Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
GUITARS!!
I posted a picture of one of the guitars I have built in the 'Hobbies" thread by FCD. Myke Nukem responded with a picture of a guitar he is currently working on. He asked if I would share some of my other builds. I thought I would start a thread about guitars and I will post some of my builds and explain some of the process in building them.
Ideally it would be great if other members who are guitar nuts add pictures and stories related to guitars whether you build them play them or just plain appreciate them! Stick it in this thread and lets rock! Something to get the focus off all the strife and negativity in the world these days. I think we could all use a break from grim reality and appreciate the things in life which make it rewarding. For me a large part of that is guitars and music. With those I can lose myself in playing, listening, building or composing. Its a break from the zeitgeist.

WALNUTZ:
[Image: 11.jpg]

[Image: ddd.jpg]

[Image: 33.jpg]

[Image: ggg.jpg]

[Image: eee.jpg]

Top picture is a trio of guitars I built out of American Black Walnut.  Finished in nitrocellulose lacquer letting the natural beauty of the wood shine through. I build these guitars from scratch. Raw walnut, maple and rosewood. It would take me about 4 weeks to build a guitar from scratch.

Second picture is a dB model guitar which has DiMarzio super distortion pickups, in/out phasing as well as coil splitting. The neck is quartersawn maple with a rosewood fingerboard. Tusq nylon nut, Hipshot bridge.
The other guitar pictured is a DX model guitar. DiMarzio super distortion pickups, push/pull pots for coil splitting, has a Pigtail bridge/tailpiece combination. Neck is quartersawn maple with rosewood fingerboard and mother of pearl block inlay with a Tusq graphite nut.

Third picture is DX headstock detail. Hand done logo.

Fourth picture is DX body after finishing

Last picture just shows the incredible beauty of the walnut wood on the dB model.
I will add more - this is just a start!
ALL OUR HEROES ARE WHORES

EXTERMINATE THE BRUTES

ACTION ALWAYS OUTWEIGHS WORDS

PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY IS NECESSARY
Beautiful! I love the natural wood finish. If I remember I will post a few pics when I get home. Haven't built one from scratch but I have done a kit and refinished a few others.
Stunning! Real works of art. 
I battle just changing strings  tinylaughing
(03-21-2022, 05:07 PM)FauxMulder Wrote: Beautiful! I love the natural wood finish. If I remember I will post a few pics when I get home. Haven't built one from scratch but I have done a kit and refinished a few others.

Definitely add a picture to the post! I just love guitars in so so many ways! I too like a natural finish. Wood has a such a depth to its beauty when finished. Thanks!!

EXTERMINATE THE BRUTES

(03-21-2022, 05:10 PM)SleepyGuitar Wrote: Stunning! Real works of art. 
I battle just changing strings  tinylaughing

LOL thats alright! People pay me to put strings on guitars so your not alone! Thanks!

EXTERMINATE THE BRUTES

HARLEQUIN
[Image: harlequin002.jpg]

[Image: harelequin1.jpg]

[Image: harlequin2.jpg]

[Image: harlequinheadstock.jpg]

This is a dB Harlequin. The body is alder wood, neck is a typical dB styled neck. The guitar has a Floyd Rose with Sperzel locking tuners. It was an experiment with not using a locking nut which worked! The paint job took almost a month. Very tedious applying the diamonds. Body was sprayed black then masked the diamonds and sprayed DuPont Ferrari red lacquer.  It is definitely a unique looking guitar. It was a shredders guitar for sure.  Again DiMarzio super distortion pickup.

EXTERMINATE THE BRUTES

Unbelievably gorgeous bro.

I love the shaping and contouring, very sexy. Also, wood left natural and the birds-eye is like drugs....
Those phaze shifter pups must sound good doing some Brian May solos  tinycool

You do what I aspire to, I'm not even close to capable of that level, but working on it. The biggest challenge is convincing my wife that I need more stuff, haha.

You're an artisan, a true craftsmen. 

Thanks for posting these!!!

I'll post a few more pics later too.

[Image: new-logo-mini.png][Image: pc-mini.png]

The Shit Apple Doesn't Fall Far From the Shit Tree - Jim Lahey speaking about Trudeau

(03-21-2022, 05:58 PM)MykeNukem Wrote: Unbelievably gorgeous bro.

I love the shaping and contouring, very sexy. Also, wood left natural and the birds-eye is like drugs....
Those phaze shifter pups must sound good doing some Brian May solos  tinycool

You do what I aspire to, I'm not even close to capable of that level, but working on it. The biggest challenge is convincing my wife that I need more stuff, haha.

You're an artisan, a true craftsmen. 

Thanks for posting these!!!

I'll post a few more pics later too.

Thanks! I am going to be 55 in July. I built my first guitar when I was 14 years old. I brought the guitar to Hamer guitars to show it off and I got hired when I was 19 years old. I have more to add here and will. Post more too. The more guitars the better!! Your words are kind sir.

EXTERMINATE THE BRUTES

You are a talented Artisan, they look so well made.

Well done
(03-21-2022, 08:22 PM)NoAngels Wrote: You are a talented Artisan, they look so well made.

Well done

Thanks you. They are handmade with lots of love!

EXTERMINATE THE BRUTES

They look gorgeous. You have some mad luthier skills.
That Harlequin one is stunning.
I am WonderCow....hear me moo!
What are the frets? Jumbo stainless steel?
[Image: guitarz-046.jpg]

Thats my Jackson Dominion. Mark Morton from Lamb Of God, sig model. Has Dimarzios, chambered body, ebony fretboard..its not my favourite, but it's a classy girl

Props to those who can build, at one point in time, I wanted to be a lutier.
Nice Jackson, and sweet Hughes and Kettner amp

Still got an old HnK Switchblade 100 watt head and matching 4 x 12 cab with greenbacks I used in the gigging days
(03-21-2022, 08:34 PM)WonderCow Wrote: They look gorgeous. You have some mad luthier skills.
That Harlequin one is stunning.

Thank you! It was very time consuming to get that finish.

EXTERMINATE THE BRUTES

(03-21-2022, 08:38 PM)NoAngels Wrote: What are the frets? Jumbo stainless steel?

Medium nickel frets for the most part. Stainless lasts forever but it kills strings quick!

EXTERMINATE THE BRUTES

(03-21-2022, 08:47 PM)NoAngels Wrote: Nice Jackson, and sweet Hughes and Kettner amp

Still got an old HnK Switchblade 100 watt head and matching 4 x 12 cab with greenbacks I used in the gigging days
Thanks!

It's a cool little amp, the Switchblades were great! I don't gig, so I like having the option of running less watts(variable output), so I don't blow the windows out. I like that it has a noise gate too. I do want a bigger cab though. The little 1x12 has a vintage 30, I do have a greenback I would like to try, it's 25w vs 65w for the v30..I think it will break up nicer.

I'll post up some other axes later!
(03-21-2022, 08:43 PM)vonclod Wrote: [Image: guitarz-046.jpg]

Thats my Jackson Dominion. Mark Morton from Lamb Of God, sig model. Has Dimarzios, chambered body, ebony fretboard..its not my favourite, but it's a classy girl

Props to those who can build, at one point in time, I wanted to be a lutier.
That's a sweet guitar! Hughes Ketner amp too! I love Jacksons and Charvel  I have one of each. My Charvel is an 86 San Dimas and is likely my favorite of my group. Which includes a Gibson Les Paul Custom so that says something about the Charvel I think. Thanks for posting your axe!

EXTERMINATE THE BRUTES

(03-21-2022, 08:33 PM)AmericanBuffalo Wrote:
(03-21-2022, 08:22 PM)NoAngels Wrote: You are a talented Artisan, they look so well made.

Well done

Thanks you. They are handmade with lots of love!

How many hours gets put into a build?
My Charvel
[Image: 20220306-172546.jpg]

EXTERMINATE THE BRUTES