Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Five Types Of Looters You Must Prepare For
Duplicating some of my favorite posts which are informative, especially in these troubled times. 

Link no longer exists - http://survivethecomingcollapse.com/1486...epare-for/

Five Types Of Looters You Must Prepare For

In a collapse, not all looters are created equally. There will be varying degrees of how far a person is willing to go to survive. But even the best, most honest of people will be desperate for food and water. It’s a good idea to consider who might be approaching your doorstep before trouble shows.

Stan, the Family Man: He has loved ones that he desperately wants to protect. He ignored the hassle of preparedness. He even ignored FEMA’s suggestion of storing three days worth of emergency food and water. Money has been tight once his hours were cut since the economic slow-down. He’d thought about selling the jet skis and investing in storage food, but it was just too depressing. Now a wide-spread emergency has decimated grocer’s shelves in a matter of hours. Water is scarce and there are rumors of many in the area getting sick after drinking non-purified water from a nearby lake. The toilet won’t flush, sewage has backed up in the tub and there is no electric. Communications are down and he and his family are without hope. The first two days, he’d held out hope that help would arrive. But it hasn’t and his family is hungry and thirsty and frightened. Stan has always paid his dues, and would normally never think about stealing from others. But, that was then. He must do whatever it takes to provide for his family. The cooking smells coming from across the hallway of his apartment building has set a plan in motion. Survival has come down to them or him…

Toni, the Prisoner: When the lights went out, security at the prison was compromised. Most of the jail guards left for home at first sign of trouble. Now, the tables are turned and Toni and several other inmates have escaped. Toni and his group are on foot, but that doesn’t present a problem because their rural location offers plenty of opportunities. The farmers in the area have fruits and vegetables ripe for the picking. Several in the vicinity raise horses. Now that he and the other inmates broke out of prison, Toni considers himself lucky; the problem of food and transportation is solved…once he and the five other inmates have overtaken the family they’ve targeted.

Scorpion, the Gang Member: Scorpion, a member of a major gang is, mad at life and knows he’s entitled to survive because he’s young and strong. He’s willing to do whatever it takes without remorse. He and his homeboys have plenty of firepower and ammunition: the tools of their trade. They can’t wait to take what they need, just for the sheer sport of it. And it’s proven to be as easy as stealing candy from a baby. Several home invasions produced more than enough food, water and medical supplies. What didn’t interest them was grabbed and sold on the black market to desperate customers. The best part is they didn’t even have to leave the city. There’s more than enough to keep the gang well fed. Along the way, they’ve picked up an arsenal. Ammo is now so plentiful, it’s moved past need and has been sold for more than what gold and silver is fetching. The few police combating the looting and killing don’t have the manpower to take down his gang, and they’re on a rampage.

John, the Tactically Trained: For the past two days, John has had to watch his neighbors go into meltdown. They’re without food and water, as is John. One of his neighbors is a diabetic with no way to get insulin. They can’t call their doctor—cell and land line phones haven’t worked for days. Plus, the roads are in complete gridlock. The gas stations ran out of fuel within 24-hours of the crisis and many frantic motorists trying to flee ran out of gas, or experienced car problems, leaving their vehicles to clog the roadways.

John feels for his neighbor, but he has loved ones. They are his number one priority and he’s run out of time. John and several of his hunting buddies have decided it’s time to search for survival goods, taking their ATV’s. John’s military training now comes in handy. As leader of the group, he knows to head outside the suburb he lives for the boonies where it’s more likely there will be plentiful food and water and preparedness goods. They’ve agreed not to hurt anyone, so long as they’re allowed to take what they need. John knows what to look for: the sound of a generator or lights shining through windows. This is his signal a homeowner is prepared. During the day his group listens for the tell-tale sounds of a generator, a chainsaw, or a motorized vehicle, which isn’t hard to do now that the grid’s down. For days, things have been eerily silent. At night, John and his hunting buddies look for the tell-tale glow of lights reflecting from windows. In no time, they have what they need and will return to this rural goldmine on an as-need basis.

Brenda, the Naysayer: Brenda laughed when her co-worker, Sarah, shared her prepping plans. Now, the streets are over-run with desperate folks. The stores have been looted. Grocers, sporting good stores and gun shops were the first to get hit. But there have been plenty of TV’s, computers and high-ticket electronic items pilfered, even though they’re no good to anyone at present. The family car has an empty gas tank, but she’s in good health and so is the rest of her family. It’s just blind luck Brenda knows where Sarah lives, and the awesome part is she isn’t far—only a couple of miles away. Her family is into bicycling, so the problem of transportation is solved; They’ll just zip past the gridlock, baring looters, that is. The rest of Brenda’s plan lies with the knowledge that Sarah is kindhearted.

She’ll put Brenda and her family up until order is restored, which from the looks of things could be a long time. Brenda and her husband throw what little they have in their pantry (what they can handle weight-wise, anyway) into backpacks and pillowcases. Next, they clear out the medicine cabinet. They tried to use their ATM card for cash just yesterday, so they wouldn’t show up empty-handed—they’d never want to be seen as free-loaders—but the grid is hopelessly crashed, so no luck there, and all businesses are closed, including the banks. But Brenda doesn’t necessarily see that as a deal-breaker. She did everything she could, other than fill her pantry and get preparedness goods. And besides, Brenda has two adorable kids…how can Sarah say no?

Interesting.
Once A Rogue, Always A Rogue!
[Image: attachment.php?aid=936]
(03-25-2022, 04:56 AM)Infolurker Wrote: Duplicating some of my favorite posts which are informative, especially in these troubled times. 

Archived: Five Types Of Looters You Must Prepare For

I use to laugh at those Doomsday survivalist types. I stopped laughing about 6 years ago. A few years ago I started thinking these folks & the off-griders might be the ones that rebuild civilization.
"The New World fell not to a sword but to a meme." – Daniel Quinn

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that." ― John Lennon

Rogue News says that the US is a reality show posing as an Empire.

If this sort of prepper/apocalyptic thing interests you, you might be interested in the books one of my friends writes.

His name is Franklin Horton. We used to hang a lot when we were younger, and we worked together at a radio station years and years ago. He still lives not too overly far from here, and we have lunch every now and then.

His books are about people coping in post apocalyptic scenarios when the grid goes down and the lights go out. Two series, The "Borrowed World" series and the "Mad Mick" series are in the same literary universe, and are set in this geographic area. Those two series recently had a crossover which I have not read yet. One of the characters in the "Borrowed World" series was inspired by me. that character's name is Hugh, and I live in constant fear of the day Franklin kills Hugh off. he does that upon occasion - it ain't like the movies, it's more like the real world. Characters that you come to like over time can sometimes die, just as in the real world.

Another of his series, "the Way of Dan", has a protagonist that hails from @"Mystic Wanderer"'s neck of the woods, who finds himself half way across the country when the lights go out.

Yet another of his series, the "Locker Nine" series, I don't know anything about, as I've never read any of them.

I've read the first book in the Ty Stone series, but it's not really post apocalyptic. it's about a PTSD ridden veteran who finds his way in the world.

If you get a chance, check them out. He deals with post SHTF looters in them, among other things, and has some truly inventive ways of handling them.

Diogenes was eating bread and lentils for supper. He was seen by the philosopher Aristippus, who lived comfortably by flattering the king.

Said Aristippus, ‘If you would learn to be subservient to the king you would not have to live on lentils.’ Said Diogenes, ‘Learn to live on lentils and you will not have to be subservient to the king.’

(03-25-2022, 05:28 AM)EndtheMadnessNow Wrote:
(03-25-2022, 04:56 AM)Infolurker Wrote: Duplicating some of my favorite posts which are informative, especially in these troubled times. 

Archived: Five Types Of Looters You Must Prepare For

I use to laugh at those Doomsday survivalist types. I stopped laughing about 6 years ago. A few years ago I started thinking these folks & the off-griders might be the ones that rebuild civilization.

We're not going to rebuild civilization. The mess of civilization is what got us in this predicament in the first place. Why would we want our great grand children to repeat it all over again?

Diogenes was eating bread and lentils for supper. He was seen by the philosopher Aristippus, who lived comfortably by flattering the king.

Said Aristippus, ‘If you would learn to be subservient to the king you would not have to live on lentils.’ Said Diogenes, ‘Learn to live on lentils and you will not have to be subservient to the king.’