Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Snopes Got Caught Plagiarizing Other Websites
Most of us here have known that Snopes was not a trusted site to tell us what's true and what isn't, but this just helps to validate what we've been saying all along. 
When someone tells me Snopes said it was/wasn't true, all I can do is laugh and go about my day. If they still believe Snopes, I know I'm wasting my time talking to a zombie. 

Quote:Snopes, a fact-checking website, has retracted at least 54 articles after finding its co-founder and CEO repeatedly plagiarized content from other websites.

David Mikkelson, the Snopes co-founder, has been suspended as the website completes an internal review of the issue.
The review so far has uncovered 54 stories that Mikkelson wrote using the pseudonym “Jeff Zarronandia” or were published under a generic “Snopes Staff” byline, Snopes senior management said in a statement on Friday.
The stories used “appropriated material,” the management said.

Mikkelson plagiarized entire paragraphs from news websites for the articles, according to an Epoch Times review of some of the articles.
For example, a 2015 story about Kentucky county clerk Kim Davis denying requests from gay couples for marriage licenses, matches nearly word-for-word a Reuters article about the development.

A 2016 story under Mikkelson’s name about the death of boxer Muhammad Ali pulled a paragraph from an NBC article.

Readers who go to the Snopes articles are met with an alert that the content has been retracted.

“The post was retracted because some or all of its content was taken from other sources without proper attribution,” the pages state.
Each page now includes a link to the stories from which Mikkelson plagiarized.
The plagiarism was first identified by BuzzFeed News, which contacted Snopes, triggering the internal investigation.
Mikkelson, who did not respond to a request for comment, told BuzzFeed that what he did stemmed from not having formal journalism training.

“I didn’t come from a journalism background,” he said. “I wasn’t used to doing news aggregation. A number of times I crossed the line to where it was copyright infringement. I own that.”
Snopes did not answer emailed questions.

This is just half of the article. Read the rest here: Source
I can concur with what Mystic's saying here because I fact-checked it.
tinylaughing
(They're all in on it!)
Edith Head Gives Good Wardrobe. 
"...without proper attribution..."

[i]"...I didn’t come from a journalism background...”[/i]

Uh huh. Only an accredited journalist would know not to copy entire chunks of other people's work and claim it was their own. That is actually graduate level journalism school stuff right there. 

No way is Snopes just another media outlet. No Sir. They are no way in on the information campaign. Just because they are publishing Deep State talking points verbatim is not an indication of anything. It was simply an honest mistake. 

Look we've all been there. We've all owned websites purported to be the final authority on what is fact and what is fiction. Let's not judge.
(08-14-2021, 08:28 PM)ABNARTY Wrote: "...without proper attribution..."

Uh huh. Only an accredited journalist would know not to copy entire chunks of other people's work and claim it was their own. That is actually graduate level journalism school stuff right there. 

No way is Snopes just another media outlet. No Sir. They are no way in on the information campaign. Just because they are publishing Deep State talking points verbatim is not an indication of anything. It was simply an honest mistake. 

Look we've all been there. We've all owned websites purported to be the final authority on what is fact and what is fiction. Let's not judge.

@"ABNARTY", You ARE being sarcastic, right?   tinyfunny

I saw one of their "fact checks" last year and clicked on the link where they said they found the truth. 
It was a CNN article.   tinylaughing
(08-14-2021, 09:43 PM)Mystic Wanderer Wrote:
(08-14-2021, 08:28 PM)ABNARTY Wrote: "...without proper attribution..."

@"ABNARTY", You ARE being sarcastic, right?   tinyfunny

I saw one of their "fact checks" last year and clicked on the link where they said they found the truth. 
It was a CNN article.   tinylaughing

Yes I was being a bit sarcastic  tinydrroling

I cannot believe how much faith people put in Snopes. Wasn't it run out of some guys garage?
I've referred to them on occasion and found some good information debunking some things, but others that were blantent propaganda. I certainly don't trust them for providing unbiased assessments of information I'm digging into, but like the evening news it provides insight into the propaganda more than any reliable information, so there is that at least.