Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
US Infrastructure: Why can't we have nice things?
If you've ever wondered why we can't build things like we used to in America, the video is eye opening. 

Specifically, this deals with infrastructure in the traditional sense. Roads, bridges, buildings, etc. Not infrastructure in the woke-sense where anything and everything is considered such. 

The government smothers projects with environmental red tape which does little to protect the environment. Contractors who bid on projects suffer from abysmal management. Their only concern is snagging the contract. They care little about a quality product and no one will hold their cost over-runs accountable. So throwing a ton of money at something only means someone will get rich. It does not produce a worthy infrastructure. 

Other countries in the world can do the things we used to do. Kinda' sad really.   

Translation: 
We can't do it anymore because all the big bureaucrats steal all the money for themselves, then they have the delay to give them time to make money off the interest from the stolen money before putting it back into the project.  
@"ABNARTY" 

You ought to check out Jim Kunstler's book "The Geography of Nowhere".  His "Long Emergency" is also a good read.

One of the things about Europe I enjoy is there is still a lot of the old, classic infrastructure intact.  Much more visually pleasing than the steel/glass/concrete modern nightmare.

Cheers
[Image: 14sigsepia.jpg]

(06-04-2021, 05:37 AM)Mystic Wanderer Wrote:
Translation: 
We can't do it anymore because all the big bureaucrats steal all the money for themselves, then they have the delay to give them time to make money off the interest from the stolen money before putting it back into the project.  

If you or I did it, it would be called "theft".
(06-04-2021, 07:07 AM)F2d5thCav Wrote: @"ABNARTY" 

You ought to check out Jim Kunstler's book "The Geography of Nowhere".  His "Long Emergency" is also a good read.

One of the things about Europe I enjoy is there is still a lot of the old, classic infrastructure intact.  Much more visually pleasing than the steel/glass/concrete modern nightmare.

Cheers

Thanks for the recommendations. 

The Roman wall running through London always fascinated me. Here is a modern city with an ancient wall just sitting in the middle of it. The juxtaposition just won't let me go.