Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Presenting the most awesome race track to you
Arguably I am a bad presenter of the track because it took me a day and I could have told you days before.
We say better late than never :)

[Image: image.png]
Let me introduce the track first and why it is so special. Finished in 1927, it originally was a 28km long mountain race track also built to test new cars. It has undergone some major changes but not much since around 2002. The reason why it is so demanding is, that instead of building a relative flat race track, they simply integrated it into the region. It consists of two parts, the 20.8km long Nordschleife, also world wide known as the famous "Green Hell" and the GP course in the south looking like an appendix (it is).

Here is a short video giving some impressions on the track. 2 minutes

Every reputable car manufacturer from all over the world comes here to test their cars. If it drives and handles good on the Nordschleife, it handles like that everywhere. The track is so huge that it has several different weather zones. You could have snow in the upper parts and dry roads down in sunny places, fog in the middle and rain in some parts, all in one lap. 18% uphill sections and 11% downhill sections.

That's partly the reason why it is called the Green Hell, F1 driver Jackie Stewart coined the term. It demands everything from the driver and the car. It destroys literally. There are no runout zones. If you crash here and get off the track, it's going to be brutal. The most famous crash from Niki Lauda (RIP 2019) in 1976 that lead to major changes around the track and Formula 1 rules happened there. 

You either flow with the track or the track will send you out merciless. It's also a public toll road. Means on special days, called "Touristenfahrten" "Tourist drives", you can take your car, drive there, buy a ticket for a lap and go bonkers. I would not recommend it like that though. Many think the track is flat and from videos it looks like that. But its just waiting for a chance to upset your car and send you off.

Look at them go and crash, not supposed to look like that, but what can you do :D

Okay now, here is one full lap, it is the 2018 record setting lap time 5:19.55 in the Porsche HYBRID 919 EVO. The video is not speed up. The lap starts around 2:52. Granted this is extreme. Even for me who can cite down blindly every corner with details, the speed, on some parts is just unreal to watch.

Fast lap times today are 6-7 minutes. When I was driving there actively I burned a 7:19 in to the tarmac (stopwatch) with the back then ~840HP R33 GTR due to someone still on the track in a foggy area. I didn't slow down but followed the memorized track. I would not do this today like that back then I had absolute no concerns for having an accident. You never know what awaits you there, in my case sudden brake lights in fog in front of me although the track should have been empty for me. 2-3 inch to the side and we both would have crashed as I passed with more than 180kmh difference. Later after a short brawl and the sporadic beer with that one, he told me it sounded like a whistle passing by, his right side mirror bent away from the draft I was pulling behind, the whole car shook. I just saw something I passed in the fog and that was all. Before I could think what I saw, I already had to concentrate.

Today such runs are only possible of you are manufacturer team. They also do not allow clocking times anymore, because of that exact reason, it pushes freaks like me over the edge and led to crashes before. My uncle crashed there once, lost downforce and went into a bump, catapulted the car up, air got under it and it just lifted away over the guard rails into the forest sideways half overturning. I did not see it, I was down the track two sections marshalling flags but I heard the crash and the radio going wild. He got out with no scratches but one rim was ripped off and lodged in some tree branches on head height. Carrera GT V10 was that, we tried to fix it but the chassis was bent, we could not do anything. Someone bought it for spare parts what was left intact.

Enough trivia about how dangerous the track can be, let me introduce the Nürburgring long range endurance races to you. I drove there myself more than ten years ago in a SEAT, FWD. Not everyone makes it to the finish line, 4h endurance race and making it to the finish line with what is going down in any section of the track is a feat too. The idea is to test driver and material, it's very demanding.

And real motor sport, emotions, new talents old guys, EMOTIONS because you can fever with so many teams and it's different, more private and personal than most other race series. People literally camp on the track between the lanes and grill, you come up certain sections in such an event and smell their BBQs, sitting at the track and applauding every driver that passes by. Some like to thank them with drifts and a fist out of the window (what you will see being tried during tourist drives up in the video too).

So this last Weekend, the Endurance Series has begun. 20.03 the first tests drives were done and last weekend 135 race cars started. You will see crashes, people fighting with their cars, emotions, failures and epic wins in battles. 

Enjoy :)
WOW, Thank You  minusculegoodjob
Once A Rogue, Always A Rogue!
[Image: attachment.php?aid=936]
Fascinating and informative post! That track is beyond lengendary! I envy you having a go knowing I would lose my lunch at half your speed!
ALL OUR HEROES ARE WHORES

EXTERMINATE THE BRUTES

ACTION ALWAYS OUTWEIGHS WORDS

PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY IS NECESSARY
(03-28-2022, 07:23 PM)TDDA Wrote: Arguably I am a bad presenter of the track because it took me a day and I could have told you days before.

Let me introduce the track first and why it is so special. Finished in 1927, it originally was a 28km long mountain race track also built to test new cars. It has undergone some major changes but not much since around 2002. The reason why it is so demanding is, that instead of building a relative flat race track, they simply integrated it into the region. It consists of two parts, the 20.8km long Nordschleife, also world wide known as the famous "Green Hell" and the GP course in the south looking like an appendix (it is).

Every reputable car manufacturer from all over the world comes here to test their cars. If it drives and handles good on the Nordschleife, it handles like that everywhere. The track is so huge that it has several different weather zones. You could have snow in the upper parts and dry roads down in sunny places, fog in the middle and rain in some parts, all in one lap. 18% uphill sections and 11% downhill sections.

That's partly the reason why it is called the Green Hell, F1 driver Jackie Stewart coined the term. It demands everything from the driver and the car. It destroys literally. There are no runout zones. If you crash here and get off the track, it's going to be brutal. The most famous crash from Niki Lauda (RIP 2019) in 1976 that lead to major changes around the track and Formula 1 rules happened there. 

You either flow with the track or the track will send you out merciless. It's also a public toll road. Means on special days, called "Touristenfahrten" "Tourist drives", you can take your car, drive there, buy a ticket for a lap and go bonkers. I would not recommend it like that though. Many think the track is flat and from videos it looks like that. But its just waiting for a chance to upset your car and send you off.

Look at them go and crash, not supposed to look like that, but what can you do :D

Okay now, here is one full lap, it is the 2018 record setting lap time 5:19.55 in the Porsche HYBRID 919 EVO. The video is not speed up. The lap starts around 2:52. Granted this is extreme. Even for me who can cite down blindly every corner with details, the speed, on some parts is just unreal to watch.

Fast lap times today are 6-7 minutes. When I was driving there actively I burned a 7:19 in to the tarmac (stopwatch) with the back then ~840HP R33 GTR due to someone still on the track in a foggy area. I didn't slow down but followed the memorized track. I would not do this today like that back then I had absolute no concerns for having an accident. You never know what awaits you there, in my case sudden brake lights in fog in front of me although the track should have been empty for me. 2-3 inch to the side and we both would have crashed as I passed with more than 180kmh difference. Later after a short brawl and the sporadic beer with that one, he told me it sounded like a whistle passing by, his right side mirror bent away from the draft I was pulling behind, the whole car shook. I just saw something I passed in the fog and that was all. Before I could think what I saw, I already had to concentrate.

Today such runs are only possible of you are manufacturer team. They also do not allow clocking times anymore, because of that exact reason, it pushes freaks like me over the edge and led to crashes before. My uncle crashed there once, lost downforce and went into a bump, catapulted the car up, air got under it and it just lifted away over the guard rails into the forest sideways half overturning. I did not see it, I was down the track two sections marshalling flags but I heard the crash and the radio going wild. He got out with no scratches but one rim was ripped off and lodged in some tree branches on head height. Carrera GT V10 was that, we tried to fix it but the chassis was bent, we could not do anything. Someone bought it for spare parts what was left intact.

Enough trivia about how dangerous the track can be, let me introduce the Nürburgring long range endurance races to you. I drove there myself more than ten years ago in a SEAT, FWD. Not everyone makes it to the finish line, 4h endurance race and making it to the finish line with what is going down in any section of the track is a feat too. The idea is to test driver and material, it's very demanding.

And real motor sport, emotions, new talents old guys, EMOTIONS because you can fever with so many teams and it's different, more private and personal than most other race series. People literally camp on the track between the lanes and grill, you come up certain sections in such an event and smell their BBQs, sitting at the track and applauding every driver that passes by. Some like to thank them with drifts and a fist out of the window (what you will see being tried during tourist drives up in the video too).

So this last Weekend, the Endurance Series has begun. 20.03 the first tests drives were done and last weekend 135 race cars started. You will see crashes, people fighting with their cars, emotions, failures and epic wins in battles. 

As Cheech would say, Here we go, 1st gear!! 2nd gear, Here we go!!
[Image: TWBB.png]

Back in the day I had a racing go-cart. It flew like the wind and was fun as heck!
I would have LOVED to give it a spin on that route!

Probably would have gotten run over, but still would have been fun to try!
"As an American it's your responsibility to have your own strategic duck stockpile. You can't expect the government to do it for you." - the dork I call one of my mom's other kids
[Image: Tiny-Ducks.jpg]
(03-29-2022, 12:11 AM)GeauxHomeLittleD Wrote: Back in the day I had a racing go-cart. It flew like the wind and was fun as heck!
I would have LOVED to give it a spin on that route!

Probably would have gotten run over, but still would have been fun to try!

I can't wait to take my daughter to the next electric go-cart track when she is old enough. It's indoor and has 2 levels. The acceleration is brutal and the torque. The best thing is, when it isn't a contest but you go there with a group, when they see you can drive and not mistreat the cart, they unlock all the power on the electro motors, you then run into the speed limiter like a wall. And for people that get sick from fumes, this is perfect. More chances to gather a bigger group and it's more fun.

Better with a real car, you won't have fun with a cart there, it's not as flat as it looks means you will loose traction often, and you would need a powerful cart with lot's of momentum collected for the steep sections. But it would be fun a try lol imagine going down fuchs Röhre in a cart :D :D

(03-28-2022, 10:15 PM)hounddoghowlie Wrote: As Cheech would say, Here we go, 1st gear!!  2nd gear, Here we go!!

<3

(03-28-2022, 09:43 PM)AmericanBuffalo Wrote: Fascinating and informative post! That track is beyond lengendary! I envy you having a go knowing I would lose my lunch at half your speed!

When I am on the track, I/we do not live there and have to travel there, like in the morning and the sun comes up over the track, just sipping on a coffee and imaging all the legends that have driven by that spot, it's very humbling.
(03-28-2022, 07:23 PM)TDDA Wrote: Arguably I am a bad presenter of the track because it took me a day and I could have told you days before.

Very very cool! I SO wanted to do that when I was younger... mediumbluecool