Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
A Very Marie Christmas
Marie woke, slightly hungover, to the sound of a rooster crowing. She groaned as she rolled over and got out of bed. Why had she let Josh convince her that chickens were something they needed around the farm? He’d of course won her over when he informed her that they eat spiders. However, it’s now December, there are no spiders out there, it’s cold and she had to feed them. She quickly dressed and made her way downstairs. She started coffee and looked out of the window. Pitbull Penny and Malinois Bella were running and jumping around enjoying the cold morning. She popped a couple of aspirins into her mouth and downed her coffee before grabbing her coat and stepping outside.

The cold north wind blasted her face with what seemed like hurricane force. She muttered to herself that she should have bought a place in Florida. She hurried over to the feed building and got a scoop of chicken feed and went to pour it out for the chickens. She saw Josh over by the horse trough breaking ice. She waved at him and thought it was too soon to be this cold in Oklahoma. She dreaded what the rest of winter might be like.

Penny and Bella paused from their game of scatter the redbirds as Marie’s mother drive into view. She threw open the door of the Bonneville and in a huff asked “Do you not answer the phone anymore?”

The phones battery had died a couple of days ago and Marie just hadn’t seen it necessary to charge it. She’d been enjoying a few days peace without anyone from the Realm of Light Agency calling her. “Sorry mom, I guess I forgot to put it on the charger.” She said. “I didn’t mean to worry you.”

Her mother hugged her and said “As long as you’re okay.” She then smiled and said “Your dad and I have been invited to view the lights in Bricktown this year. Why don’t you take a few days off and meet us? We’ll be staying in one of the nicer hotels and there will be a party in the ballroom. Please say yes”.

Marie didn’t tell her that this was the last thing she wanted to do. Her parents and their happiness meant a great deal to her so she accepted the invitation one one condition “Mom, are pets allowed? I don’t want to be gone for two nights without Penny and Bella.”

“I’ve already thought of that and we’ve paid extra for them to come two.”

Marie asked her mother if she’d like to come in for coffee but she declined so Marie finished her chores and went back inside to find something to wear. She found a black dress hiding in the back of the closet and figured it would have to do. She finished packing and did a few more things around the house. She took a thermos of coffee out to Josh and sat by the fire for awhile and thought it might actually be nice to spend a couple of days with her parents.

The next morning she took her bag out to her 55 Ford and couldn’t believe her luck. Both back tires were completely flat. “What the hell” she muttered aloud.

Josh saw her standing there, staring at her tires and walked over to see if he could help. 

“Well that looks like someone slashed them.” He said. “But how’d they do it without us seeing, or hearing them?”

Marie had an idea but decided that it was probably better left unsaid. “I dunno Josh. It is strange though” she said.

“Why don’t you take mine? I know your parents are looking forward to seeing you. I got a buddy that’ll bring a couple new ones. There’s a manual tire changer over by the barn we can use to change ‘em out.”

“Is that what that is?” She asked.

“Josh laughed and asked “What you think it was?”

Marie just shrugged and changed the subject. “I wish you were going with me Josh. I hate going to this sort of stuff.”

“Not my kind of thing either and it’s probably best I stay here anyway cause I’m still on probation.”

Marie nodded and said “Well I should be back in a few days it’s all yours until then.”

She called the dogs and got them loaded into the black 4x4 dually that felt way to big for her and smirked thinking that Josh must have little man syndrome. She adjusted the seat and started it up immediately changing the radio station. She then put it in gear and drove out of the gates. She had a ten mile drive to the interstate then she entered the on ramp and headed north for her two hour drive to Oklahoma City.

The north wind buffeted the truck the entire trip. It was starting to sleet when she got to the hotel. She parked the truck in the parking garage, grabbed her bags, and put leashes on the dogs. She then went inside to check in. She immediately felt out of place and was relieved to get to her room.
And then what?

tinybiggrin
She put the dogs’ blankets on the floor and called her mother to let her know she’d arrived. There was a knock on her door before they’d even hung up. Her parents hugged her warmly and greeted Penny and Bella with belly rubs and treats. They informed her that there had been a break in the weather and they’d really like to get down to see the lights. 

Marie grabbed the dogs’ sweaters, yes even foul mouthed, .38 shooting, whiskey drinking monster hunters like to dress their dogs warmly when going out in the cold. She put their leashes on and they all headed out of the room. They arrived downstairs and went through the front doors of the hotel, frigid air blasting their faces. The Smiths joined them soon after. Marie realized that she’d forgotten to ask how they’d come to know the couple, but there was no time to inquire now.

There was a carriage sitting near the curb with no line. The sign said Big L’s Carriage Rides $15. She wondered who Big L might be. As they neared, she and the driver made eye contact and Marie tensed.

“Big L?” She asked lifting an eyebrow.

“At your service ma’am” the man with dark hair, wearing all black replied. “Maybe you’d like to sit up here with me, you’d be able to see more and not be so cr...”

“Nope” she said, cutting him off.

The dogs however thought that was a great idea. They clambered into the carriage, climbed over and sat right next to him, then looked at Marie to see if that was ok.

“Marie, really” her mother said.

Marie just shrugged and chose to sit where she could watch the driver’s back. One just doesn’t have their back toward Loki because you could just never be sure who’s side he’s on.

The carriage was one of those two seat affairs with the seats facing each other and was pulled by two gorgeous matching Fjord Horses. The seating gave the passengers the opportunity to visit as the rolled off to look at the lights, the sound of the horses hooves echoing in the night.

Oh and visit they did. There was a lot of talking and oohing and ahhing over light display. Marie mostly stayed silent, her eyes never straying from Loki’s back. She just couldn’t figure out what he was doing  here. She had a feeling she’d be finding out soon. 

She had to admit, the lights were pretty and the clip-clop sound of the horses was relaxing. She was snug and warm between here parents with the blanket that was covering them. At the end of the ride her parents were delighted to receive a big old fashioned candy cane. Marie declined. Penny and Bella wagged their tails happily and offered paws to shake for ear scratches and treats.

“Marie” her mother scolded, as they walked back toward the hotel, “That man was nice. I can’t believe how rude you were”

“Let it go mom.” Marie warned.

Her mother decided that she would, for now. Though she would probably bring it up again because to her mind it didn’t matter if she was five or thirty five Marie was her baby and she’d raised her better than that. She hoped the Smiths hadn’t noticed how sullen Marie had been.

Marie’s father joined her and said “The Neil and Donna said they couldn’t help but notice how Marie kept staring at the carriage driver. They were surprised the two hadn’t exchanged numbers, so I invited him to the party. Maybe they have something in common. They both like horses so that could be a start.”

Marie’s mother looked at him, eyes wide “Oh Ted, I’m not sure that’s a good idea, something about him seemed to set Marie off.”

“But Maggie, she needs to date more. She spends all her time at that ranch, just her and that hired hand. People are bound to talk.”

“Well let them talk. Marie is doing what makes her happy.”

Happy couldn’t describe what Marie was feeling at that moment as she paced her room and went over every possible scenario of why Loki could have shown up here. The Smith couple bothered her as well. Who were they? She thought she knew all of her parent’s friends.

She went over to the nightstand, pulled out her .38 and made sure it was loaded - again. She then poured herself a glass of whisky to try and wash down the bad feeling she was having. She crawled into bed but couldn’t sleep. She got up and went to the other side where Penny and Bella were sleeping between the bed and the wall and lay down on the floor with her .38 in reach. She had to get some sleep because her mother wanted to get some Christmas shopping done the next day.

A few hours later a groggy Marie heard something in the room. The dogs were growling softly. She opened her eyes to see a figure reaching toward where she had been on the bed. She grabbed the pistol and cocked the hammer back. The figure stopped mid movement  and ran to the door. She thought she saw a flash of a red hat in the light coming in from the lobby.

“Girls, I don’t think that was Santa” she said as she switched on the light.
Yay!!!

...... and then what?  tinybiggrin
She checked the time, 4:30 AM. She decided to just get up. She started coffee, hoping no one had used the hotel coffee maker to wash their underwear, like some of the stories she’d heard. She then jumped in the shower. After she showered, she dressed in a clean pair of jeans and a hooded flannel then sat down to sip her coffee while waiting for her parents to let her know they were ready.

She didn’t have to wait long as Maggie wanted to hit the shops just as soon as the doors opened. She rushed Marie and her father out of the door, and to the elevator. Once in the parking garage they all loaded into the Bonneville, Mari and the two dogs in the backseat. 

They spent most of the day shopping breaking to eat some fast food in the parking stall of a burger joint. “Really Marie, I’m sure the dogs would have been fine at the hotel. We could have eaten somewhere nice.” her mother said from the front seat.

The dogs couldn’t see what all the fuss was about, they thought the burgers were great and scarfed them down quickly. Marie, For her part, kept gazing around looking for anyone suspicious wearing a red hat. This wasn’t as easy as one would think, as it was close to Christmas after all and red seem to be the color of the day. She was however convinced that in spite of what her mother may think, the dogs would not be safer in the hotel room.

The rest of the shopping trip was a blur. Marie’s feet were aching and she couldn’t believe her mother was still so full of energy after all the stops they made. Her father was smart and used the dogs as an excuse to wait in the car. Finally convinced she’d seen everything the area had to offer Maggie called it quits on the whole shopping experience and they headed back to the hotel, packages stuffed in every spare corner of the car.

They got back to the hotel with just enough time to spare to get themselves ready for the party. Maggie grabbed Marie’s arm as she headed to her room and thrust a bag into her hand. “I picked this up for you. I saw the black dress you had hanging in your room and thought this would be a better choice. It is Christmas after all and not a funeral.”

Marie thanked her mother, took the bag and went into her room, Penny and Bella right on her heels. It was as she had expected, her room was a mess. All of her bags had been dumped and her things rummaged through. Somebody was either looking for something or sending her a message and it was pissing her off. Then she saw the broken whiskey bottle and was really pissed. 

She quickly cleaned the broken glass. She didn’t want herself or the dogs to cut their feet and then proceeded to get dressed, all the while thinking she‘s find whoever did this and itching to let her .38 ask them why. She managed to calm down and looked at herself in the fall length mirror. She couldn’t believe her mother had picked this dress out for her. Luckily the red dress flared at the hips but it was barely long enough to cover her leg holster. She hadn’t looked inside the shoebox yet and shook her head at the contents. Red boots that would go over her knees were nestled inside. Those would be fine, she thought but did the heels have to be so high? How did Maggie even get them purchased without her noticing?

She put Penny and Bella’s new Christmas sweaters and reindeer antlers on them, grabbed their leashes and headed downstairs to the ballroom. The ballroom certainly was festive. A giant tree took up most of a corner in the side of the room. The extravagant decorations looked like a picture from a magazine. There was even a fake fireplace next to it. The tables were to the sides of the room with the dance floor in the center. The tables were decorated elegantly. She politely declined the champagne that was offered from the server carrying a large tray of the bubbly drink and walked over to the bar to get a glass of whiskey. She spotted her parents walking her way beaming at her. Her father looked quite handsome in his black tuxedo  and her mother was a knockout in her floor length green gown with a slit that went high up on her thigh. They made their way toward one of the tables and that’s when she saw him. “What the fu...”

“Marie!” Her mother almost shouted. “Your father invited him. Be nice.”

“He did what?” Marie asked hardly believing her father would do such a thing. Before Ted could answer Loki arrived at Marie’s side and asked if she’d like to dance. She was about to tell him no but caught her mothers look telling her that she better not ruin the evening. Even monster hunters can be a little scared of their mamas. She did a slap his offered hand out of the way as they walked toward the dance floor together. The song was much too slow for Marie’s taste and as Loki put his arm around her waist he pulled her close, leaned down and whispered in her ear “Is that a .38 in your leg holster or are you just happy to see me?” Marie just stared at him. “Not funny then?”

“Not in the least.” Marie said, then asked “What are you even doing here?”

“Well, your father invited me. Your parents are very nice, makes me wonder what happened to you.”

“Not here” she snapped. “Here, in Oklahoma City.”

“Oh yes, that. Hel has it in her mind that someone here has the key to Baldur’s prison and is planning a rescue. She thinks she knows who and believes they are at this party. Now that I think of it maybe you could go talk to her and calm her down. She won’t listen to me I barely got her to wait in that fishing store’s parking lot to think about it before she came down here and did anything rash.”

“If it’ll get me away from you, I’ll go” Marie said.

She went over and motioned to Penny and Bella, who had taken a break from being the life of the party and were currently laying next to the fake fireplace, to follow her. She headed to the parking garage and climbed into the big 4 x 4. She started it up, drove out of the garage and to the fishing store, as Loki had called it. When she arrived the lot was empty, the store having closed hours ago. She looked around for Hel and finally spotted her near a park like area that had a fountain and a few benches. She slipped on her coat and started walking toward her. When she got there, she softly called out to the very tall woman who was pacing angrily “Hel?”

Hel spun around and growled out “You! Where is it?”

“Uh oh” Marie thought. “Thanks a lot Loki.” She muttered and started trying to form a plan.
As Hel began transforming Marie backed up and asked “Where is what?”

Hel didn’t seem interested in answering her question so Marie reached under the hem of her dress for her .38 and wondered if the bullets would just bounce off of the now growing giantess. She got the pistol out of the holster and had it halfway pointed toward her adversary when Hel took one step, reached out and grabbed the weapon. She heard the grip crack and the steel give way as Hel crushed the .38 up like an empty beer can.

“Ooof” Marie breathed out. She yelled to Penny and Bella “Load up!”

The three of them ran to the Dually. Once they’d gotten in Marie looked, only to see the now 8 1/2 foot woman bearing down on them quickly. With no time to get away, at 5’3 and weaponless Marie had no chance against the giantess, she did the only thing she could think of. 

She said “Brace yourselves girls!” As the dogs hopped down in the back floorboards she put the truck in drive, floored it and drove forward.

By some stroke of luck, either by Hel’s forward momentum or the way she was positioned in that moment, the airbags didn’t deploy as the brush guard struck the giantess and pitched her forward, putting her head through the windshield. This gave the two dogs, still wearing their reindeer antlers, ample opportunity to begin happily licking Hel’s face.

Hel glared at Marie, who surprised herself by saying “Now can we talk about this?”

Hel said “I want that key.”

“Wait a minute” Marie said shocked. “You think I took it?”

“He said you did.” The Giantess said shrinking back to her former size of over 6 feet and sliding off the hood of the truck, her head having plenty of room to slide out of the busted windshield now that it was much smaller.

Marie reached into the ice chest and got a beer for each of them. “Who? Your father?”

“No, for once he’s innocent.” Hel said. “It was the Red Cap hired to kill you. I searched your room trying to find it but it wasn’t there so was going to go to that party and demand you give it back. Oh don’t give me that look, Father didn’t know it was you I suspected.”

“So were you in my room more than once?” Marie asked.

“No just the one time.”

Marie shivered as she thought what it meant. The first trespasser must have been the Redcap and if she’d been asleep on the bed he would be collecting his pay and she’d be dead.

“Well it’s been fun.” Hel said as she began walking toward the fountain. She grinned at Marie and said “Portal. I have to get back to my realm and make sure everything is still in order. Good luck with that Redcap.” She waved and vanished into the water.

As Marie stood looking at the busted windshield, dreading driving back to the hotel with cold air blowing in her face, she noticed a black car pull into the parking lot. Loki stepped out and took in the scene “Well I see you and Hel spoke.” He said sardonically “We have to get you back to that party. Not to panic you but there is some thing amiss.”

Marie called the dogs. They all got into the car and hurried back to the hotel. Marie threw the car door open and was running toward the entrance before Loki had even put it in park. She got to the ballroom doors and reached to open them as Loki appeared next to her. 

Upon opening the doors she was speechless over the scene in front of her. The tree was pushed over, decorations scattered all over. Tables were laying over on their sides and people were huddled together crying. “Something amiss? Amiss Loki?“ She hissed. She gasped when she saw the Smiths standing in the middle of the chaos, her parents there with them, their hands bound behind them.
Neil Smith smiled and said “Glad you could make it Marie. How was Hel? Did you two have a nice visit?”

Marie’s mother looked at her and back to Neal with a confused look, finally resting her eyes on the other Smith “Why Donna?”

Neil answered instead “Because Maggie, your daughter has been wrecking our plans for far too long. No mortal should have those sorts of powers. She is an abomination and must be stopped.”

“Like hell!” Ted shouted and stomped his captor’s foot.

Marie rushed in, reaching for a pistol that wasn’t there and knew she had to come up with a plan soon. She stopped short when an ugly little man with a red hat stepped in front of her. Out of sheer frustration she uttered “Jesus wept”.

The Redcap looked at her, eyes wide in surprise and blinked out of existence. Something that resembled a key drop to the floor. She took no time to wonder what had happened. She ran to one of the tables that hadn’t been overturned and snatched up the salt shaker. Meanwhile, unseen by anyone, Penny and Bella had crept up behind Neil  and Donna Smith and sank their teeth into their flesh pulling them back from Ted and Maggie. Marie ran faster opening the salt shaker and didn’t stop until she had completed a circle around the Smith’s pouring the salt as she went. 

Neil and Donna began to speak as one but several voices seem to be coming from their mouths at the same time. “We are many and you are one. Yet you stand there knowing that you will be defeated. Why fight? You will lose little Marie.“

Marie started speaking in Latin when a woman with long dark hair joined her “Marie, that does not go well with your accent. Sounds terrible. Let me finish it.”

Marie stepped back to let the woman finish the banishment spell as Loki stood beside her. He slipped something into his pocket. The key perhaps? As much as she didn’t like the idea of keeping Baldur prisoner, what happened between him, Hel and that key was none of her business so she kept her opinion to herself, for now.”

He leaned over and asked “Why didn’t you tell me there was a Redcap after you? I was relieved to see you defeat him. I was afraid that since you hadn’t encountered one before, you wouldn’t know, that somewhere along the way, quoted scripture from the Bible seems to have become one of their weaknesses.”

“Huh? What verse?“ she asked and Loki looked at her with a bemusement. She went on to say “I didn’t tell you because I didn’t know who’s side you were on. I still don’t. You only seem to do what benefits you.”

“Fair enough.” he said as the dark haired woman joined them.

“Hello Lilith” Marie said.

“Hello Marie. Well, this is quite the mess. I’ll have to make them forget any of this happened and we’ll have to put the room back like it was.”

As Lilith pulled a device from her bag Marie looked toward her parents and said “Make me forget too Lilith. I can’t stand knowing they were in danger because of me.”

Lilith considered a moment before she asked “You’d give up this extraordinary live for something safe and boring?”

“If it keeps them safe, yes.”

“We need you Marie but if this is something you want, then it’s something I’ll do for all the times you’ve helped me.”

Before she could speak the words however, there concussion in the room like a blast from a silent explosion. Smoke and vapor stood in the center of the ring of salt. A voice came out of the cloudy mass, “Oh Marie, one more thing. I’ve sent my agents to your ranch. I’m sure they’ll leave my regards with the gentleman you have staying there.”

The smoke vanished. Marie and Lilith looked at each other. “Change your mind? Let me finish up here and we’ll go save your little buckaroo.”
@"VioletDove" 

More please! 
"As an American it's your responsibility to have your own strategic duck stockpile. You can't expect the government to do it for you." - the dork I call one of my mom's other kids
[Image: Tiny-Ducks.jpg]
Marie decided to run to her room and get her things so she wouldn’t be underfoot while Lilith changed memories. When she returned Lilith and a few others from the agency had been hard at work. Everything looked the same as it had before. The guests were laughing and having a great time. She bristled and started in when she saw the Smiths near her parents.

“Not so fast Marie.” Lilith warned. Those are truly the Smiths. They must have gotten possessed after they arrived here. It’s okay. Your parents are safe. I couldn’t help but notice how brave your father was. I just couldn’t take all that away from him. Well, you’ll see what mean.

Marie walked over to her parents to tell them goodbye.

“Oh Marie!” her mother said enthusiastically. “You should have seen your dad earlier. There were two stray dogs that found their way in here. They bit poor Neil and Donna. Your dad pulled them off of them and chased them out of the hotel. Those dogs were so big and frightening, not like your sweet Penny and Bella. He was amazing.” 

Ted looked a little embarrassed at all the praise and waved off the compliment. 

Marie hugged her parents and said “I’m so proud of you dad, you are more amazing than you’ll ever know. I’m sorry I have to leave, something has come up at the ranch. I love y’all and will see you on Christmas Day.”

Marie left her key at the front desk. She then walked over to where Lilith and Loki were waiting and asked for a ride back to the dually.

Loki said “Lilith will drive you home. It would seem I’ve given up my carriage ride business and am now the proud owner of Big L’s Towing.”

She thanked him as they looked at Lilith’s little sports car. Marie wondered how Penny and Bella would fit in the small backseat. “Loki? Seems I have one more favor to ask. Can Penny and Bella ride with you?”

“It would be my pleasure. I will take exemplary care of them.”

Marie looked him in the eye and said “You’d better or I’ll figure out how to become immortal so I can torment you forever.”

“You already torment me Marie” he said as he and the dogs made their way to the tow truck.

Marie and Lilith got into the car and sped to the interstate then rocketed south, the lights from the city a blur. Marie tried to call Josh several times but there was no answer. They made it to the gates of the ranch in record time. Lilith pulled out a 9mm and Marie, almost embarrassed asked “You wouldn’t happen to have another one of those laying around would you?”

“Glove compartment “ Lilith answered, eyebrow raised.

Marie opened the glove compartment and pulled the pistol out of it. She hated it. She missed the feel of her .38. She thanked Lilith anyway.

The ranch was completely dark when they arrived. Marie’s 55 Ford pickup wasn’t anywhere in sight and she dared to hope that Josh was okay. Then she spotted them. A pair of angry cyclopes were charging toward them from behind the barn. Marie and Lilith stepped out of the car and emptied their magazines into them. The cyclopes fell and disappeared before their eyes. They reloaded and checked the rest of the ranch over for more enemies. To their relief there was nothing more lurking in the shadows. As they were finishing up Loki pulled in with the tow truck hauling the dually. 

Marie had gone over to the barn to open the doors so she could drive the truck in where it would be out of the weather. She was relieved to see headlights. Josh. The gravel crunched under the tires of the pickup as he pulled into the driveway. He stopped, killed the engine and ran toward her. 

“Marie, what happened?” he asked worried, staring at the windshield.

Marie said “Hel.”

Josh looked confused “Hail? I didn’t know there was even a storm. Glad you’re okay.”

Marie shrugged and said “I know a guy that can come out and replace it. Until then you can keep driving mine.”

Loki had unloaded the dually and let Penny and Bella out of the tow truck. He said his goodbyes then drove away. Marie walked Lilith to her car.

“Still want me to wipe your memory?” Lilith asked.

“No” Marie answered. “Seems this stuff is bound to keep happening and I can probably keep everyone safer if I know about it.”

Lilith smiled and said “Take a break, I’ll call you soon.” Then she got in her car and drove away.

A few nights later found Marie sitting near her fireplace. It was Christmas Eve. She had finished putting up her tree and wrapping presents for her parents, Josh and Penny and Bella. It had been a quiet few days and she was grateful. She sat up when she heard a sound outside. She walked out and saw a red sleigh complete with reindeer. A man wearing a red suit was digging around in a bag. “Hello Marie!” he boomed. 

“Hi Santa” Marie said almost shyly as Penny and Bella ran through the doggy door tails wagging.

Santa handed the dogs a couple of juicy bones and new collars along with protective vests. He then handed Marie a bottle of her favorite whiskey. “Compliments of Mrs. Claus.”

She thanked him and asked if he’d like some and went in to grab a couple of glasses.

“Oh” he said after he took a drink, “I almost forgot. Hel sent this. She felt bad that she broke yours and asked the Dwarven Blacksmiths, Brokkr and Eitri if they could do something about it. It’s unbreakable Marie.” He placed into her hand a shiny new .38.

Marie smiled and said “This is the best Christmas ever.”

Santa laughed and climbed back into his sleigh and as it climbed into the sky, it began to snow. Marie waved and Santa shouted “Merry Christmas!”