Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The Spitfire production the battle of Briton and the men who flew them
I have actually been up close to a Spitfire and a BF-109 but never had the chance to fly either. The workmanship on the BF was superior as far as fit and finish and rivets as the Brits were under supreme pressure to get the Spit out the door and flying. Later models did improve in the fit and finish department however having said that the Spitfire was the aircraft I would have wanted to fly. I had a friend that flew BF-109s in the war . He had some rather interesting stories especially about attacking the bomber formations. He survived the war by not being stupid and by being very very lucky..
That is a great video my husband says, he watches those on Youtube. He always wanted to learn to fly.
That and the Submarine youtube videos.
Here is the link Mr. G gave me Link
Once A Rogue, Always A Rogue!
[Image: attachment.php?aid=936]
(07-01-2021, 08:28 AM)727Sky Wrote: I have actually been up close to a Spitfire and a BF-109 but never had the chance to fly either. The workmanship on the BF was superior as far as fit and finish and rivets as the Brits were under supreme pressure to get the Spit out the door and flying. Later models did improve in the fit and finish department however having said that the Spitfire was the aircraft I would have wanted to fly. I had a friend that flew BF-109s in the war . He had some rather interesting stories especially about attacking the bomber formations. He survived the war by not being stupid and by being very very lucky..

On my watch-list, I've read only some about the Spitfire's capabilities and I know it's a helluva aircraft.
(I also know it would be great to see one in Sky's hands!)
tinybiggrin
Edith Head Gives Good Wardrobe. 
And those in the know, actual fliers,   (nearly all gone or in their 90's)    and Docents at air musems would likely know offhand........

...anyone in aviation even to today would know.....
[Image: A-Spitfire-Mk-IIa-flies-alongside-a-Hawk...ir-For.jpg]These were the Baddest Ass'est there was. 

They got so much right with this design
They will simply say after being asked, the Spitfire was the baddest of the Bad.

(07-01-2021, 05:19 PM)guohua Wrote: That is a great video my husband says, he watches those on Youtube. He always wanted to learn to fly.
That and the Submarine youtube videos.
Here is the link Mr. G gave me Link

Yep I watched everyone of the "silent service" TV programs when they were airing way back when.. One of the reasons I wanted to fly !!! hahahaha
(07-01-2021, 05:52 PM)BIAD Wrote:
(07-01-2021, 08:28 AM)727Sky Wrote: I have actually been up close to a Spitfire and a BF-109 but never had the chance to fly either. The workmanship on the BF was superior as far as fit and finish and rivets as the Brits were under supreme pressure to get the Spit out the door and flying. Later models did improve in the fit and finish department however having said that the Spitfire was the aircraft I would have wanted to fly. I had a friend that flew BF-109s in the war . He had some rather interesting stories especially about attacking the bomber formations. He survived the war by not being stupid and by being very very lucky..

On my watch-list, I've read only some about the Spitfire's capabilities and I know it's a helluva aircraft.
(I also know it would be great to see one in Sky's hands!)
tinybiggrin

You arrange the Spit and get a manual while you are at it... Just tell me when and where..I will be there !!!!
I have been binge watching What Mr. G recommended as it has been a long time since I saw these episodes. Growing up I built many model airplanes but I must admit there were a few subs I built for the bath tub and the stock tank !
To many great deeds have been buried in the sands and waters of history; all but forgotten to never even know what actually happened much less the reasons for so many souls to give up their lives.

As I recall, it was around 1957-58 or so, and seeing Silent Service was a daily thing. We were lucky and had a TV so I remember the surfacing Sub, and at 6 or so,  was absolutely amazed.
@"BIAD" 
Mr.G here, yes Mrs. G actually gave me the keyboard,,,, There Is A God!!!!!

I think most of our Galant Submariners lost their lives because of Faulty Torpedo's and the War Department's / Ordinance Departments Failure to Listen to the Men using that Faulty Torpedo.
Once A Rogue, Always A Rogue!
[Image: attachment.php?aid=936]
(07-02-2021, 04:54 PM)guohua Wrote: @"BIAD" 
Mr.G here, yes Mrs. G actually gave me the keyboard,,,, There Is A God!!!!!

I think most of our Galant Submariners lost their lives because of Faulty Torpedo's and the War Department's / Ordinance Departments Failure to Listen to the Men using that Faulty Torpedo.

Yep I heard the same thing... Fast forward to Viet Nam and the missiles the F-4s were carrying up North that were duds.. Fire two and hope one works.. I wonder how many other dudlies of other designs are all show an no action as of today ?