Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Do you have unusual Thanksgiving traditions?
Here's the boring backstory behind mine and this one takes me on a trip down memory lane.

In 1967-ish, I was 12 years old and going through some pretty tough times for a kid but I had a loving middle-class mom and step-dad that while pretty normal in most ways, were also characters in their own right. Since my step-dad (Fred) came into my life when I was 10, we’d had to move 4 times in two years because of my “problems” and all of us were damn tired of it so we moved to a new state with the aim of staying put and putting down some roots. Those alive during those times and remember, things in this country were pretty political and turbulent with riots and mass anti-war protests with a sense of great uncertainty and change in the air but people had finally started waking up and our society and culture began evolving beyond the zeitgeist of the 1950s. I was going through a lot of personal stuff then too and yet another big life change moving states had all of us kind of open to new things.

My mom would have been mid-30s and Fred a few years older and if it weren’t for the fact they both had normal straight jobs and we lived in a nice house in a good neighborhood and had nice cars, they fancied themselves as cool, hip, open-minded and somewhat bohemian and could have maybe even been free spirited hippies or beatniks in another life? Today we would probably label them progressives or liberal and even though they weren’t particularly political or radical, they were certainly influenced by the cultural atmosphere of the day.

My mom was an incredible woman of amazing strength, creativity and dogged stubbornness but indeed a free spirit, an artist, a creator and a fighter a good 7/8 years into her 1960 given ten more years to live prognosis and knowing her time was short, she made sure to not miss a minute of it. Her charge ahead zest for life, experience and happiness undoubtedly influenced much of my own personality.

Fred was her 3rd husband with a bit of his own dubious background experience causing somewhat of a third eye awakening that the American dream wasn’t all it was cracked up to be. With Masters in theology and psychology, pastor of a large Lutheran congregation in Southern California and a wife and three sons, a scandalous affair with a parishioner  cost him everything in life, his home, his family and his faith and he was “on the road to find out” and rediscover himself so to speak when he’d met my mom a few years prior so he more or less was living life on his own terms as well.

I’m sure my situation also may have had something to do with them being outwardly normal while discretely counterculture? I suppose having a kid like me that most considered broken or defective and them not really giving two shits what other people thought about it might have steered them toward more liberal mindsets but I digress…

Point is, as far as parents go they were pretty cool. They loved Rowan and Martin’s Laugh-in and the Smothers Brothers which were pretty edgy and controversial shows for the day, listened to rock, folk and all kinds of music and my mom was a Star Trek fan and drove a GTO. They had parties and had eclectic and diverse friends and in 1967 when this song came out, they were immediately drawn to it and it turned into a family Thanksgiving tradition to listen to it every year.

And that song was  Alice’s Restaurant Massaccree or just Alice’s Restaurant by Arlo Guthrie, son of the iconic American folk singer, Woody Guthrie.

It is catchy, humorous 18 minute long anti- war protest song with a story about getting arrested for illegally dumping trash on Thanksgiving and dealing with an arrest record for littering when called to the draft board. Not a Thanksgiving went by without this album being played on the living room stereo and when the movie based on the song came out in 1969, I can remember standing in line with my folks and a bunch of weirdos waiting to see it. (I also remember that was the first time I saw tiddies on screen!)

So it may be a quirky thing and even though I lost my parents 40+ years ago, I still always listen to Alice’s Restaurant on Thanksgiving day and remember them and those heady days.  I spend my holidays alone and don’t do anything special or celebrate in any way but I do listen to Alice’s Restaurant on Thanksgiving and reflect on the fortunate events and good things in my life.

Happy Thanksgiving fellow Americans regardless of your politics even if the story behind the holiday we all grew up with is kind of bogus. Not without our problems, no doubt, but we do still live in a great country and I am thankful for that.

Afterthought:
This song also planted a seed that a few years later became a fear and potential worst nightmare scenario in my overworked and anxious adolescent brain. What if I got drafted and had to go sit on the Group W bench? (song reference)

By the time I was approaching 18, they had basically stopped calling people up and shortly after I turned 18 they did away with the draft entirely so there was never really any threat but the fear of what a shitshow it would be if I did have to deal with this was something that haunted me thanks mostly to this song. I had been living as a girl for three years at that point (1973) and on hormones for a year and when I did turn 18 and by law had to register with the Selective Service Bureau, it was a very depressing and dreadful moment.  

Does anyone else have any quirky holiday traditions?
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
A happy Thanksgiving to you and yours  tinybiggrin

I can't say I have anything quite as good as that one. 

I am older and miss heading over to Aunt So-n-so's for the holiday meal and seeing everybody. They are all gone now. Folks now-a-days seem more concerned with shopping. My wife isn't originally from the US so Thanksgiving is not a big deal for her. 

In short, it seems like a loss for me but I have great memories.
We didn't really have strange Thanksgiving traditions (other than having two different turkeys, one smoked turkey and one traditional- mom and dad never could agree), but we had some strange Christmas traditions!

For starters we would go late in the afternoon on Christmas Eve to exchange gifts with my mom's family, nothing strange there. But once it was dark we proceeded to a huge family party with my dad's family. The dining table was loaded with every type of liquor/alcohol imaginable and anyone tall enough to reach the table and pour a drink was welcome to have at it even if you could only reach by climbing up on a chair or the kitchen step ladder. After eating, drinking, exchanging gifts and being merry the entire family formed a giant caravan and headed to Midnight Mass- everyone from youngest to oldest drunk as a loon!

After Mass everyone went to their own homes to nestle in and await Santa. Kids rose early and began playing with toys left by the jolly old elf- quietly though until the parents woke up. Once the parents were awake and the cooking began that is when the disco music was cranked up! We danced all day long with friends and family in and out all day- and if you didn't dance you were threatened with no presents or feast!

Needless to say we never listened to traditional Christmas music and to this day we all still dance with disco music blaring every Christmas Day whether together or apart. In fact we call KC and the Sunshine Band our traditional Christmas music. Thankfully Kdog plays along even though he isn't a disco kind of guy! 
"As an American it's your responsibility to have your own strategic duck stockpile. You can't expect the government to do it for you." - the dork I call one of my mom's other kids
[Image: Tiny-Ducks.jpg]
Nah, no real thanksgiving traditions. One day is pretty much the same as the next to me. My family is having a big get-together at my sister's house, but I ain't going. A brother in law that I don't get along with at all is there, and I'd rather not ruin their holiday by repeatedly knocking him on his ass, so I stay home. There's a reason, two or three reasons in fact, I'd knock him on his ass, but to keep the peace I stay away, and he stays away from me. 

I'm not big on turkey, so Grace substitutes with a cornish game hen for her (call it simulated or shrunken turkey I reckon) and a small ham for me. Neither of us is up to cooking today, so "thanksgiving" will probably be tomorrow instead. A moveable feast day I suppose.

Regarding "Alice's Restaurant", I was in college at a small, private, Liberal Arts college (Virginia Intermont - I don't think it even exits any more) and went home for the weekend one weekend. When I got back that Sunday evening, everyone on campus was calling me "Arlo", and I had no damned idea why. As it turned out, they'd shown "Alice's Restaurant" - the movie - while I was gone, and in those days I was a dead ringer for Arlo Guthrie (we could've been identical twins), so the name stuck. I was kicked out of that school after about a month, and the protest write-ups in the school paper referred to me as "Arlo" as well.

Christmas is a "moveable holiday" for me, too. When I was married to my first wife, we celebrated Christmas in late January or early February so we could take advantage of the after-Christmas sales. I'm just a cheap bastard, I reckon.

ETA: Just for grins and giggles, I checked up on good old Virginia Intermont, and it is indeed closed now. It closed down due to financial concerns, ironically the same reason they kicked me out of it. They had given me a scholarship and then revoked it, wanting me to take out student loans instead after they had already admitted me, and a month into classes, and I was unwilling. The vacant campus appears to have been bought up by (SURPRISE!) the Chinese, with intent to create an "International School" of some kind there.

I was enrolled as an Art student under the world famous sculptor (in junkyard trash as a medium) Marvin Tadlock. There is a story there too, of a drunken art binge the night before a project was due that I did, and made an A+ on the project despite the drunken stupor I created it in, but I digress.

Apparently, when they were undergoing their "financial troubles", they kept sending me duns as an "alumni", wanted me to send them money to bail them out. Given the nature of my departure, nothin' doin', hoss. They wouldn't bail me out when I needed it, and I felt a compulsion to return the favor.

What goes around comes around.

The Chinese bought a pig in a poke - they paid 3.3 million for a campus that stands in need of 20 million in repairs, and still owes 5 million in salaries to former faculty and staff. I reckon that's OK - China seems to have money to burn these days.

Diogenes was eating bread and lentils for supper. He was seen by the philosopher Aristippus, who lived comfortably by flattering the king.

Said Aristippus, ‘If you would learn to be subservient to the king you would not have to live on lentils.’ Said Diogenes, ‘Learn to live on lentils and you will not have to be subservient to the king.’