Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Meet the Planets
Meet the planets.

01. Mercury

This series sounds to be narrated by Sulu from Star Trek. It's an encapsulation of the state of knowledge we have at this point about our nearest neighbors.

Each of these videos is around 12 or 13 minutes long, and there are 10 or 12 videos, so either crack open a beer and pop some popcorn, or, if you have no interest in things astronomical, just feel free to move on.

Diogenes was eating bread and lentils for supper. He was seen by the philosopher Aristippus, who lived comfortably by flattering the king.

Said Aristippus, ‘If you would learn to be subservient to the king you would not have to live on lentils.’ Said Diogenes, ‘Learn to live on lentils and you will not have to be subservient to the king.’

02. Venus

Diogenes was eating bread and lentils for supper. He was seen by the philosopher Aristippus, who lived comfortably by flattering the king.

Said Aristippus, ‘If you would learn to be subservient to the king you would not have to live on lentils.’ Said Diogenes, ‘Learn to live on lentils and you will not have to be subservient to the king.’

03. Earth

04. Mars

This space for rent. They've not got around to a video for Mar yet, and that's curious.

05. An interlude to represent the asteroid belt.

05-2 Jupiter.

Note: the four largest moons of Jupiter are called the "Galilean moons" because they weere discovered by Galileo, not in 1975 as this video states.

06. Saturn

07. Uranus/Ooranos

08. Neptune

09. Pluto

They say Pluto is not a planet now. They are wrong. It is.

10. Planets Beyond

Pluto has recently ("recently" in my time frame, anyhow - 2006) been classified as either a "dwarf planet" or a "Kuiper Belt Object". There are several thousand "Kuiper Belt Objects", and beyond the Kuiper Belt is the Oort Cloud... for a light year or so... where comets originate. BUT, beyond the Oort Cloud.... stars, and other stars have more planets...

(11-11-2021, 10:34 AM)Ninurta Wrote: 09. Pluto

They say Pluto is not a planet now. They are wrong. It is.

Love your argument. Cogent & convincing.

"Good judgment comes from experience...
Experience...? Well, that comes from poor judgment."
~ Dean Martin ~

Thanks for the daily educational videos. 

Dont they had plan to send humans to Mars.? One way ticket.....but maybe they killed the plan. I doubt it would be nice place to live, not without coffee.
(11-11-2021, 05:06 PM)Kenzo Wrote: Thanks for the daily educational videos. 

Dont they had plan to send humans to Mars.? One way ticket.....but maybe they killed the plan. I doubt it would be nice place to live, not without coffee.

I found this article about living on Mars.
The Green body color is Ridiculous.
[Image: RW-graphic-child-born-on-mars-v2-1.jpg?w=620]
Source
Once A Rogue, Always A Rogue!
[Image: attachment.php?aid=936]
(11-11-2021, 05:18 PM)guohua Wrote:
(11-11-2021, 05:06 PM)Kenzo Wrote: Thanks for the daily educational videos. 

I found this article about living on Mars.
The Green body color is Ridiculous.
[Image: RW-graphic-child-born-on-mars-v2-1.jpg?w=620]
Source

What is Elon thinking  tinysurprised  that article shows how crazy the whole Mars colony idea is.

The green skin look's so bad. 

Just cancel the plan, and send only robots.
(11-11-2021, 02:26 PM)Minstrel Wrote: Love your argument. Cogent & convincing.

And succinct! Simple, and to the point!

smallrofl

I'm an old man, and for all my life. Pluto has been a planet. Once upon a time, "planet" was defined as any celestial body with sufficient mass to pull itself round through gravitational forces, but which was not self-luminous, like a star. While Pluto fills that bill, they also found that some asteroids also fit that description, most notably Ceres. That caused them to rethink the status of Pluto.

So then they came up with a new class, "Minor Planets". I could live with that - it was still a "planet". THEN they started finding other balls of ice in the Kuiper Belt, and went to rethinking the status of Pluto again, finally demoting it officially to "Kuiper Belt Object", which in layman's terms means "not a planet". That was just a bridge too far. Pluto had always been a planet, and Pluto had not changed a bit, so clearly Pluto must still be a planet, despite whatever label they want to hang on it.

I think currently the classification of Pluto is ""Dwarf Planet". I'm good with that, since it's still a "planet", same as it's big brothers. and an upgrade from "just a random ball of ice in the Kuiper belt".

So, yeah, folks who deny it's planet status are just wrong.

Our Moon has actually plenty of oxygen, it`s just in the rock material called regolith , so it is not in the form we could breathe now.

The Moon’s top layer alone has enough oxygen to sustain 8 billion people for 100,000 years
Pluto is an Awesome Planet, YES I said Planet!  tinysure

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ1aIc-zzzNZs0e2sYINx6...g&usqp=CAU]
Once A Rogue, Always A Rogue!
[Image: attachment.php?aid=936]
(11-12-2021, 05:02 PM)guohua Wrote: Pluto is an Awesome Planet, YES I said Planet!  tinysure

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ1aIc-zzzNZs0e2sYINx6...g&usqp=CAU]
Even if he is a dog apparently owned by another dog who weirdly seems be a sort of human.  Sorry, I'm being goofytinylaughing

Cheers
[Image: 14sigsepia.jpg]

Technically, I think Pluto-Charon should be classified as a "double planet", since they co-orbit each other around a common barycenter - a point in space where their gravities cancel each other out which they both orbit.

Maybe they should be classified as a "double dwarf planet", but that just sounds weird...