Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 5 Average
A game of chess, pr'aps?
(03-26-2022, 12:10 AM)beez Wrote: I don't have many hobbies or do much but work and yell at my interns when I'm not doting on my beautiful and ever-patient bride of over 3 decades.

But I do enjoy a good game of chess.

I could set up my board, and would challenge any Rogue to a game.

tinyangry

My Dad taught me to play chess when I was a young kid.
Played every now and again over the years but got to say I'm absolutely shite at it.

When I worked permanent night shift I used to play one of my mates all the time - he'd just done eighteen months, he beat me every single time.

Would love to play but think the public humiliation would be too much for me.....I think I'll just watch from the sidelines.
(03-26-2022, 03:04 AM)727Sky Wrote: Thailand is not the same as it was back in 79/80 and Bangkok is a place I try not to go to as traffic has not gotten any better for sure. But, of all the places I have been to... Northern Thailand is my home now and I thank my lucky stars I made the move several years ago. Wife is the best of the best as are my living conditions.... my social needs revolve around golf and tournaments so here I am and plan to stay.

Lucy's Tiger Den still open?

Diogenes was eating bread and lentils for supper. He was seen by the philosopher Aristippus, who lived comfortably by flattering the king.

Said Aristippus, ‘If you would learn to be subservient to the king you would not have to live on lentils.’ Said Diogenes, ‘Learn to live on lentils and you will not have to be subservient to the king.’

(03-26-2022, 03:08 AM)Grace Wrote:
(03-26-2022, 12:10 AM)beez Wrote: I don't have many hobbies or do much but work and yell at my interns when I'm not doting on my beautiful and ever-patient bride of over 3 decades.

tinyangry

It's been several years since I've played, I actually married a man who doesn't play! 

Since you already have a taker or two, I'm happy to follow along - which will give me a chance to brush up!

But I will be watching this thread in rapt attention to see if I can figure out how it's played. You're not the first person that has told me I ought to play chess.

Diogenes was eating bread and lentils for supper. He was seen by the philosopher Aristippus, who lived comfortably by flattering the king.

Said Aristippus, ‘If you would learn to be subservient to the king you would not have to live on lentils.’ Said Diogenes, ‘Learn to live on lentils and you will not have to be subservient to the king.’

(03-26-2022, 01:53 AM)beez Wrote:
(03-26-2022, 01:49 AM)727Sky Wrote:
(03-26-2022, 01:41 AM)beez Wrote:
(03-26-2022, 01:19 AM)727Sky Wrote:
(03-26-2022, 01:15 AM)beez Wrote:
(03-26-2022, 01:13 AM)727Sky Wrote:

tinyangry
I have not played for several years but,,,,,,, BRING IT ON BUBBA GEEZ !! hahahah

Challenge accepted, old man!

tinylaughing
minusculebeercheers

I'll set up my board in a bit, take your time, but since I challenged you, you are White and get the first move.

LET THE GAME BEGIN!

tinysurprised
that was very lascivious err civil of you.. I was hoping it would be an internet board here at Rogue nation... I do not even know if I still have a chess board ??

Oh for the love of GOD!

What proper gentleman doesn't have a chess board?????

tinywhat tinywhat tinywhat tinywhat tinywhat tinywhat tinywhat tinywhat tinywhat
I have to agree that not having a board sucks... My defense is there are no chess players around here in the village and the round eyes I know are always playing golf with me and usually dead tired after a match in the heat.

It would be neat to have a chess challenge board here at Rogue. There could be on going matches almost forever with a score card on who is leading the tournaments, Much easier than making moves by Kings Pawn to ?????

Maybe the boss can arrange a gaming section at Rogue ... I think that is a grand idea
I just did an internet search and there are many free down load chess games... The problem is figuring out how to get the game loaded on Rogue Nation....but we have some smart folks around here who can probably figure it out ... Patience Padawan let us wait and see what can be done.
(03-26-2022, 03:29 AM)727Sky Wrote: I just did an internet search and there are many free down load chess games... The problem is figuring out how to get the game loaded on Rogue Nation....but we have some smart folks around here who can probably figure it out ... Patience Padawan let us wait and see what can be done.

I'll look into it. A key word is "Embed", as in embed to a web page. There may also be some way to store a game on our servers for play here instead of through embed. We'll take a look.

ETA: Well this looks interesting: https://play.chessbase.com/en/howto/embedfritz I'm digging into it.

@Snarl

minusculeguzzlingbeer
"The New World fell not to a sword but to a meme." – Daniel Quinn

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that." ― John Lennon

Rogue News says that the US is a reality show posing as an Empire.

(03-26-2022, 03:34 AM)Ninurta Wrote:
(03-26-2022, 03:29 AM)727Sky Wrote: I just did an internet search and there are many free down load chess games... The problem is figuring out how to get the game loaded on Rogue Nation....but we have some smart folks around here who can probably figure it out ... Patience Padawan let us wait and see what can be done.

I'll look into it. A key word is "Embed", as in embed to a web page. There may also be some way to store a game on our servers for play here instead of through embed. We'll take a look.

Thank you for checking as one way or the other I appreciate you efforts.... even though I know Beez will take advantage of me and try to beat me like a drum !! "TRY!"
Spent some time in Bangkok and Phuket while in SE Asia working.  Me and a buddy went to Phuket one time and were cruising the streets in the party district of Patong.  They have all these gals on the street with this various board and other games (chess is a frequent one).  Anyway, this one gal had a stump with a little 16oz finish hammer and some 16d framing nails.  She'd bet you she could drive a nail further into this stump than you could (same hammer, and exact same nails).  I worked as a carpenter for many years, and I know how to drive a nail!  At work we used to do this shit all the time!  So, of course I took the challenge.  The only hammer she had was this totally crappy 16oz claw hammer with a piece of pipe for a handle, but I figured hey, we're using the same hammer so she doesn't have a chance...right?

Heh, to this day I don't know how this gal, who couldn't have weighed even 90lbs soaking wet, could consistently beat a 270 lb 6'-5" experienced carpenter...but she did...every gawd damned time!!  Same stump, same nails, same hammer.  I have no idea how she did it!!  My buddy still teases me about that to this day!  That little Thai gal kicked my butt, badly!  LOL!

ETA: Well this looks interesting: https://play.chessbase.com/en/howto/embedfritz I'm digging into it.

I look in the Back-End for a chess plugin but the had none.
Once A Rogue, Always A Rogue!
[Image: attachment.php?aid=936]

Easy!  Just make a move, take a screen shot of the board, save it as a .jpg, and post it up!

Your turn! (wash, rinse and repeat)

Now your turn!
(03-26-2022, 04:14 AM)guohua Wrote: .

Thank you... I figure Ninurta will come up with something if it can be done..
(03-26-2022, 04:22 AM)727Sky Wrote:
(03-26-2022, 04:14 AM)guohua Wrote: .

Thank you... I figure Ninurta will come up with something if it can be done..

See my post above yours.
(03-26-2022, 03:16 AM)Ninurta Wrote:
(03-26-2022, 03:04 AM)727Sky Wrote: Thailand is not the same as it was back in 79/80 and Bangkok is a place I try not to go to as traffic has not gotten any better for sure. But, of all the places I have been to... Northern Thailand is my home now and I thank my lucky stars I made the move several years ago. Wife is the best of the best as are my living conditions.... my social needs revolve around golf and tournaments so here I am and plan to stay.

Lucy's Tiger Den still open?

hahhaha as far as I know it closed down several years ago .. Things went on there that most people would consider impossible.. I actually was taken there by a girl friend back in 1975 Amazing shows which I still remember some of them.... in particular the show with cigarettes...

Edit to add: to many Muslims in country now especially down south for the good times to roll.
(03-26-2022, 04:11 AM)FlyingClayDisk Wrote: Spent some time in Bangkok and Phuket while in SE Asia working.  Me and a buddy went to Phuket one time and were cruising the streets in the party district of Patong.  They have all these gals on the street with this various board and other games (chess is a frequent one).  Anyway, this one gal had a stump with a little 16oz finish hammer and some 16d framing nails.  She'd bet you she could drive a nail further into this stump than you could (same hammer, and exact same nails).  I worked as a carpenter for many years, and I know how to drive a nail!  At work we used to do this shit all the time!  So, of course I took the challenge.  The only hammer she had was this totally crappy 16oz claw hammer with a piece of pipe for a handle, but I figured hey, we're using the same hammer so she doesn't have a chance...right?

Heh, to this day I don't know how this gal, who couldn't have weighed even 90lbs soaking wet, could consistently beat a 270 lb 6'-5" experienced carpenter...but she did...every gawd damned time!!  Same stump, same nails, same hammer.  I have no idea how she did it!!  My buddy still teases me about that to this day!  That little Thai gal kicked my butt, badly!  LOL!

Driving nails is all in the wrist. Doesn't matter how much mass you have to come down on it, that last little bit of OOMF! whipped into the wrist is what it takes. It's the same with swords - all the real power comes out of the wrist.

She was probably playing on the fact that you're a big 'ol boy, and confident that you were aware of that and would use that bulk instead of the finesse in the wrist.

It's the same way scrawny little farts like me (I'm 6' 2" and 180 pounds soaking wet) wrestle 800 pound steers to the ground. You just find the weak point and make it happen. On a steer, like most animals, the head is the weak point - where that head goes, the body will follow. You just find the weak points on the head to make it go where you want it to. Ears, horns, sometimes a nose.

A nail is the same way - power comes from the wrist, and control comes from the head in a straight line down the shank. apply the power along that line, and, voila!

most folks swing from the shoulder and ignore the wrist, relying on their strength and mass to follow through instead of the power shot.

(03-26-2022, 04:14 AM)guohua Wrote:

I did too, and found the same thing. I'm looking for a way to embed it like a video at the moment. It seems that several years ago we had a discussion about embedding games, but I may be mistaken because I can't find it now.

(03-26-2022, 04:28 AM)727Sky Wrote: Amazing shows which I still remember some of them.... in particular the show with cigarettes...

Puff puff... I think Puff the Magic Dragon came from there.

Smoke rings were a bonus.

And, yeah, those Muslims tend to ruin everything wherever they go. I have met some real positive winners, but as a religion as a whole, they could stand an overhaul to make room for other folks and cultures.

The "Allah über alles" mindset is a buzzkill, and doesn't allow room for growth.

@"Ninurta" 
Okay, how do we embed a code like  [color=rgba(255, 255, 255, 0.65)]<iframe style="width: 400px; height: 560px;" src="https://www.chess.com/daily_puzzle" frameborder="0"></iframe>[/color]
DAMN!
I'm a regular pigeon when it comes to chess.

I think we all know the saying.