Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Boogeymen: The Bearilla
Central Appalachia has more than it's fair share of cryptids. Some are the result of misidentification, some are the result of overactive imaginations and tales told over the fire over generations, and some may just be unexplained or uncommon animals. We have tales of Bigfoot-like creatures, we have tales of "black panthers", we have tales of a strange critter called a "Sheepsquatch", "alien big cats" like lions have been reported, baboon like "monkeys", giant snakes, and the list goes on and on.

Some of the tales are from pioneer days, some are from even before those days, tales told by Indians and passed on to white people as they filtered into this country. I myself have seen things here I can't explain. That doesn't mean they can't BE explained, it only means I don't have an explanation for them.

I present to you a 45 minute video on one of those cryptids that I have never, until today, even heard of - the "Bearilla". The video concentrates on an area of central Kentucky around Mount Sterling, but if such things are there, I see no reason they should be limited to that area, if they are real and not just campfire tales... which is a distinct possibility.

Daniel Boone is mentioned in the video. It's almost obligatory when discussing Kentucky to give a nod to Daniel Boone, but given the nature of the video, I don't know why they never mentioned his report or tale of having encountered a creature in Kentucky that he called a "Yahoo" or "Yayhoo" on one of his hunting and exploratory trips into that then wilderness. It seems that tale would fit right in with their narrative, so I don't know why they just skipped right over it.

I have to take exception to the advice given at a couple points in the video that "if you see one, RUN!" I think that is very bad advice, as most predatory things are hard-wired to pursue and attack when anything runs away. On the other hand, when you stand your ground and show no fear (it's perfectly normal to feel it, just don't SHOW it!), that gives whatever you are facing pause for thought - if everything in the woods runs from it, what is this creature that isn't running, and what does it have that may prove fatal to it? More often than not, they simply leave, since discretion is the better part of valor, just so long as you stand your ground without crowding them. Crowding them tends to provoke a defensive response, one that requires you to then fight it... which you may not want to do!

One intriguing part of the video is the tree scratches. I have no doubt they are real, but have no explanation for what caused them. A few years ago, my son sent me some photos of similar scratches on trees, about 7 or 8 feet above the ground, and wanted me to identify them for him - but I couldn't. I've seen bears rise against trees and scratch them like that, territorial markers I suppose, but that far off the ground would indicate a really BIG bear, much bigger than what one normally sees here. I couldn't tell him for sure what scratched his trees, just that it was big. He tends to think "Bigfoot", but I've never heard of Bigfoot scratching trees. beating on them with sticks, yes, but not scratching them up like that.

He lives in eastern West Virginia, a long way from Mount Sterling KY. However, there is nearly unbroken wilderness the entire way between the two, with only the occasional road tunneling through the trees and brush. If such a beast does exist in Central Kentucky, there is nothing really to prevent it from traveling that distance undetected for the most part.

What if... ?

Diogenes was eating bread and lentils for supper. He was seen by the philosopher Aristippus, who lived comfortably by flattering the king.

Said Aristippus, ‘If you would learn to be subservient to the king you would not have to live on lentils.’ Said Diogenes, ‘Learn to live on lentils and you will not have to be subservient to the king.’

I love this stuff (and that Ninurta provides a good narrative with them too!). Being late in the evening here,
that video is pencilled in for tomorrow morning.
Cheers Sir!
minusculethumbsup
Edith Head Gives Good Wardrobe. 
(11-13-2021, 10:23 PM)BIAD Wrote: I love this stuff (and that Ninurta provides a good narrative with them too!). Being late in the evening here,
that video is pencilled in for tomorrow morning.
Cheers Sir!
minusculethumbsup

I'm currently watching another video out of this same series on "The Thunderbird" that I may post for tomorrow, along with another personal tale of an encounter...

Diogenes was eating bread and lentils for supper. He was seen by the philosopher Aristippus, who lived comfortably by flattering the king.

Said Aristippus, ‘If you would learn to be subservient to the king you would not have to live on lentils.’ Said Diogenes, ‘Learn to live on lentils and you will not have to be subservient to the king.’

(11-13-2021, 10:34 PM)Ninurta Wrote: I'm currently watching another video out of this same series on "The Thunderbird" that I may post for tomorrow, along
with another personal tale of an encounter...

*Rubs hands with anticipation*
tinybiggrin
Edith Head Gives Good Wardrobe. 
I don't know what year this video was made, but if Bearilla is real he is being crowded out quickly! Around Mt. Sterling planned neighborhood full of look alike "McMansions" have been springing up seemingly overnight for several years now along with Starbucks and other bourgeoisie businesses where there once was only farmland. All they showed on the video was the quaint, downtown area of old.

Of more interest was the female reporter who spoke of yet never named the infamous Waddy Werewolf. Waddy is an extremely small, rural area with one small gas station/general store and is a beautiful area- we actually tried to find a house in the area but unless you have kin that passes and leaves it to you in their will you are shit out of luck. 

Anyway, the Waddy Werewolf popped up on the local news one night about 3-4 years ago. There were several sightings in the Lawrenceburg area and in one of the incidents it even attacked and carried off a lady's dogs as she was out walking them in a neighborhood near the golf course. 

We would actually LOVE to live in that part of the state particularly because of all the different cryptid sightings and were actively searching nearly every weekend before covid came and put the brakes on our plans. Anderson and Shelby counties are beautiful and have more cryptid and paranormal stories than you can count!
"As an American it's your responsibility to have your own strategic duck stockpile. You can't expect the government to do it for you." - the dork I call one of my mom's other kids
[Image: Tiny-Ducks.jpg]
I'm with BIAD on needing to delay watching the video, but I can't wait. I might be able to get to it tonight. Also, the thunderbird legends have always intrigued me. I'm interested in your assessment.

Cheers
Aw yeah.... monsters!!!

Love that stuff. Thanks for posting. Now I gotta' check if the Mountain Monsters crew ever tried to lasso this one.