Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Cicada Cookies
It's Cicada time around here. Cicadas live under ground and only come out every 17 years. (There's that number again!)
They are good for the soil and make good food for birds and snakes when they come out. 

Be warned! Copperhead snakes love them and will hide up in trees waiting to catch them. So, if you happen to be out in the woods, look up every now and then to be on the safe side. 

Something that has been talked about now is how healthy Cicadas are for humans. They are said to be full of protein and other good nutrients, and they taste like lobster. 
Today, I saw this picture of cicada cookies on FB.  Don't they look yummy?!   tinyhuh
[Image: Cicada-Cookies.png]
I don't care how healthy bugs are for us, I'm not eating them unless I'm actually starving with no other food. 
How about you?
I can almost feel the legs in my teeth. 

I think if I was hungry I could eat them but I really hope it never comes to that.
(05-24-2021, 11:35 PM)VioletDove Wrote: I can almost feel the legs in my teeth. 

I think if I was hungry I could eat them but I really hope it never comes to that.

@"VioletDove", the legs, yeah.  Eweee!  But I think what would get me the most is the 'crunch-crunch' of the body between my teeth.    minusculepuke

I'd have to have gone weeks without food to ever even think of eating bugs.   tinybigeyes
If it comes down to it, fine. I'll eat some bugs. Survival situation and all that. 

However...

If you have the means to bake them into cookies, we are not at that point yet. And no one is going to brow beat me into feeling guilty for eating protein a little further up the food chain. 

All I can think about are the frog leg cup cakes in The Waterboy  tinylaughing tinylaughing tinylaughing
(05-24-2021, 11:20 PM)Mystic Wanderer Wrote: It's Cicada time around here. Cicadas live under ground and only come out every 17 years. (There's that number again!)
They are good for the soil and make good food for birds and snakes when they come out. 

Be warned! Copperhead snakes love them and will hide up in trees waiting to catch them. So, if you happen to be out in the woods, look up every now and then to be on the safe side. 

Something that has been talked about now is how healthy Cicadas are for humans. They are said to be full of protein and other good nutrients, and they taste like lobster. 
Today, I saw this picture of cicada cookies on FB.  Don't they look yummy?!   tinyhuh
[Image: Cicada-Cookies.png]
I don't care how healthy bugs are for us, I'm not eating them unless I'm actually starving with no other food. 
How about you?

Fuck THAT! I've eaten a lot of gross things in my time, but I gotta draw the line somewhere. I'd be more likely to eat the other guy that fattened himself up on cicadas than to eat the cicadas directly. I'm not above eating a copperhead, but I ain't eating no cicadas. My dad told me I ate ants as a little kid, and our daughter used to sit out in the yard when she was little and eat fire ants, saying "they're spicy!", but cicada guts are just too damn gooey for me, and I dunno how to gut the bastards!

Diogenes was eating bread and lentils for supper. He was seen by the philosopher Aristippus, who lived comfortably by flattering the king.

Said Aristippus, ‘If you would learn to be subservient to the king you would not have to live on lentils.’ Said Diogenes, ‘Learn to live on lentils and you will not have to be subservient to the king.’

I'll eat bugs, when my life literally depends on it.
They still probably taste better than Liver, fuck that though!
I was born with a Thorn in my Soul, sometimes it hurts.

Nature gave us one tongue and two ears so we could hear twice as much as we speak.

- Epictetus