par for the course this time of year here.

Diogenes was eating bread and lentils for supper. He was seen by the philosopher Aristippus, who lived comfortably by flattering the king.

Said Aristippus, ‘If you would learn to be subservient to the king you would not have to live on lentils.’ Said Diogenes, ‘Learn to live on lentils and you will not have to be subservient to the king.’

Best get those tobacco plants inside.  I'd hate to hear about them getting blown into NY, especially after all the work you've put into them.
...  <other irrelevant and friendly discussion now deleted>

Nvm.  Sorry for the bother and interruption.  I will refrain from comment in the future.

Best.