Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Britain in Space!!!??
Yes, there was a British Interplanetary Society wanted to go to the moon  minusculebeercheers

Once A Rogue, Always A Rogue!
[Image: attachment.php?aid=936]
Yes, I recall the British Interplanetary Society's "Project Daedalus" from the 1970's. I ran across their report from the study in a college library, and that is what sparked my interest in mapping the nearby stars in 3 dimensions. Well, that and the Betty Hill star map from 1964... btw, Ms. Hill's star map was not of Zeta Reticuli as folks claim. There were fundamental errors in the interpretation of it that the researchers failed to account for. I spoke with Stanton Friedman about it before he died, but he was so invested in the ZetRet theory that he could not, or would not, see what I was saying.

I believe that Ms. Hill's map actually shows the view from the vicinity of Beta Comae Berenices. However, since that star is near the north Galactic pole (within 1 degree of it) as seen from Earth, it could instead be a more generic view from that general direction.

Diogenes was eating bread and lentils for supper. He was seen by the philosopher Aristippus, who lived comfortably by flattering the king.

Said Aristippus, ‘If you would learn to be subservient to the king you would not have to live on lentils.’ Said Diogenes, ‘Learn to live on lentils and you will not have to be subservient to the king.’

Ah yes, the British attempt to get into the space-race... it was a proud moment when the first official UK space program was
swung into action in 1959. Following such a daring announcement, the UK has one -count them, one satellite successfully
placed in orbit.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=9455]
tinywondering
Some may argue that tea cannot be served properly in zero-gravity or that the confines of a rocket doesn't take into consideration
the conveying of an umbrella at all times are the true dilemmas of why Great Britain could be perceived as a poor cousin to the
US and Russia for such pioneering work.

But I fear the lack of galactic exploration from this rainy isle may have something to do with country's inborn dislike of spending
money and the absence of a need to queue out there among the stars.
tinycrying

We do have British astronauts, I believe the late-Alan Rickman qualifies for this title and of course, who can forget Professor
Bernard Quatermass and his endeavours to get a Limey above the stratosphere.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=9456]
(Left)Alan Rickman, the first man on Mars... or was it Marston Moor?
(Right) Quatermass and two highly-equipped laboratory employees.

But there's still a long way to go... helmets that resemble bowler-hats currently reside on the drawing board and the problem
of boiled food being being altered for space-travel sustenance, factors that the UK will have to overcome in order to play a part
in the big league.

Here's what we're presently working on.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=9457]

tinybiggrin

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Edith Head Gives Good Wardrobe. 
Hard to serve tea in space. That hypothesis cannot be underestimated. If you can't have tea, why bother going?