Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The Antonine Plague
Many, many moons ago, there was a plague that spread through the Roman empire. It just feels like it is eerily similar to what is going on today. 

Quote:
Quote:At the height of the Antonine Plague, up to 3,000 ancient Romans dropped dead every single day.

The disease was first cited during the reign of the last of the Five Good Emperors, Marcus Aurelius Antoninus, in 165 or 166 A.D. Even though how the pandemic began remains unknown, one Greek physician named Galen managed to document the outbreak itself in startling detail.
Victims suffered for two weeks from fever, vomiting, thirstiness, coughing, and a swollen throat. Others experienced red and black papules on the skin, foul breath, and black diarrhea. Nearly ten percent of the empire perished this way.
Known as both the Antonine Plague and the Plague of Galen, the pandemic did eventually subside, seemingly as mysteriously as it had come.
The Antonine Plague rendered the empire of Ancient Rome a kind of Hell. Indeed, the most powerful empire of its time was utterly helpless in the face of this invisible killer.

https://allthatsinteresting.com/antonine...ryz_9tK7ZQ
Just an interesting read. 
minusculebeercheers
The Truth is Out There, Somewhere
Good thread. Thank you @"kdog" 

Crazy stuff.

"Galen" is Swedish by the way. It means crazy.
"Man is fully responsible for his nature and his choices."

-Jean-Paul Sartre
There were two other plagues before this one, and many more after. 

Seems the world has suffered plagues since the beginning of mankind, but the Antonine Plague does sound very similar to the Covid-19 pandemic. 

Here are 20 of the worst epidemics and plagues in history:  Linky
(04-07-2021, 05:38 PM)Mystic Wanderer Wrote: There were two other plagues before this one, and many more after. 

Seems the world has suffered plagues since the beginning of mankind, but the Antonine Plague does sound very similar to the Covid-19 pandemic. 

That was interesting.  Thank for posting.
(04-07-2021, 05:38 PM)Mystic Wanderer Wrote: There were two other plagues before this one, and many more after. 

It doesn't sound real similar to me. I notice a big discrepancy between a 25% fatality rate and a 2% fatality rate.

The mention of "black diarrhea" in the description of symptoms indicates internal hemorrhage in the intestinal tract. I for one am sort of glad covid-19 ain't doing that!

Your link to the historic plagues is enlightening. Somehow humanity managed to survive them, but now we are supposed to believe a flu with an average fatality rate is gonna do us all in?

Diogenes was eating bread and lentils for supper. He was seen by the philosopher Aristippus, who lived comfortably by flattering the king.

Said Aristippus, ‘If you would learn to be subservient to the king you would not have to live on lentils.’ Said Diogenes, ‘Learn to live on lentils and you will not have to be subservient to the king.’

I guess I was misunderstood. 

I was comparing the Roman empire to ours. How many plagues did it take to take the empire down? That, and the change in beliefs of old God's to the new one. 

What are we seeing today, a change in our culture and belief system.
The Truth is Out There, Somewhere
Sounds like a gruesome way to go. 

Back when a plague was a plague. You know - puking blood, pustulating open sores, black diarrhea. The good old days.