Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Spooks and the Man Kicked Off Plane For Not Wearing Mask In Between Bites Of Food
(05-02-2021, 12:34 AM)ABNARTY Wrote: I love aircraft. Always have. Love to fly. I've even been known to jump out if them when the Jumpmaster gives me the high sign. 

Since 9-11, commercial air travel has been death on a stick. Who wants to put up with all that nonsense? Now with the C19 and the masks? Forget it. I won't do it. Not worth it. 

Still love aircraft and flying but the you can keep the circus.

Yeah, I do too (love aircraft and flying).  Not putting up with the new reality of it, tho.

I saw my first big passenger airliner when I was 17.  I was amazed...and ridiculed by some people nearby.   LOL!    Like I cared even back then.  I still remember the wonder.   And the takeoffs and landings!  

Airborne, huh?  How are your knees?   My husbands' are starting to show their history.  Jumping sounds like so much fun.   If I didn't have osteoporosis, I would sign up for a tandem jump.  

I had a friend who jumped for fun.   He described one episode where the landing wasn't going as anticipated.   He had to choose between wires and hogs.  His thoughts?   "Don't tell me I survived everything only to be eaten by pigs."   I'll never forget it.   He made it.   My maternal grandfather wasn't so lucky.   Eaten by hogs....not from a jump, but probably from misadventure.  (Drunk?  Pushed in by someone who was tired of his drunkenness?  Who knows.)  Anyway, I digress.....
(05-02-2021, 09:30 AM)drussell41 Wrote: I had a friend who jumped for fun.   He described one episode where the landing wasn't going as anticipated.   He had to choose between wires and hogs.  His thoughts?   "Don't tell me I survived everything only to be eaten by pigs."   I'll never forget it.   He made it.   My maternal grandfather wasn't so lucky.   Eaten by hogs....not from a jump, but probably from misadventure.  (Drunk?  Pushed in by someone who was tired of his drunkenness?  Who knows.)  Anyway, I digress.....

maybe he just went to sleep, just for a minute...

Diogenes was eating bread and lentils for supper. He was seen by the philosopher Aristippus, who lived comfortably by flattering the king.

Said Aristippus, ‘If you would learn to be subservient to the king you would not have to live on lentils.’ Said Diogenes, ‘Learn to live on lentils and you will not have to be subservient to the king.’

(05-02-2021, 09:30 AM)drussell41 Wrote:
(05-02-2021, 12:34 AM)ABNARTY Wrote: I love aircraft. Always have. Love to fly. I've even been known to jump out if them when the Jumpmaster gives me the high sign. 

Since 9-11, commercial air travel has been death on a stick. Who wants to put up with all that nonsense? Now with the C19 and the masks? Forget it. I won't do it. Not worth it. 

Still love aircraft and flying but the you can keep the circus.

Yeah, I do too (love aircraft and flying).    Not putting up with the new reality of it, tho.

I saw my first big passenger airliner when I was 17.  I was amazed...and ridiculed by some people nearby.   LOL!    Like I cared even back then.  I still remember the wonder.   And the takeoffs and landings!  

Airborne, huh?  How are your knees?   My husbands' are starting to show their history.  Jumping sounds like so much fun.   If I didn't have osteoporosis, I would sign up for a tandem jump.  

I had a friend who jumped for fun.   He described one episode where the landing wasn't going as anticipated.   He had to choose between wires and hogs.  His thoughts?   "Don't tell me I survived everything only to be eaten by pigs."   I'll never forget it.   He made it.   My maternal grandfather wasn't so lucky.   Eaten by hogs....not from a jump, but probably from misadventure.  (Drunk?  Pushed in by someone who was tired of his drunkenness?  Who knows.)  Anyway, I digress.....

Takes offs are awesome, I agree. One of my favorite things. 

My knees have seen better days. Same with my ankles. Not sure if I would have changed anything. Never landed in hogs though. 

Sounds like a heck of a fate for your Grandfather.
(05-02-2021, 01:11 PM)ABNARTY Wrote: Sounds like a heck of a fate for your Grandfather.

It was all very hush-hush; didn't find out until we were adults.
(05-02-2021, 10:55 AM)Ninurta Wrote:
(05-02-2021, 09:30 AM)drussell41 Wrote: I had a friend who jumped for fun.   He described one episode where the landing wasn't going as anticipated.   He had to choose between wires and hogs.  His thoughts?   "Don't tell me I survived everything only to be eaten by pigs."   I'll never forget it.   He made it.   My maternal grandfather wasn't so lucky.   Eaten by hogs....not from a jump, but probably from misadventure.  (Drunk?  Pushed in by someone who was tired of his drunkenness?  Who knows.)  Anyway, I digress.....

Surely I've heard everything now, given a song about hogs eating someone.  LOL! 

Yep, easily could have been that.  Especially if you're passed-out drunk.
(05-02-2021, 03:29 PM)drussell41 Wrote:
(05-02-2021, 01:11 PM)ABNARTY Wrote: Sounds like a heck of a fate for your Grandfather.

It was all very hush-hush; didn't find out until we were adults.

I can identify. My great grand dad was a ne'er-do-well, but we didn't know how bad until we were grown. Grandpa used to say he was a "professional stump sitter", because he'd sit on a stump and watch the kids do all the work. But when I grew up, I started hearing the rest of the story. He was apparently a hard drinker, prone to go about armed, and had a penchant for house breaking and thieving. He would even steal any grocery money his wife set back, and take it to buy more liquor. When their kids grew up, they'd give her money to live on, and he would steal that for liquor if she didn't hide it well enough.

He died in a mental hospital, with the story to us kids being he got hit by a bus and "addled". It wasn't until we were grown that we found out the real deal - he was probably sent there to "dry out", and did not survive the process.

Diogenes was eating bread and lentils for supper. He was seen by the philosopher Aristippus, who lived comfortably by flattering the king.

Said Aristippus, ‘If you would learn to be subservient to the king you would not have to live on lentils.’ Said Diogenes, ‘Learn to live on lentils and you will not have to be subservient to the king.’

(05-02-2021, 03:31 PM)drussell41 Wrote: Surely I've heard everything now, given a song about hogs eating someone.  LOL! 

Yep, easily could have been that.  Especially if you're passed-out drunk.

Yup, just when you think you've heard it all...

It's an old, old song that I hadn't heard in years, but the story brought it flashing back to the front of my mind. There are still dark tales around here of folks using that as a method of body disposal when they thought a body ought not to be found after certain... altercations. An episode of "Hell on Wheels", in the second season as I recall, also used it as a means to disappear a troublemaker.

I can't even look at a pork chop or a ham in the same way any more!

(05-02-2021, 10:55 AM)Ninurta Wrote:

OMG!!!   smallrofl

Sorry for laughing @"drussell41", but it's not at your granddaddy, it's that song.   tinylaughing
(05-02-2021, 06:38 PM)Ninurta Wrote: He died in a mental hospital, with the story to us kids being he got hit by a bus and "addled". It wasn't until we were grown that we found out the real deal - he was probably sent there to "dry out", and did not survive the process.

Grim times.