Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
10 lbs Of Hamburger, Ground Beef
We cycle through several recipes of spaghetti , mexican rice, meatloaf, salsbury steak. Some other things, but looking for some new ideas.
The Truth is Out There, Somewhere
(04-07-2022, 05:42 AM)kdog Wrote: We cycle through several recipes of spaghetti , mexican rice, meatloaf, salsbury steak. Some other things, but looking for some new ideas.

Hamburgers!

I know, cleverly original.

Chili, hobo stew, tacos/burritos/enchiladas
(04-07-2022, 05:50 AM)Jinmi Wrote:
(04-07-2022, 05:42 AM)kdog Wrote: We cycle through several recipes of spaghetti , mexican rice, meatloaf, salsbury steak. Some other things, but looking for some new ideas.

Hamburgers!

I know, cleverly original.

Chili, hobo stew, tacos/burritos/enchiladas
A usually saute some onions and maybe some garlic and just what ever works.

vegetable beef soup

11/2 ground beef browned lightly seasoned with salt and pepper

1lb frozen Mixed vegetables, i use the one with every thing in it. potatoes, corn, peas, green beans, celery, tomatoes, onions. Brand name is pic sweet might not have them where your at.

4 cups beef broth
1 beef bullion cube dissolved in one cup boiling water, i do this for the salt. you could use beef broth instead.

start to cook the vegetables first in beef broth and cup of bullion bring to a boil, then turn down to simmer, when you got that going brown the beef add it to the vegetable and cook until tenderness you like, or the time on the bag says. I also like to add just a tad bit of garlic powder,i don't really measure it. If i did i would guess about 1/4 to 1/2 tea spoon

Oh your gonna need a big pot.
[Image: TWBB.png]

Taco Salad!
Ground Beef?  LASAGNE!
minusculebeercheers
[Image: CoolForCatzSig.png]

I know I am going to be tarred and feathered, but I don't like ground beef. I am not crazy about beef period, in any form. 

I am not a vegetarian, but pork and beef are not my favorites, and if I never had them again, I would not miss them in the slightest. Except for bacon. Put I had to give it up anyway, at twenty dollars a pound, it will be a distant pleasant memory.

If I had to eat it, I would combine it with as many vegetables as I had on hand, and throw in some fruit like pineapple.

I know. Just hang me.

For every one person that read this post. About 7.99 billion have not. 

Yet I still post.  tinyinlove
  • minusculebeercheers 

@"NightskyeB4Dawn" I’m kind of same, except I don’t mind ground beef every once in awhile. I just don’t like roast or steak, unless it’s chicken fry because the breading and gravy cover the taste. 

About a month ago my husband showed me a recipe for Cowboy Casserole. We tried it and it was really good. It made a lot for just the two of us though and took about three days to finish it off. I didn’t mind though because it gave me a break from cooking.

Southern Goulash

Ingredients

1 lb ground chuck
1 md onion, chopped
1/3 c red or green bell pepper chopped
2 c elbow macaroni, uncooked
1 can diced fire roasted tomatoes, 15 oz
1 can tomato sauce, 15 oz
4 c water
1 Tbsp sugar
1 Tbsp Italian seasoning
1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp seasoning salt
1 tsp garlic salt
1 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp Cajun seasoning, like Tony Chachere
1/2 c grated Parmesan cheese
dash of tobasco
2 c cheddar cheese, shredded

Directions

1. Brown ground beef along with the chopped onion and the chopped bell pepper. Drain fat, return to pan.

2. Add the diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, and seasonings.

3. Then add macaroni and water.

4. Bring to a boil then turn to low. Stir well to be sure it isn't sticking.

5. Cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the macaroni is tender and most of the water is absorbed. If it seems too dry add a little more water. If it's too liquid, just leave the top off for a little while and turn the heat up a little. The extra water will evaporate. It's usually not too moist, but sometimes you do have to add a little water. Don't overcook the pasta.

6. Add the Parmesan and the cheddar cheeses, stir. You can just cover and let it melt on the stove.

7. Serve.

(I'll add more recipes as I'm able. @"Ninurta" won't eat chicken so I have a few ground beef recipes in my repertoire)
Sloppy Joe Pie

Make Sloppy Joe's using 2 lbs. hamburger, however you usually do it. (I use canned 'manwich bold' and count this as an easy dinner night - but some people prefer doing homemade). 

While you're cooking the ground beef etc. get out an oven safe deep dish pie dish, and grease it (I use spray canola oil). Preheat oven to 350 degrees. 

Using canned biscuits (again I use every shortcut possible and count this as an easy weeknight meal, but you're free to make homemade biscuit dough) flatten each biscuit out fairly thin, dip in milk or cream and dredge in cornmeal (I also flatten the biscuits in some cornmeal). After each biscuit, begin lining the pie dish with them, sealing them to each other with each addition - this is your crust. 

Add 1-1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese to the Sloppy Joe meat/sauce mixture and pour into the now complete crust. 

Place in oven and cook for about 20 or 25 minutes or when the biscuits are cooked, placing additional cheese (1/2 cup) on top the last half of cooking. 

Cut into wedges and serve! 

Optional is to add corn to the Sloppy Joe meat mixture.

Ingredients:
2 lbs ground beef
2 cans Manwich Bold Sloppy Joe sauce (16 ounce)
1 can biscuits (10 biscuits)
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
Cornmeal for dredging (doesn't take much, maybe 1 cup)
1/4 - 1/2 cup milk or cream
Canola Oil Spray (for greasing pie dish)
(04-07-2022, 11:09 PM)Grace Wrote: Sloppy Joe Pie

Make Sloppy Joe's using 2 lbs. hamburger, however you usually do it. (I use canned 'manwich bold' and count this as an easy dinner night - but some people prefer doing homemade). 

While you're cooking the ground beef etc. get out an oven safe deep dish pie dish, and grease it (I use spray canola oil). Preheat oven to 350 degrees. 

Using canned biscuits (again I use every shortcut possible and count this as an easy weeknight meal, but you're free to make homemade biscuit dough) flatten each biscuit out fairly thin, dip in milk or cream and dredge in cornmeal. After each biscuit, begin lining the pie dish with them, sealing them to each other with each addition - this is your crust. 

Add 1-1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese to the Sloppy Joe meat/sauce mixture and pour into the now complete crust. 

Place in oven and cook for about 20 or 25 minutes or when the biscuits are cooked, placing additional cheese (1/2 cup) on top the last half of cooking. 

Cut into wedges and serve! 

Optional is to add corn to the Sloppy Joe meat mixture.
That sounds good ! Yes we use manwich a few times a month . Might have to try that. 

I saw a recipe the other day that involved doritoes , a pie crust , taco meat and cheese. 

I love beef stroganoff , but lately we have been unable to find egg noodles anywhere. 

And as far as the goulash goes, I love it. My grandmother would make it in Iowa, just a tamer version of the southern.

Question. Do you have hot meatball sub's in your repertoire? How about swedish meatball's (served over pasta)? 

Would you like recipes for these items? 

Swedish meatball's are made with a mixture of ground beef and ground pork, but it's awesomely yummy if you don't make it already.
(04-07-2022, 11:29 PM)kdog Wrote: That sounds good ! Yes we use manwich a few times a month . Might have to try that. 

I saw a recipe the other day that involved doritoes , a pie crust , taco meat and cheese. 

I love beef stroganoff , but lately we have been unable to find egg noodles anywhere. 

And as far as the goulash goes, I love it. My grandmother would make it in Iowa, just a tamer version of the southern.

If you can't find egg noodles you can always make them if you have time. 

Ingredients:

1 cup all-purpose flour, plus more for rolling out the noodles
1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon oil (I use olive oil, but vegetable oil works) (as a beside, I don't measure the oil, just add a small splash)

Combine the flour and salt on a clean work surface (countertop or table). Make a well in the center, almost like a "bowl" of flour, to hold the eggs. Crack the eggs into it.

Use a fork to beat the eggs and then gradually start incorporating the flour into the eggs. As you beat them, they will slowly but surely take up some flour from the edges.

Keep stirring and pulling in more flour until a solid dough forms. The dough will be sticky. Don't worry; you'll be working in more flour in a moment. Add too much flour now, and the extra flour needed to roll out the noodles will lead to a dry rather than tender noodle

With well-floured hands, knead the dough, incorporating more flour as necessary to keep it from sticking to either the work surface or your hands, until the dough is smooth and no longer sticky.

Wrap the dough with plastic wrap and chill it for at least 30 minutes and up to overnight.

Divide the chilled dough into 2 pieces and work with one half of the dough at a time.

On a well-floured surface, roll out the dough to the desired thickness (anywhere from 1/4 inch to paper-thin, depending on your preference). Be sure to rotate or otherwise move the dough between each pass of the rolling pin to keep the dough from sticking to the work surface underneath. Sprinkle everything with flour—including the work surface when you lift the dough—as necessary to keep the dough from sticking.

Use a sharp knife or pizza cutting wheel to cut the noodles. You can make them as narrow or wide as you like. Be sure to cut them as evenly as possible to ensure a uniform cooking time. If you fold the dough to cut, make sure it is floured so it does not stick together.

I usually flour the dough to prevent sticking, then roll the dough up like you would for cinnamon rolls. I have found that for me, this allows for the most uniform cutting, ensuring that all your noodles will be the same size.

Lay the noodles on a cooling or drying rack and let them sit until ready to cook. Repeat rolling and cutting with the remaining half of the dough.

Boil the noodles in well-salted water until tender to the bite (2 to 10 minutes for fresh noodles depending on the thickness). Drain and use in any recipe.

To store egg noodles, make sure they are dried completely and place them in an airtight container. Store in the fridge for up to 3 days. Or place dried noodles in a freezer bag or freezer container, and store frozen for up to 8 months.

To dry, hang over hangers until mostly dry, then transfer to a tea towel covered table and lay flat to finish drying the rest of the way.

That southern Goulash recipe is the style @"Ninurta" grew up with... Every area has their own. Mine calls for less spices/herbs and no cheese, but it does have sour cream. The one I used has shell noodles instead of the macaroni noodles.

I love stroganoff too. I make a 'poor man's stroganoff" with reasonable frequency. I like the taste and the ease of it. It's just meat, an onion, dry Lipton onion soup mix, cream of mushroom soup, and milk to thin it served over egg noodles.
(04-07-2022, 10:36 AM)Selbiene_Raveren Wrote:

Taco Salad!

And tacos ... and no bean chili ... with lots of hot sauce varieties

Here's another, I like to make a least once a month,

stuffed peppers,

1lbs ground beef, 70/30 cause fat where's it's at.
1 pound mild Italian Sausage when i can find it, most stores are sold out here it seems even wally world, so then i use either mild country sausage or 2 lbs ground beef.
8 large bell peppers, red green yellow orange doesn't matter
1 large sweet onion
1 1/2 jars Prego Italian Sausage & Garlic tomato sauce
2 cups Rice
11/2lbs mozzarella cheese
salt
pepper
basil to taste
oregano to taste be careful with the basil and oregano, you can get to much
garlic powder, i like garlic powder don't have to mess with cloves

no certain order just how i do it

first thing i do is get peppers and onion ready, cut the tops off the peppers,  save the tops after removing the stems and edges where it was, gonna need them later. pull the seeds and veins out and wash them.

then take two and set aside, blanch the others for 6 to 8 minutes, until half tender, i wouldn't blanch them to long cause they tend to get to a point that they don't seem soft then all of a sudden they are falling apart. so what i do is cook/ blanch no more than 8 minutes and if they still seem kinda hard leave them set in the water until ready to stuff them and drain them then, they will still cook in the hot water as it cools and don't fall apart.

while that's going i start the rice

next take 1 and 1/2 bell peppers and the tops and onions and chop them up with a knife, not real small not real big either really all kinds of different sizes.
then i statute them in butter and lightly salt and pepper until about 1/2 to 2/3rds done, add beef and sausage and brown it. lightly salt and pepper again i lightly salt and pepper the ground beef before, don't add to much.

reason i use salt and pepper on everything i cook, is that's the way my mother and grandma taught me, it ain't right with out salt and pepper but you can use to much so be careful.

by the time that's done the rice and pepper should be ready.

take the the peppers onions beef and sausage mixture add to the rice, then take about 1/2  of the mozzarella and at first one jar of the
sauce add to the rice, if it all still fairly hot the cheese will melt making it a little hard to stir. after that is mixed well, i check to see if there is enough sauce, some times it is sometimes it's not. cause i just eyeball everything i cook i have to adjust from time to time.

oh i forgot to tell ya about the basil oregano and garlic powder, i add that when i put in the sauce, like i said i don't measure so you might have to find your own happy spot.

what i look for is to see if the mixture is coated real well, want it to be reddish looking and able to see bits of peppers and the meat. if not
add a little bit more at a time from the second jar until it there.

preheat oven to 375, while that's heating up, take a large enough casserole pan i use a 3qt pan stuff the peppers, i leave just about 1/4 inch from the top so i can add cheese to the top which you can add now or later so it doesn't get to brown or brunt

put in oven, cook 20 to 30 mins, checking after about 20 mins. what i do is take a tooth pick and if it slides through the pepper without any force it done sometimes depending on oven it takes  a little longer.

from time to time i just make the mixture and and cook it as a casserole and add cheese on the top.

to me it's so good it would make your tongue slap your brains out trying to get to it.

If it were me, shepherd's pie all day.  It's not hard to make, and you'll use a bunch of ground beef.  I hope I don't get tarred and feathered by our UK rogues, I forget which is cottage pie and which is shepherd's pie  tinylaughing
[Image: Green%20Banner.jpg]
(04-08-2022, 02:44 AM)Schmoe1 Wrote: If it were me, shepherd's pie all day.  It's not hard to make, and you'll use a bunch of ground beef.  I hope I don't get tarred and feathered by our UK rogues, I forget which is cottage pie and which is shepherd's pie  tinylaughing

I love shepherd's pie ! But never made it, always at a restaurant or frozen.
(04-08-2022, 03:26 AM)kdog Wrote:
(04-08-2022, 02:44 AM)Schmoe1 Wrote: If it were me, shepherd's pie all day.  It's not hard to make, and you'll use a bunch of ground beef.  I hope I don't get tarred and feathered by our UK rogues, I forget which is cottage pie and which is shepherd's pie  tinylaughing

i got one for that to, even come up with a couple of short cuts, as schmoe said not hard to make just a little time consuming.
want to hear it?

(04-08-2022, 03:47 AM)hounddoghowlie Wrote:
(04-08-2022, 03:26 AM)kdog Wrote:

i got one for that to, even come up with a couple of short cuts, as schmoe said not hard to make just a little time consuming.
want to hear it?
Yes, absolutely .
(04-08-2022, 01:55 AM)hounddoghowlie Wrote:

Here's another, I like to make a least once a month,

stuffed peppers,

1lbs ground beef, 70/30 cause fat where's it's at.
1 pound mild Italian Sausage when i can find it, most stores are sold out here it seems even wally world, so then i use either mild country sausage or 2 lbs ground beef.
8 large bell peppers, red green yellow orange doesn't matter
1 large sweet onion
1 1/2 jars Prego Italian Sausage & Garlic tomato sauce
2 cups Rice
11/2lbs mozzarella cheese
salt
pepper
basil to taste
oregano to taste be careful with the basil and oregano, you can get to much
garlic powder, i like garlic powder don't have to mess with cloves

no certain order just how i do it

first thing i do is get peppers and onion ready, cut the tops off the peppers,  save the tops after removing the stems and edges where it was, gonna need them later. pull the seeds and veins out and wash them.

then take two and set aside, blanch the others for 6 to 8 minutes, until half tender, i wouldn't blanch them to long cause they tend to get to a point that they don't seem soft then all of a sudden they are falling apart. so what i do is cook/ blanch no more than 8 minutes and if they still seem kinda hard leave them set in the water until ready to stuff them and drain them then, they will still cook in the hot water as it cools and don't fall apart.

while that's going i start the rice

next take 1 and 1/2 bell peppers and the tops and onions and chop them up with a knife, not real small not real big either really all kinds of different sizes.
then i statute them in butter and lightly salt and pepper until about 1/2 to 2/3rds done, add beef and sausage and brown it. lightly salt and pepper again i lightly salt and pepper the ground beef before, don't add to much.

reason i use salt and pepper on everything i cook, is that's the way my mother and grandma taught me, it ain't right with out salt and pepper but you can use to much so be careful.

by the time that's done the rice and pepper should be ready.

take the the peppers onions beef and sausage mixture add to the rice, then take about 1/2  of the mozzarella and at first one jar of the
sauce add to the rice, if it all still fairly hot the cheese will melt making it a little hard to stir. after that is mixed well, i check to see if there is enough sauce, some times it is sometimes it's not. cause i just eyeball everything i cook i have to adjust from time to time.

oh i forgot to tell ya about the basil oregano and garlic powder, i add that when i put in the sauce, like i said i don't measure so you might have to find your own happy spot.

what i look for is to see if the mixture is coated real well, want it to be reddish looking and able to see bits of peppers and the meat. if not
add a little bit more at a time from the second jar until it there.

preheat oven to 375, while that's heating up, take a large enough casserole pan i use a 3qt pan stuff the peppers, i leave just about 1/4 inch from the top so i can add cheese to the top which you can add now or later so it doesn't get to brown or brunt

put in oven, cook 20 to 30 mins, checking after about 20 mins. what i do is take a tooth pick and if it slides through the pepper without any force it done sometimes depending on oven it takes  a little longer.

from time to time i just make the mixture and and cook it as a casserole and add cheese on the top.

to me it's so good it would make your tongue slap your brains out trying to get to it.
Sounds good. Not much of a green pepper guy, but would eat the stuffing.