Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The Thirteenth Floor
[Image: attachment.php?aid=10913]

The Thirteenth Floor (1999)
One of two major motion pictures released in 1999 about a futuristic simulation whose inhabitants believe they're in the real world. The other was The Matrix (1999) released two months earlier. Though it feels 10-15 years older than The Matrix.

Based on the 1964 science fiction novel "Simulacron-3" by Daniel F. Galouye. This has been made before as a 3 1/2 hour TV-serial in Germany, titled "Welt am Draht" (WORLD ON A WIRE, 1973) by Rainer Werner Fassbinder.

Situated in 2024 with cyberspace-time traveling back to a seedy and gorgeous-looking sci-fi neo-noir Los Angeles 1937. Quite retro-futuristic, or futurist-retroic?

Actor Vincent D'Onofrio said that the theme of the movie was about wanting something that you couldn't have.

Also, in the dialogue between Ashton and Douglas near the end, when Ashton switched with Whitney: Ashton said: "What did you do to the world?" "Turned it off." "Then put it back!" These are the same lines as in the beginning of Timewave Zero...

As stated in the DVD commentary by writer-director Josef Rusnak, the final shot of the movie emulates an old fashioned television set being turned off i.e. where the picture collapses into a circle in the centre of the screen and then fades away. This is to leave open the question of whether there are 'even higher realities' above the one shown in the last scene i.e. being in the year 2024.
Hannon Fuller: [First lines] Ignorance is bliss. For the first time in my life, I agree.

For sci-fi fans I thought this was an excellent film.

minusculeguzzlingbeer

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

"The New World fell not to a sword but to a meme." – Daniel Quinn

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that." ― John Lennon

Rogue News says that the US is a reality show posing as an Empire.

(03-21-2022, 03:36 AM)EndtheMadnessNow Wrote: [Image: attachment.php?aid=10913]

The Thirteenth Floor (1999)
One of two major motion pictures released in 1999 about a futuristic simulation whose inhabitants believe they're in the real world. The other was The Matrix (1999) released two months earlier. Though it feels 10-15 years older than The Matrix.

Based on the 1964 science fiction novel "Simulacron-3" by Daniel F. Galouye. This has been made before as a 3 1/2 hour TV-serial in Germany, titled "Welt am Draht" (WORLD ON A WIRE, 1973) by Rainer Werner Fassbinder.

Situated in 2024 with cyberspace-time traveling back to a seedy and gorgeous-looking sci-fi neo-noir Los Angeles 1937. Quite retro-futuristic, or futurist-retroic?

Actor Vincent D'Onofrio said that the theme of the movie was about wanting something that you couldn't have.

Also, in the dialogue between Ashton and Douglas near the end, when Ashton switched with Whitney: Ashton said: "What did you do to the world?" "Turned it off." "Then put it back!" These are the same lines as in the beginning of Timewave Zero...

As stated in the DVD commentary by writer-director Josef Rusnak, the final shot of the movie emulates an old fashioned television set being turned off i.e. where the picture collapses into a circle in the centre of the screen and then fades away. This is to leave open the question of whether there are 'even higher realities' above the one shown in the last scene i.e. being in the year 2024.
Hannon Fuller: [First lines] Ignorance is bliss. For the first time in my life, I agree.

For sci-fi fans I thought this was an excellent film.

minusculeguzzlingbeer

I loved that movie.

I just re-watched it about a month and a half ago.

For every one person that read this post. About 7.99 billion have not. 

Yet I still post.  tinyinlove
  • minusculebeercheers