Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Zika Virus which causes birth defects (microcephaly) linked to GMO mosquito releases?
There have been several reports in the media recently regarding the Zika Virus which has been causing many birth defects (mainly microcephaly) in newborn babies in Brazil (and other regions).
The Zika Virus is spread by a Mosquito (Aedes aegypti).
This mosquito is also responsible for spreading other viruses (including Dengue Fever)

A BioTech firm called Oxitec has been developing Genetically Modified (GMO) Mosquitos as an way of combating the spread of virus carrying wild mosquitos. The GMO ones are specifically engineered with the addition of genes from several different species of animals and plants, to interact with the wild mosquitos which then produce offspring which soon die off. Thereby reducing the population over time.

LINK to article on Mercola dotcom

Quote:In the Cayman Islands, for instance, 96 percent of native mosquitoes were suppressed after more than 3 million GM mosquitoes were released in the area, with similar results reported in Brazil.6 But as we’ve seen in the past with genetically modified organisms (GMOs), when you tinker with nature, it often comes back to bite you.

Oxitec have shown interest in trialling their GMO mosquitos in many areas, including Easter Island, Panama, Brazil etc
and their own website indicates that they have conducted "successful trials" in many of these areas.

EXAMPLE of Trial Approval on their own website HERE

Quote:NEWSLETTER July 2014

Oxitec’s mosquito control approved in Brazil

The National Technical Commission for Biosecurity (CTNBio), the collegiate body responsible for approval and regulation of transgenic organisms in Brazil, recently approved the commercial release of the genetically modified (GM) mosquito, OX513A, developed by Oxitec. It is the first GM insect to be considered safe for commercial use in Brazil and the latest of a long series of biotechnology approvals by CTNBio.

Also:
Admission that studies have taken place

Quote:Achieving over 90% suppression of the local Aedes aegypti population is particularly pleasing because the project took place going into the rainy season, when mosquito numbers rise significantly. Furthermore, these results are wholly consistent with those from studies by collaborators in the Cayman Islands and Brazil.”

So, Oxitec had already released their GMO mosquitos in BRAZIL between July 2014 and March 2015.

The spread of Zika 2014 from VOX dotcom

Quote:Until recently, few people had heard of Zika. As of 2013, it had never been recorded in the Western Hemisphere. By 2014, the virus made an appearance in the Americas, arriving in the Easter Islands, and then it showed up in Brazil.

Now it's spreading quickly throughout the Americas, and the World Health Organization warned that it's expected to reach every country in the Americas (except for Canada and Chile, where the mosquitoes that carry the virus don't live).

Next, here's a diagram showing the Massive rise in cases of Zika Virus in Brazil between 2014 and 2015...

[Image: Zika_virus4.png]
...co-incidence?

Well, guess what... Oxitec have been looking at performing these trials in Florida.

AND they have opened research facilities in the UK..

From their own newsletter March 2015

Quote:In parallel with our lead dengue mosquito product strain’s successes in Brazil and Panama field trials, we have built a new research facility near our UK headquarters. With improved insect-rearing laboratories and offices, and greatly increased space, our ability to develop and test new mosquito strains is enhanced. We have also added product development capacity to develop optimised insect mass-production methods and areas for laboratory-testing of strains as part of the rigorous development process.

The microcephaly is horrible to see. It causes brain defects and deformity.
It is definitely linked to Zika Virus infection in Pregnant mums.
WHY was there a HUGE increase in Zika Virus cases apparently AFTER "successful" trials of these GMO mosquitos?

MUCH more research is required, but my initial scratch at the surface has me very worried.

BigG
Quote:... when you tinker with nature, it often comes back to bite you.

Ain't that the truth
Never mess with Mother Nature
One day we will learn that....one day

I do not see how any studies could have been done UNTIL they released them into the outdoors.
Lab tests do not compare to Mother Nature as a whole in a situation like this

So if the tests were proven not to work, or find out more harmful effects to nature due to releasing GM mosquitoes, how in the hell do they expect to terminate them all???

They simply can't

I always go back to that old saying

[Image: 821b8503afd340f7d167edea08eb4d02.jpg]

I hope for everyone's sake, that the Rika virus increase is not connected to GM mosquitoes
If the truth of the matter finds out otherwise, that is IF they would release that damming info to the public, there will be a lot of pissed off people globally, and rightfully so.

I know, I know
More studies need to be done

a.k.a. 'snarky412'