Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The kill shot last week missed us
Last week there was a major CME/solar flare that luckily erupted from the back side of the sun from our position. The visual I must say is impressive.

I am in the camp that says it is not "if" but "when" is the question for what has been called the solar kill shot. If it happens and the grid is blown out, that means the factories and infrastructure will also be out of commission so we can not expect New wiring, new transformers, or people to have the means and equipment to restore electricity .... I really do hope i am dead and gone sometimes before this happens... Other times except for the heat I am in a place where we will survive as we have food and water and are surrounded by people who know how to do with very little or nothing.

Some of the cities of the world and anyone living in them are going to be in a world of hurt between the outage and the gangs who will be out and about wanting from anyone who has anything IMO.
 https://youtu.be/4ZzQ4diWu4k
(07-19-2021, 06:45 AM)727Sky Wrote: Last week there was a major CME/solar flare that luckily erupted from the back side of the sun from our position. The visual I must say is impressive.

I am in the camp that says it is not "if" but "when" is the question for what has been called the solar kill shot. If it happens and the grid is blown out, that means the factories and infrastructure will also be out of commission so we can not expect New wiring, new transformers, or people to have the means and equipment to restore electricity .... I really do hope i am dead and gone sometimes before this happens... Other times except for the heat I am in a place where we will survive as we have food and water and are surrounded by people who know how to do with very little or nothing.

Some of the cities of the world and anyone living in them are going to be in a world of hurt between the outage and the gangs who will be out and about wanting from anyone who has anything IMO.

Yup. It will happen too. I agree. The Carrington Event is some neat stuff to read about. If it happened today? Total mess. 

I find what's amazing is there are places which monitor and report on this all the time. Space Weather, etc. You have to do your own foot work to keep up though. The MSM is a waste of time.
That is scary.   tinyhuh

I could survive if there were a food supply shortage, but who could survive if EVERYTHING went bye-bye; food, electricity, water, transportation, AIR CONDITIONING?   tinysurprised

We seem to have been lucky with a lot of near misses lately. Our luck is bound to run out eventually.
Is there a known working technique to prevent the solar burst harming electrical equipment ?

I sometimes think about this, but i dont know enough...The idea is to get this kind of equipment, and store it in the way that solar burst would not effect it in anyway .

Portable Power Station

and few solar panels too for it.

Solar panels

So in case sun would cause trouble, i would just take the stuff and go make some coffee tinysure , which is highly important routine...even in the case of armageddon.
(07-19-2021, 05:14 PM)Kenzo Wrote: Is there a known working technique to prevent the solar burst harming electrical equipment ?

I sometimes think about this, but i dont know enough...The idea is to get this kind of equipment, and store it in the way that solar burst would not effect it in anyway .

Portable Power Station

Solar panels

So in case sun would cause trouble, i would just take the stuff and go make some coffee tinysure , which is highly important routine...even in the case of armageddon.

@"Kenzo" 

My husband has our fifth wheel rv completely self contained with 560Ah (amp hour) which is 7,168 Wh (watt hours) from 8 (eight) 280Ah Lithium Iron Phosphate batteries hooked up for a 12 volt system, using 3 (three) 100 Watt Monocrystalline solar panels we can set up outside when we are stationary and move into the sun and 1 (one) of the same type solar panels on the roof which is all wired into the TRIRON 3210N Intelligent MPPT 30a Solar Charge Controller, 12V 24V.
Yes we use a 150 amp BMS to manage the charge from our MPPT solar charge controller to our batteries so we do not over charge them.  

All of our electrical needs in our 54th wheel, both AC and DC is provided by the GoWISE Power PS1004 3000W Continuous 6000W Surge Peak Power Pure Sine Wave Inverter.
This inverter takes the 12 volts and converts to AC if you are using the coffee pot/microwave/vacuum cleaner or any thing that needs house current, yes I have ran the coffee maker and the vacuum cleaner and microwave all at the same time, we can even run our A/C unit for close to 2 hours before worrying about the batteries being low at night, during the day it is no problem.
We have turned off the Propane to our refrigerator when it was low and run the rv frig on the batteries for a week until we could get the propane tanks refilled.

Lead acid batteries will not do all of this and will only last for maybe 4 years, how do we know, my husband had for years used 4 big 115Ah a peace lead acid batteries hooked in parallel for 12 volt system and we were never Happy as we are now.

Yes we do have a 8000 generator we carry for emergencies but so far for the last two years we have had to drain the gas once the summer is over, we don't use it like we did before.

Everything I mentioned can be found at Amazon except the Lithium Iron Phosphate Batteries, they are best to buy from Aliexpress, yes from China where all these batteries are basically made anyway. 
Aliexpress has companies that will build the batteries from scratch and test them and Balance Charge them for you and provide Free Shipping to your door but because they do all this it takes about 5 to 6 weeks to get the batteries.
Yes we have bought 16 batteries from them 8 (eight) for us and 8 (eight) for my husband best friend and built the same system for his big 40 foot toy hauler we have.    

My husband did all this himself before he found the Youtube Sites that can help you build this for not only your RV but Home as well.

My husband built ours for about $2000.   

Here is a forum that can help: DIY Solar
Here is the young man's youtube channel: Channel
Once A Rogue, Always A Rogue!
[Image: attachment.php?aid=936]
(07-19-2021, 07:07 PM)guohua Wrote:
(07-19-2021, 05:14 PM)Kenzo Wrote: Is there a known working technique to prevent the solar burst harming electrical equipment ?

Portable Power Station

Solar panels

@"Kenzo" 

My husband has our fifth wheel rv completely self contained with 560Ah (amp hour) which is 7,168 Wh (watt hours) from 8 (eight) 280Ah Lithium Iron Phosphate batteries hooked up for a 12 volt system, using 3 (three) 100 Watt Monocrystalline solar panels we can set up outside when we are stationary and move into the sun and 1 (one) of the same type solar panels on the roof which is all wired into the TRIRON 3210N Intelligent MPPT 30a Solar Charge Controller, 12V 24V.
Yes we use a 150 amp BMS to manage the charge from our MPPT solar charge controller to our batteries so we do not over charge them.  

All of our electrical needs in our 54th wheel, both AC and DC is provided by the GoWISE Power PS1004 3000W Continuous 6000W Surge Peak Power Pure Sine Wave Inverter.
This inverter takes the 12 volts and converts to AC if you are using the coffee pot/microwave/vacuum cleaner or any thing that needs house current, yes I have ran the coffee maker and the vacuum cleaner and microwave all at the same time, we can even run our A/C unit for close to 2 hours before worrying about the batteries being low at night, during the day it is no problem.
We have turned off the Propane to our refrigerator when it was low and run the rv frig on the batteries for a week until we could get the propane tanks refilled.

Lead acid batteries will not do all of this and will only last for maybe 4 years, how do we know, my husband had for years used 4 big 115Ah a peace lead acid batteries hooked in parallel for 12 volt system and we were never Happy as we are now.

Yes we do have a 8000 generator we carry for emergencies but so far for the last two years we have had to drain the gas once the summer is over, we don't use it like we did before.

Everything I mentioned can be found at Amazon except the Lithium Iron Phosphate Batteries, they are best to buy from Aliexpress, yes from China where all these batteries are basically made anyway. 
Aliexpress has companies that will build the batteries from scratch and test them and Balance Charge them for you and provide Free Shipping to your door but because they do all this it takes about 5 to 6 weeks to get the batteries.
Yes we have bought 16 batteries from them 8 (eight) for us and 8 (eight) for my husband best friend and built the same system for his big 40 foot toy hauler we have.    

My husband did all this himself before he found the Youtube Sites that can help you build this for not only your RV but Home as well.

My husband built ours for about $2000.   

Here is a forum that can help: DIY Solar
Here is the young man's youtube channel: Channel

Whoa...nice set up!7,168 Wh is quite big .

I have buyed from ali Express earlyer, can you give me the seller details? LiFePO4 (Lithium Iron-Phosphate ) would be the best battery to me because it last longer ..i am not good in DIY electrical/batterys things thought, that`s why i like to buy product that is ready to use , do they build all in Ali Express ,with inverters and all ?

$2000 for all those is very good price to me.

Something just tell`s me....SHTF day is coming , and i would like to have some electricity .

Thanks for the links!
For anyone that is interested about the above post and Solar.
Here are some of our purchases' and cost. 
[Image: 4x-Liitokala-3-2V-280Ah-lifepo4-battery-....jpg_.webp] for a total of 8 batteries the cost comes to $914.98 after tax and with free shipping.

Those are copper bus bars coated with tin.
[Image: DALY-8S-24V-Lifepo4-Lithium-Battery-Prot....jpg_.webp] the 150 amp BMS is $81.90 with free shipping.

The MPPT [Image: 51ppafrIpmL._AC_SL1001_.jpg]About this item
  • ❶TRIRON N series 30a mppt controller, an update series of Tracer A/AN Series controller, can be integrated with different display and interface modules to meet a variety of functional requirements. Can automatically identify and load the drivers of various modules.
  • ❷Negative ground designed of this 30a module mppt controller can be widely used for different applications, e.g., communication base stations, household systems, street lighting systems and field monitoring, RV solar system etc.
  • ❸7 battery type selection Sealed(AGM), Gel, Flooded, Lead-acid User, LiFePO4 Lithium, Li(NiCoMn)O2 Lithium, Lithium User(9~34V). Dual 5V DC USB output interface of this mppt controller can charge your electronic devices directly.
  • ❹Real-Time energy statistic function, View/modify working parameters via APP or PC software via RS485 interface.(Optional). Four stages of charging(bulk, absorption, float, Equalization) and all-around electronic protection prolong the lifecycle of batteries.
  • ❺Three Indicator with different color show your PV/Battery/Load working Status more Intuitive; FIve Button to adjust and browsing system's parameters in more simpler way.
Cost from Amazon $139.60

[Image: 81FNU8qQ-VL._AC_SL1500_.jpg]
  • 【New Design】Smaller in Size, Same Output, Higher Cells Effciency Compare to Most Other Brands
  • Dimension:44.49*19.88*1.18Inch High winds (2400PA) and snow loads (5400PA)
  • Maximum power (Pmax): 100W Voltage at Pmax (Vmp):16.77V Current at Pmax (Imp): 6.26A
  • Diodes are pre-installed in junction box, with a pair of pre-attached 3ft MC4 Cable
  • 25-year transferable power output warranty
Cost from Amazon, $89.99 each, we have 4.

[Image: 71HipypmZVS._AC_SL1500_.jpg]
  • GoWISE Power PURE SINE Power Inverter 3000W Continuous/6000W Surge, 12V DC to 120V AC w/ Black and Red Cables w/ Ring Terminals, Remote Switch, 5 kinds of Protection Systems and 4 Output Sockets
  • Ideal use in cars, vessels, and for power failure emergencies and s maximum efficiency with computers, sensitive equipment, and more
  • 5 Protection systems: Thermal protection, Overload protection, Over Voltage protection, Under Voltage protection, Low Voltage protection alarm
  • Total Harmonic Distortion (THD) <3%; Soft start low interference tech and temperature control cooling fan. Output Voltage: AC 120V; Frequency: 60Hz
Cost on Amazon $369.99

Frist, I am sorry the pictures are so large,,,, Secondly, everything is a little more expensive than 3 years ago.

I hope this helps some of you interested in Solar. Yes, Yes, it can be done by YOU, no professional needs to charge you $180. an hour to wire this.
All the instructions comes with every product you see here and every product has a help phone number and website and email address and my husband did talk to them. 
The items from China you need to understand take longer for a response because they are 15 hours ahead of us.

But I am always here and tys of-course you can ask my husband here for help or advise, he is always around.
@guohua

Thanks! I will definitely bookmark this post and keep it in mind for time when could buy those. Seems like i could save money if choose those ....

Yeeh i could pay someone to do the work , no problem.

I recently had 2-3 day electricity blackout here, and it was not fun...It remind me that i better have something in future , prepared better .
(07-19-2021, 06:45 AM)727Sky Wrote: Last week there was a major CME/solar flare that luckily erupted from the back side of the sun from our position. The visual I must say is impressive.

I have been listening to Suspicious Observer for a lot of years. Way back before him and BP Earth had that major run in.

Have you watched his "The Next Disaster" series?

He gives us a lot to think about.

For every one person that read this post. About 7.99 billion have not. 

Yet I still post.  tinyinlove
  • minusculebeercheers 

(07-19-2021, 08:02 PM)Kenzo Wrote: @guohua

Thanks! I will definitely bookmark this post and keep it in mind for time when could buy those. Seems like i could save money if choose those ....

I recently had 2-3 day electricity blackout here, and it was not fun...It remind me that i better have something in future , prepared better.

Try doing that for almost three months.

In all honesty, it was quite pleasant. Of course it wasn't pure caveman style. I had my car and access to all the modern conveniences, just a few miles away. I just didn't have any electricity at my house. Plus my Brother, not more than a mile away, has a whole house generator, so I would take my Mom for a warm shower two or three times a week. My Brother tried to get us to stay with him, but we preferred eating at home with the critters, and our little propane stove works just fine for two people. We don't need a lot. 

With no air conditioning I had no problem showering with the hose and and the guzzler.Thank God for the screened in porches. Another added benefit to living in the woods, you can go au naturale and there is no one to see.

One huge disadvantage, is you are the last to have your electricity restored when all the lines are down by a hurricane. It took them two and a half months to get electricity back out to us. It was a learning experience. I learned the importance of good neighbors, the importance of being frugal, the importance of commonsense, and the importance of preparation.

We survived without electricity before. It is one Hell of an inconvenience, but we have lived without it a lot more years on this planet than we have lived with it.

• minusculebeercheers 

@"Kenzo"  and @"BIAD" 

There is a cheaper way, you need a 8000 or 9000 watt peak Generator (really this depends and how many refrigerators/freezers and A/C units you want to run) and make a Deadman cable/Suicide Cable, use a heavy duty electric cord and plug one end into the generator and the other into your home wall plug.

Plug into house before starting Generator, DO NOT TOUCH END!!!! Hence the the name Suicide or Deadman Cable.
My husband made ours for our home, our stove is 220 volts so I use a 3 burner propane outside if we need to use a stove.
We have a large A/C unit we can roll from room to room so as to not try and run the big house A/C.
Our 8000 watt Generator will run all three Refrigerators and 4 Freezers and ceiling fans and lights, No Problem.
Why so many Refrigerators and Freezers?
Many of my Herbs need to be kept cool or frozen, plus I made my own Kapucha and other remedies that need to be in liquid form and chilled. 

My husband just informed me that most people can just use a 5500 watt generator, we have many items running where most people don't.
He did fix a system for our neighbor with this Portable Generator, 3600 Rated and 4650 Peak Watts they bought for $340. and my husband made a Suicide cord for him.

@"Kenzo"  You live in Australia don't you??? I may be wrong, but if you do, Off-Grid Garage this guy does and he has a lot of great stuff on his youtube site. 
He even charges his Tesla with his solar, he is running a 48 volt system with 16 Lithium Iron Phosphate Batteries, I guess everything there is 220/240 volts standard. 
I think he just purchased another 16 of the same batteries. you might want to look at his videos.

A Deadman cable/Suicide Cable Looks like this.
[Image: img_0425.jpg]
Some more information...

(07-20-2021, 03:55 AM)ABNARTY Wrote: Some more information...

Yup, he is one of the better sun watchers to listen to.
I think we are going to get hit next week and the Left will Blame Climate Change and Global Warming for the outages and extreme heat.
(07-20-2021, 05:09 AM)guohua Wrote: Yup, he is one of the better sun watchers to listen to.
I think we are going to get hit next week and the Left will Blame Climate Change and Global Warming for the outages and extreme heat.

I like BP Earth also. I have been listening to him, long before Ben Davidson.

They each have their own way of thinking and delivery. Ben took some time before I could trust him. He has changed a lot over the years.

I listen to them both, along with Dutchsinse, who has really had come a long way.

• minusculebeercheers 

(07-19-2021, 04:15 PM)Mystic Wanderer Wrote: That is scary.   tinyhuh

I could survive if there were a food supply shortage, but who could survive if EVERYTHING went bye-bye; food, electricity, water, transportation, AIR CONDITIONING?   tinysurprised

We seem to have been lucky with a lot of near misses lately. Our luck is bound to run out eventually.

I was out walking my dog and made a trip through the woods. Your question came to mind. "How would we survive if all the food was gone?"

I looked around the woods and saw quite a few perennials, that would provide substance, even though they are not long on flavor.

I read that the coco plum leaves were edible, so I chewed on one. About an hour later I had some itchy wheals popping up on my arms and legs.

I laughed at myself because I realized that the time to test for what you can and cannot eat in the wild, is not when you are starving. Now is probably a good time.

tinylaughing

• minusculebeercheers 

(07-19-2021, 11:58 PM)guohua Wrote: @"Kenzo"  and @"BIAD" 

There is a cheaper way, you need a 8000 or 9000 watt peak Generator (really this depends and how many refrigerators/freezers and A/C units you want to run) and make a Deadman cable/Suicide Cable, use a heavy duty electric cord and plug one end into the generator and the other into your home wall plug.

Plug into house before starting Generator, DO NOT TOUCH END!!!! Hence the the name Suicide or Deadman Cable.
My husband made ours for our home, our stove is 220 volts so I use a 3 burner propane outside if we need to use a stove.
We have a large A/C unit we can roll from room to room so as to not try and run the big house A/C.
Our 8000 watt Generator will run all three Refrigerators and 4 Freezers and ceiling fans and lights, No Problem.
Why so many Refrigerators and Freezers?
Many of my Herbs need to be kept cool or frozen, plus I made my own Kapucha and other remedies that need to be in liquid form and chilled. 

My husband just informed me that most people can just use a 5500 watt generator, we have many items running where most people don't.
He did fix a system for our neighbor with this Portable Generator, 3600 Rated and 4650 Peak Watts they bought for $340. and my husband made a Suicide cord for him.

@"Kenzo"  You live in Australia don't you??? I may be wrong, but if you do, Off-Grid Garage this guy does and he has a lot of great stuff on his youtube site. 
He even charges his Tesla with his solar, he is running a 48 volt system with 16 Lithium Iron Phosphate Batteries, I guess everything there is 220/240 volts standard. 
I think he just purchased another 16 of the same batteries. you might want to look at his videos.

A Deadman cable/Suicide Cable Looks like this.
[Image: img_0425.jpg]

I did not know there even is that kind of option available as using Suicide Cable.....good to know there is. I was looking also this, a generator with ATS (Automatic Transfer Switch) ...or would also get reserve power switch/dual power switch to house and in case of blackout just go and switch power to generator . There are so many generators to choose, was yesterday looking this one :

Könner & Söhnen

Would it be one way to have good generator and get a lot those Lithium Iron Phosphate Batteries which would be charged with the generator , that way would not have to keep the generator allways on tinywondering but take power from the batterys .

thanks for the links . Not from Australia, but Finland .
@"Kenzo" 
OK Finland, that is GREAT!
Beautiful Country there.

That diesel generator is Far, Far, better  than a Gas generator and not as loud, will last much longer.
Yes, you could use a generator to charge the batteries, just be sure that with Lithium Iron Phosphate batteries you have a BMS connected through a Really Good MPPT that you can program so you don't Over Charge those batteries, they are at 100% when they read 13.6 volts much more over that and you take the life of your battery away, they will last you a good 10 to 15 years if kept charged correctly and not charged if it is 30 degrees or freezing. Keep these batteries warm with a light on or a heated blanket in the winter if the temperature gets to freezing.

Those links I attached in the other post can help you and others to understand these GREAT batteries. We have used these batteries now for three years and not a problem, we never go to camp grounds and plug into power, we Boondock/dry camp bring more water in a 40 gallon tank and we are good for two weeks.
We usually go for two weeks every month, have not this month due to my husbands VA appointments.
We don't have to worry about freezing weather here in Arizona.

My husband does have a 100 watt light bulb he can plug into the inverter and turn on just over the batteries if we are up north in the winter camping.
(07-19-2021, 10:06 PM)NightskyeB4Dawn Wrote:
(07-19-2021, 08:02 PM)Kenzo Wrote: @guohua

I recently had 2-3 day electricity blackout here, and it was not fun...It remind me that i better have something in future , prepared better.

Try doing that for almost three months.

In all honesty, it was quite pleasant. Of course it wasn't pure caveman style. I had my car and access to all the modern conveniences, just a few miles away. I just didn't have any electricity at my house. Plus my Brother, not more than a mile away, has a whole house generator, so I would take my Mom for a warm shower two or three times a week. My Brother tried to get us to stay with him, but we preferred eating at home with the critters, and our little propane stove works just fine for two people. We don't need a lot. 

With no air conditioning I had no problem showering with the hose and and the guzzler.Thank God for the screened in porches. Another added benefit to living in the woods, you can go au naturale and there is no one to see.

One huge disadvantage, is you are the last to have your electricity restored when all the lines are down by a hurricane. It took them two and a half months to get electricity back out to us. It was a learning experience. I learned the importance of good neighbors, the importance of being frugal, the importance of commonsense, and the importance of preparation.

We survived without electricity before. It is one Hell of an inconvenience, but we have lived without it a lot more years on this planet than we have lived with it.

Three months is long long time tinywhat  , well you are more prepared now if the next comes. For me the allmost three day blackout was not nice experience. I would like to get all sort of stuf that make me independent, but right no i dont have any money to buy things .

Hopefully i can get some stuff later before something happen tinysure
(07-20-2021, 06:23 AM)guohua Wrote: @"Kenzo" 
OK Finland, that is GREAT!
Beautiful Country there.

That diesel generator is Far, Far, better  than a Gas generator and not as loud, will last much longer.
Yes, you could use a generator to charge the batteries, just be sure that with Lithium Iron Phosphate batteries you have a BMS connected through a Really Good MPPT that you can program so you don't Over Charge those batteries, they are at 100% when they read 13.6 volts much more over that and you take the life of your battery away, they will last you a good 10 to 15 years if kept charged correctly and not charged if it is 30 degrees or freezing. Keep these batteries warm with a light on or a heated blanket in the winter if the temperature gets to freezing.

Those links I attached in the other post can help you and others to understand these GREAT batteries. We have used these batteries now for three years and not a problem, we never go to camp grounds and plug into power, we Boondock/dry camp bring more water in a 40 gallon tank and we are good for two weeks.
We usually go for two weeks every month, have not this month due to my husbands VA appointments.
We don't have to worry about freezing weather here in Arizona.

My husband does have a 100 watt light bulb he can plug into the inverter and turn on just over the batteries if we are up north in the winter camping.

Thanks for the information!  Yes keeping batterys warm sound good idea .
(07-20-2021, 04:20 PM)Kenzo Wrote: Three months is long long time tinywhat  , well you are more prepared now if the next comes. For me the allmost three day blackout was not nice experience. I would like to get all sort of stuf that make me independent, but right no i dont have any money to buy things .

Hopefully i can get some stuff later before somethng happen tinysure

This is how I look at it, but don't take it to the bank, because I am no expert.

But if things go South, you may not be able to hunker down. There are a lot of things that can happen, that could make it necessary to leave. Fire, weather, invasion, the list continues. And you will not be able to travel quickly, with a huge amount of stores.

If you stay any one place, relying solely on stores, it will eventually be depleted.

I used to believe in stores, but I now only keep enough to get me through a week or two. Long enough for the road to be cleared and a possible passage out of the woods, if we need out. For us, there is only one road in, and one road out, and the majority of it is private owned, and privately maintained. No government to the rescue.

I know most of the local edibles, and I try to stay aware of the perennials, because they could make a huge difference when the cupboards go bare.

So I would spend time, protecting the local edibles, your neighbors may hate you, but dandelions are good eating, and healthy for you.

• minusculebeercheers