Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
GUITARS!!
(03-22-2022, 01:09 PM)NoAngels Wrote: Nice guitars Von, that Japanese Jackson has a real Lynch ESP vibe going for it

Yeah a lot of guitarists have far too many guitars (myself included) just sitting pretty in cases and hardly played

I have narrowed down my playable tone collection to Strat, Tele, and PRS

American made guitars to me are rock solid work horses, as are German amps
ALL OUR HEROES ARE WHORES

EXTERMINATE THE BRUTES

ACTION ALWAYS OUTWEIGHS WORDS

PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY IS NECESSARY
This is my PRS, a custom 22 amber coloured with their fattest neck

The guitar behind it with its front obscured is also amber coloured, an old American made BC Rich ST with a fat chunky neck and maple board 

[Image: E326-F663-81-E7-4-FA6-B7-E2-7-D6985-FAF710.jpg]
(03-22-2022, 06:56 AM)vonclod Wrote: I'll post up a few more guitars, first will be the one I abuse the most, Japanese made Jackson, it's about 25 years old, it's reliable, stays in tune, only 1 knob, and 1 pu, no inlays..for simple guys like me..lol

I loved the finish on Mykes project, I have an amber birdseye Epi LP, pretty unique

My Parker acoustic, another unique guitar, nice birdseye back and sides, not sure what material the fretboard is..plays nice, just like an electric.

My EVH Wolfgang Special, nice guitar, built in Mexico..super flawless build, and fretwork..really good, she's heavy.

[Image: Guitars-n-stuff-008.jpg]

[Image: Guitars-n-stuff-012.jpg]

[Image: Guitars-n-stuff-009.jpg]

[Image: Guitars-n-stuff-011.jpg]

[Image: Guitars-n-stuff-015.jpg]
Too many guitars!, not enough skill..lol
Your Jackson is nice! The paint scheme is very cool. The birdseye on your Les Paul is awesome! I love Les Pauls! Hold on tonthat Parker!! You don't see too many around. Its a beautiful guitar. I bet you love your Wolfgang. They are well loved by just about everyone who owns one. Thanks for adding to the thread!

EXTERMINATE THE BRUTES

(03-22-2022, 02:06 PM)NoAngels Wrote: This is my PRS, a custom 22 amber coloured with their fattest neck

The guitar behind it with its front obscured is also amber coloured, an old American made BC Rich ST with a fat chunky neck and maple board 

[Image: E326-F663-81-E7-4-FA6-B7-E2-7-D6985-FAF710.jpg]

I like the colors of your tele! Matching headstock too, nice. I love your PRS! That color is the exact color I used for the quilted explorer I built yes inspired by Santana's PRS. You apparently like thick necks. Everybody has their preferences. Nice guitars! Are you a working musician?

EXTERMINATE THE BRUTES

(03-22-2022, 02:04 PM)AmericanBuffalo Wrote: .... as are German amps

I would give my left nut for a Diezel... Way to expensive for me to justify.
(03-22-2022, 01:40 PM)FauxMulder Wrote: Ok here are a few. The ES 335 is a kit guitar I built for a friend. 

[Image: 20190721-190009.jpg]

This is my PRS. I put Seymore Duncan distortion pickups in it. Changed knobs to black and locking tuners. It had all clear hardware on it which I wasn't a fan of. 

[Image: 20220321-150839.jpg]

These are 3 kit guitars. You've already seen the 335. The SG was for another friend and the LP was for myself. 

[Image: 20190721-213908.jpg]

This is my Martin that I love. The first picture I was sending to my wife from the guitar store asking for permission  tinylaughing

[Image: 20211113-120556.jpg]

Book matched back
[Image: 20211113-125333.jpg]

[Image: 20211113-125425.jpg]

Ok that's it for now. Maybe more later.
I bet your Martin smells great! The first guitar I never built was a mighty might kit stray. Kit guitars are great for those who are handy. Also they are good to do a a parent/ child project. I like the SG, ATS on the headstock! That is awesome! I like your PRS. For whatever reason I am drawn more to the single cutaway PRS guitars. No Angel has a very beautiful PRS too. Great guitars! Thanks for posting up the pictures!!

EXTERMINATE THE BRUTES

(03-22-2022, 02:20 PM)AmericanBuffalo Wrote: I like the colors of your tele! Matching headstock too, nice. I love your PRS! That color is the exact color I used for the quilted explorer I built yes inspired by Santana's PRS. You apparently like thick necks. Everybody has their preferences. Nice guitars! Are you a working musician?

The matching headstock was the deal for me, don’t see too many of them and sea foam green is just killer! It’s just one of those regular tele’s that every year they do a run differently and that year it jumped out for me

As for the PRS, its so good I got rid of the an old LP as I never used it after. The pups on it are impressive 

Thank god I’m not a working musician, I would have been destitute the last few years due to no gigging 

I have a 9 to 5 job like most musicians, I’m just a few years younger than you and have played and been in cover bands since I was a teenager

I had to laugh last year in a shop when the lady serving who obviously assumed i made a living from music after seeing me play in bands was surprised when I said like most musicians thats just for fun but doesn’t pay the big bills!

At least things have improved and the pub gig circuit should be gagging for live music again, will be time to assemble and earn good beer money
(03-22-2022, 02:24 PM)FauxMulder Wrote:

Yeah I’m with you on that, amp wise I have always wanted something tanky and not Uber expensive 

HnK hit that sweet spot for affordability and ruggedness, I’m not sure on their current range but the old switchblade 100 watt tube head I have has onboard digital effects and just need the floor board for clean,mean and scream tones. Has a real sweet modern high gain voice with great verb and delay if needed 

Backup amp was always a solid state modeller, always handy to know you could finish gig on it if needed 

Have to say amp modelling has come a long way, I brought the PRS waves amp plug-in a few year ago during their sale for £7 and its a beast. Sounding just like a cranked switchblade

I bought the entire Bias amp plugin collection (cost a fair bit) but man, thats useable for authentic recordings

You can even virtually change your guitar in the chain to sound like another, and it made a prs sound like a strat. These tech guys are getting crazy good
(03-22-2022, 03:07 PM)NoAngels Wrote:
(03-22-2022, 02:20 PM)AmericanBuffalo Wrote: I like the colors of your tele! Matching headstock too, nice. I love your PRS! That color is the exact color I used for the quilted explorer I built yes inspired by Santana's PRS. You apparently like thick necks. Everybody has their preferences. Nice guitars! Are you a working musician?

The matching headstock was the deal for me, don’t see too many of them and sea foam green is just killer! It’s just one of those regular tele’s that every year they do a run differently and that year it jumped out for me

As for the PRS, its so good I got rid of the an old LP as I never used it after. The pups on it are impressive 

Thank god I’m not a working musician, I would have been destitute the last few years due to no gigging 

I have a 9 to 5 job like most musicians, I’m just a few years younger than you and have played and been in cover bands since I was a teenager

I had to laugh last year in a shop when the lady serving who obviously assumed i made a living from music after seeing me play in bands was surprised when I said like most musicians thats just for fun but doesn’t pay the big bills!

At least things have improved and the pub gig circuit should be gagging for live music again, will be time to assemble and earn good beer money
Once you find a guitar that feels right its hard to gontonanother guitar. I understand about no money playing out. Musicians have been making the same amount for years. Typically not enough to live off. I get it. I spent most off the 90's playing in a couple bands, did some touring and have worked the backline as a tech. Lucky for me I had a couple of well paying gigs which I banked. I left that life in 98 got married and settled down. My late wife and father urged me to go back to building/fixing/restoring guitars. So I did for about 5 years until the economy collapsed and I had to close the shop.

EXTERMINATE THE BRUTES

(03-22-2022, 03:30 PM)NoAngels Wrote:
(03-22-2022, 02:24 PM)FauxMulder Wrote:

Yeah I’m with you on that, amp wise I have always wanted something tanky and not Uber expensive 

HnK hit that sweet spot for affordability and ruggedness, I’m not sure on their current range but the old switchblade 100 watt tube head I have has onboard digital effects and just need the floor board for clean,mean and scream tones. Has a real sweet modern high gain voice with great verb and delay if needed 

Backup amp was always a solid state modeller, always handy to know you could finish gig on it if needed 

Have to say amp modelling has come a long way, I brought the PRS waves amp plug-in a few year ago during their sale for £7 and its a beast. Sounding just like a cranked switchblade

I bought the entire Bias amp plugin collection (cost a fair bit) but man, thats useable for authentic recordings

You can even virtually change your guitar in the chain to sound like another, and it made a prs sound like a strat. These tech guys are getting crazy good
Yes the tech for outboard gear is insane these days. Its seems like a deep pool to me diving into all that. I have pared down my gear through the years. I have a Carvin combo I have had since 1983 which I love. I have a Roland JC 120 which is sweet! Beautiful clean channel! I have 2 Fenders a solid state Champ 100 and a Deluxe reverb. I got rid of a Marshall Jubilee and cabinets as well a an Orange 4x12 cabinet. Just my combo' s now.

EXTERMINATE THE BRUTES

Yeah has been rough over the years for many mate, I’m sorry for your loss as well

I can remember a few years back reading an article about how low paid regularly gigging bands were in America, they could have flipped burgers and made more

I’ve an old friend who’s frankly amazing on guitar, but he earns a realy decent living not making music

To most its a hobby, and we make great friends on the road and interesting stories to tell

The hours are long, the pay isn’t that great but the buzz you get during and after the set is always worth it
Yeah combos are more practical mate, I still have my 4 x 12’s but when gigging again 2x12 is far easier!

I saw Paul Gilbert ages go near me and he used a 2 x 12 and sounded immense 

Last year on a whim I brought an old Peavey Bandit, silver face and its still good after all these years and solid state too-built like a tank
Nice guitar. Kit's are cool. I almost bought a flying V kit a few years back. The one with gold hardware and the big 'V' bridge. I wish i would have bought it when I had a chance, now they are hard to find and expensive.

Here's a old Austin hatchet I found at a garage sale last year for $5.00 I did not know what it was at the time. I did lot's of research and asked around a lot. They where made in 1981 and they are very rare. It features neck through and string though body.

I had to put new tuners, electronics, truss rod cover. I painted it with color shifting paint also. I still need to make a back coverplate for it though.

[Image: IMG-2022-03-02-15-50-56-387.jpg]

[Image: New-Back.jpg]
(03-22-2022, 04:59 PM)Proob4 Wrote: Nice guitar. Kit's are cool. I almost bought a flying V kit a few years back. The one with gold hardware and the big 'V' bridge. I wish i would have bought it when I had a chance, now they are hard to find and expensive.

Here's a old Austin hatchet I found at a garage sale last year for $5.00 I did not know what it was at the time. I did lot's of research and asked around a lot. They where made in 1981 and they are very rare. It features neck through and string though body.

I had to put new tuners, electronics, truss rod cover. I painted it with color shifting paint also. I still need to make a back coverplate for it though.

That's a unique guitar! Are those Duncan Invader pickups? I like the finish it as a nice iridescence quality. Looks like it would play nice too. I have put together some of those kits in recent years for customers. I have found the wood and construction on the kits to be quite good however the hardware is typically subpar in my opinion. Which makes them almost as expensive as a manufactured guitar by the time you source the hardware and put it together and finish it. Although it is a very enriching experience to build a kit.

EXTERMINATE THE BRUTES

(03-22-2022, 05:18 PM)AmericanBuffalo Wrote:
(03-22-2022, 04:59 PM)Proob4 Wrote: Nice guitar. Kit's are cool. I almost bought a flying V kit a few years back. The one with gold hardware and the big 'V' bridge. I wish i would have bought it when I had a chance, now they are hard to find and expensive.

That's a unique guitar! Are those Duncan Invader pickups? I like the finish it as a nice iridescence quality. Looks like it would play nice too. I have put together some of those kits in recent years for customers. I have found the wood and construction on the kits to be quite good however the hardware is typically subpar in my opinion. Which makes them almost as expensive as a manufactured guitar by the time you source the hardware and put it together and finish it. Although it is a very enriching experience to build a kit.
Thanks for the reply they are invader copies. They where cheap but imho just as good as the SDI. Seem to have good impedance and the punch of a actual invader. I had actual SD invaders on a older jackson guitar and they sound the same to me. I have a friend who got a SG style guitar kit and he said the same about the hardware especially the bridge and tuners.
(03-22-2022, 05:49 PM)Proob4 Wrote:

Thanks for the reply they are invader copies. They where cheap but imho just as good as the SDI. Seem to have good impedance and the punch of a actual invader. I had actual SD invaders on a older jackson guitar and they sound the same to me. I have a friend who got a SG style guitar kit and he said the same about the hardware especially the bridge and tuners.

Likely just as good as the Duncans without paying for the 'Name'. They are punchy pickups. I had a friend who put these on a cheap hollowbody when I was young. That guitar would just howl with feedback!!! I ended up replacing them for him and I kept the invaders. I still have them in a box somewhere. Too hot of a pickup for me!

EXTERMINATE THE BRUTES

(03-22-2022, 06:07 PM)AmericanBuffalo Wrote:

Likely just as good as the Duncans without paying for the 'Name'. They are punchy pickups. I had a friend who put these on a cheap hollowbody when I was young. That guitar would just howl with feedback!!! I ended up replacing them for him and I kept the invaders. I still have them in a box somewhere. Too hot of a pickup for me!
Yea I play mostly heavy stuff and these have a nice growl to them. I really don't actually get much feedback from them though. I can tell they have been wax potted from the factory. probably why the don't get much feedback at all. Another really cool pickup by Semour Duncan is the Screamin Demon humbucker. Had a friend who had them on Ibanez RG. They sounded great. Also the specs on these Invader copies is in range of the real ones. The bridge pickup ohms out to 15.25 and the Neck is 7.84. So I'd say that's good right? The bad thing i ecountered with these is the wiring from the neck PU and the Bridge PU was totally different. came with now wiring instructions at all. I had to use a mulltimeter to figure out what wire went to what coil and the polarity as well. That's when i got the ohms specs from. I wrote it all down as I was charting all the wires.
(03-22-2022, 07:19 PM)Proob4 Wrote:

Yea I play mostly heavy stuff and these have a nice growl to them. I really don't actually get much feedback from them though. I can tell they have been wax potted from the factory. probably why the don't get much feedback at all. Another really cool pickup by Semour Duncan is the Screamin Demon humbucker. Had a friend who had them on Ibanez RG. They sounded great. Also the specs on these Invader copies is in range of the real ones. The bridge pickup ohms out to 15.25 and the Neck is 7.84. So I'd say that's good right?
Yeah that would be about the right spec for those pickups. The Screamin Demon pickup was developed by Duncan with George Lynch to tailor to his sound. Great pickups and a great guitar player George Lynch. A very nice guy who is so down to earth and real easygoing. I play a lot of heavy stuff too but I am getting old and find myself heading to country and jazz when I play. That said my neighbors know when I'm in the mood to churn out the heavy riffs! Bombastic chords and crunch from hell!

EXTERMINATE THE BRUTES

(03-22-2022, 07:49 PM)AmericanBuffalo Wrote:

Yea I play mostly heavy stuff and these have a nice growl to them. I really don't actually get much feedback from them though. I can tell they have been wax potted from the factory. probably why the don't get much feedback at all. Another really cool pickup by Semour Duncan is the Screamin Demon humbucker. Had a friend who had them on Ibanez RG. They sounded great. Also the specs on these Invader copies is in range of the real ones. The bridge pickup ohms out to 15.25 and the Neck is 7.84. So I'd say that's good right?
Yeah that would be about the right spec for those pickups. The Screamin Demon pickup was developed by Duncan with George Lynch to tailor to his sound. Great pickups and a great guitar player George Lynch. A very nice guy who is so down to earth and real easygoing. I play a lot of heavy stuff too but I am getting old and find myself heading to country and jazz when I play. That said my neighbors know when I'm in the mood to churn out the heavy riffs! Bombastic chords and crunch from hell!

Yea I like Lynch, I didnt mention that. Signature type pickups. I had a real nice Jackson King V with some Dimebuckers in it's another signature pickup, man did that thing chug and played like a dream too, nice action. I needed money at the time and had to sell him, still regret it. Yea I am 58 myself and I blues it up sometimes with a cheap but decent Grote semihollow myself. It's got that awesome long sustain too.
(03-22-2022, 08:36 PM)Proob4 Wrote:
(03-22-2022, 07:49 PM)AmericanBuffalo Wrote:

Yea I like Lynch, I didnt mention that. Signature type pickups. I had a real nice Jackson King V with some Dimebuckers in it's another signature pickup, man did that thing chug and played like a dream too, nice action. I needed money at the time and had to sell him, still regret it. Yea I am 58 myself and I blues it up sometimes with a cheap but decent Grote semihollow myself. It's got that awesome long sustain too.

The Jackson King V's are hot guitars. I have a friend who is like everything Dimebag. He had several Dimebag model guitars. Jackson, Dean, and Washburn. He even has a Dimebucker in this Les Paul. Wicked pickups!

EXTERMINATE THE BRUTES